Old MacBook Pro NEW Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TyWahn, Dec 28, 2008.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I have a MBP from the summer. I got a new 24" Cinema Display for Christmas.
    I know they have different ports, but I can't find an adapter either. Do they make one?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. Only the new MacBook line works with the LED Cinema Display. Search next time.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not outside the Marketplace, he doesn't.

5. theonetheonly macrumors newbie

?

I looked here and it say's i can not hook up my new cinema display with old macbook. But i did more research and tried more research and I found people that have done it. I have yet to get the new adapter to try to hook it up? So is there any way possible to hook it up.

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

Why don't you ask the people that allegedly did it, apparently using an adapter that does not exist?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It CAN'T be done. They lied.

8. LionsKiss macrumors member

http://www.displayport.org/open/Interoperability.htm

"DisplayPort allows you to connect to any display from a multi-mode capable PC – from legacy CRT monitors to emerging super-sleek displays. From a single connector in your DisplayPort notebook, for instance, you will be able to connect to the DVI port in your desktop display, a VGA port on your CRT or an HDMI port in a high definition display. Simple DisplayPort adaptors enable existing DVI and HDMI cables to be connected to a multimode DisplayPort PC DisplayPort multimode support is indicated by the DP++ icon."

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Let me rephrase that, because I have no idea what the purpose of this post was...

It CAN'T be done because no adapters exist.

10. brentsg macrumors 68030

Not to mention Apple's mini displayport is their own invention, not part of that standard.

11. theonetheonly macrumors newbie

There is another adapter that is coming out!

I did some more research and they did not lie. There is n adapter for $199. There is also an adapter coming out in a month or so that will allow you to. :D

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Link to the adapter or it doesn't exist.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Seriously, if they have an adapter and you can show it to us , you will prove the following people wrong:
    everyone except you, apple representatives, forum regulars, genii, and Apples own advertisement for the new displays ("Introducing the 24-inch LED Cinema Display. It doesn’t just expand the screen of your new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air. With a built-in iSight camera, mic, and speakers, it expands your whole experience.").

This is singlehandedly the biggest grip of every older macbook pro owner who wants the new display (since its the only thing stopping them) and many are desperately seeking a solution. I doubt you hold the key without the rest of the world knowing ;).

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

DVI and DisplayPort are both not owned by Apple, isn't it likely an adapter will come out sooner or later?

15. theonetheonly macrumors newbie

?

It wont let me send the link. But you can go to toms hardware. It is under news.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Um... nope. There should also be no reason that a link would not work. Copy/paste it.

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

He has 3 posts, maybe it won't let him post it yet?

18. akbc macrumors 6502

How can a computer "won't let him" copy/paste the links? Or a browser?

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Marketplace is a forum restriction for this forum alone; linking to websites is built into the code of the forum template. He can do it. The problem lies in having something to link to. ;)

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Don't waste your time lol. I think 'theonetheonly' is referring to the monoprice converters which have already been beaten to death in the peripherals forum.

http://www.macyourself.com/2008/12/11/macbook-owners-rejoice-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-soon/

The only way we will be able to get a converter is an active-circuit conversion with a female mini-displayport to male dvi adapter, which does not exist.

21. akbc macrumors 6502

DVI isn't owned by Apple, but the Mini DisplayPort is.

But Apple is also providing a free license on the specification. So there will be an adopter one day... Just gotta wait :(

22. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I cannot imagine that since Apple discontinued the 23" ACD, that it will definitely come out with an adapter allowing older Macs to connect to the new Apple Cinema Display(s)... I would expect other new displays to be introduced when the desktops are introduced in the next month or two. ALL of the displays will definitely work with older Macs. Apple is not going to ignore ALL of its customers and force everyone to get a new Mac. It is just adding an incentive for early adoption. I would bet money there are new desktops from Apple, new Cinema Displays, and an adapter allowing all Macs with DVI or Mini DVI to connect to the display port (mini).

Before March 30th is my prediction. Could be next week, could be end of March or anywhere in-between.

23. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

That adapter is for going from the Mini DVI port on the old MacBooks to standard DVI, nothing to do with MiniDisplayPort there.
    Those adapters are for going FROM MiniDisplayPort TO HDMI, not the other way around Same adapter you linked at the beginning...

The fact of the matter is that although (Mini)DisplayPort can drive a DVI or VGA display, DisplayPort connector on a monitor NEEDS to be driven by DisplayPort. Part of the reason for DisplayPort was to allow the graphics card to drive the panel in the display, allowing for less electronics in the display housing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Advantages_over_DVI

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B
    [​IMG]

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Apple-MacBook,6707.html
    http://gizmodo.com/5110847/minidisplayport-to-hdmi-cable-coming-to-monoprice-next-month
    [​IMG]
    -to-
    [​IMG]

http://www.cecompass.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=27&gclid=COvo15eUiJgCFRpnQgodvG2fDg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

None of the solutions you posted provide the necessary link to drive the new LED Cinema Display with DVI, which would be :
    [​IMG] (bottom cable)
    to
    [​IMG]

In a nutshell, you are posting solutions that go from female to male or something completely off base all together (mini dvi adapters). At this point in time we need something which will accept the male mini display input from the display and output to male dvi which will go to the female receptacle of the video card.