Old macbook pro vs new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by new-Mac-owner, Feb 29, 2008.

  1. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    #1
    Heres the deal 2 weeks ago I bought a 15in MBP 2.2,2gb ram and 120hdd.I was wondering If its worth it to call apple and ask if I can trade for a new model? or wait and buy a new one in june @ next mbp update
    So if anyones on the same spot please help.-Thanks :apple:
     
  2. bamf macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    #2
    It's only worth calling Apple if you want a faster processor, bigger hard drive, and more video ram. The new low end is the old middle tier machine basically.

    Are you still reading this? You should be calling already...
     
  3. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    #3
    You can read the anandtech's review of the new MB and MBP in compare to the previous model ones. HERE. There isn't much of a speed increase, but you do get better battery life and as soon as more programs incorporate SSE4 instructions then there will probably be no performance gain.

    -JoE
     
  4. KrAyZiE macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #4
    Call. Trade. Wait. Sell. Buy.

    /thread
     
  5. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    #5
    I am very happy with mbp but Im going to call them and post what happens tommorw.:confused:
     
  6. steinlager macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    #6
    can you also ask if what the time limit for trade-in is? I have a 4-month one and if possible I don't mind trading it in for a new Penryn MBP :p
     
  7. KrAyZiE macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #7
    14 days. Your ****ed.
     
  8. emoh macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    #8
    There's a promo running on with one of our local apple retail store. The old mid range MBP 2.4Hz, 2g RAM, 160GB HDD is selling for usd2k and the new penryn base model, BTO with 200GB 7200rpm, remote, VMware fusion cost usd2.1k if I get from EPP. Which do you recommend I should go for? Tks for your opinions.
     
  9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
  10. lauph macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Location:
    30 mins from Cupertino
    #10
    These kind of questions are getting more and more ridiculous.

    How about:
    "I have a Macintosh 128K from 24 years ago and if possible I don't mind trading it in for a new Mac Pro :p"
     
  11. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

    Twe Foju

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Location:
    Jakarta
    #11
    trade man

    why bother to even ask?

    dont worry about the coming update during the mid year

    if you're always thinking about the next update

    you'll never live peacefully
     
  12. higgz macrumors member

    higgz

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #12
    I am a first time mac owner and needed a new laptop... i bought the santa rosa mbp less than a month ago told by all of my friends of an update very soon. If your content with your specs of the one you got now-- I'd keep it and buy a new one next update- that's what I'm going to do :) the multi touch and penryn doesn't do it for me
     
  13. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #13
    your advice seems highly self-contradictory
     
  14. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #14
    guys! i have a 12 inch powerbook..
    do you think i should call apple and ask for an exchange to a penryn?
    i still have apple care..
    and it's not performing the way it used to..
    it's just YEARS" since i bought it?
    what do you think?:D
     
  15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #15
    i think it's better if " LEASING" is an option rather than buying the laptop..
    many customers will be happy to lease for 6 months.. then upgrade.. then upgrade..
    i say Lease an MBP for 1000 for 6 months
     
  16. lauph macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Location:
    30 mins from Cupertino
    #16
    oh good. you have applecare.

    are they any repair records on your powerbook? collect 3 and replacement is on your way.
     
  17. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #17
    sorry, i was being a sarcastic Biyotch!:D
     
  18. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    #18
    Well it looks like ill be getting a new mbp. Due to the fact I bought It a bestbuy apple told me to just return it at buy a new one. And as for the others asking you should just call apple and ask them I was only on the phone for 5 min no waiting time.So good luck to all :D
     
  19. bruno75 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    #19
    I would just keep the one you have and get a new one when the June update comes out. I've been waiting for a mbp for awhile and honestly I was a bit pissed when the Penryn update turned out to be so mild in hardware improvements. I'd have no problem passing up the current update in favor for waiting until June if I had a non-Penryn mbp. If you already plan on updating in June, it's a little crazy to go through all the hassle and money loss by trade-in only to be changing it yet again in a few months. It's not even that pronounced of an update.
     
  20. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
  21. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    #21
    Thats true but its dumb for me not to It wont cost me anything except a few gas bucks to upgrade now
     
  22. bruno75 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    #22
    Trading for a new model only costs you a few gas bucks? How much are you losing in the process?
     
  23. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    #23
    no info on laptop 3 hours of time and thats it.
     
  24. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

    Hls811

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #24
    If it won't cost you anything, then why not get the latest model? Even if you won't notice any performance differences it'll help your resale should you decide to sell it in June.
     
  25. CisternaChyli macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    #25
    i thought about the new one..but the SR 2.4 ghz is going for $1499 at my sister's college book store...so imma grab that one..too good of a deal to pass up :eek::D
     

Share This Page