Old Oven

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imaketouchtheme, Dec 14, 2013.

1. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Anyone know anything about old appliances? I just purchased a house, and the oven in it is extremely old. It's a General Electric and there's no date anywhere. It still works great, but I have a new stove I would like to use. Any idea on when it's from or what it's worth?

Attached Files:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If it has a model number, I'd try searching that.

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Look find the model number and look it up.

You could also probably find a buyer for it as well, that old GE Oven will last longer than your brand new oven will, so there will be people willing to pay decent change for one.

4. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

The model number gives me no search results. I've tried several different ways to search it and nothing.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Are those electrical outlets on the stove?
    That's fancy.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's a 1940's or 1950's Oven. You can tell by the left side oven door that holds pots and pans I believe ?

Our family had one in the 50's.

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

It looks about that era.

Could be worth some money to someone renovating their kitchen with quality/retro appliances.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I'd guessing your range is from the 1950s or 1960s, largely because color appliances didn't come out until the 1950s. The type and design style of the range's controls looks more like late-50s/early-60s, i.e., the row of multiple push buttons on top and the thermometer. There's probably a plate with the model number on the back of the range, which you might be able to use to determine date of manufacture.

People like old ranges, but they usually buy locally because it costs a fortune to ship them.

9. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the help. Does anyone have any idea on how to find out what it's worth?

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Scrap steel is worth about $.15 per pound … so … 25 bucks if you feel like hauling it to the scrapyard?

11. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm sure a perfectly functioning General Electric stove from the 1950s in great condition and the original manuals is worth more than $25, especially selling it for scrap.

Thanks for the input though!

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It's cool looking, sure. But who is going to want to put that in their kitchen? I mean, I realize that mid century modern is the fad-du-jour, but the thing is twice the size of a modern range. Throw it on craigslist … maybe some hipster will think it's cool, and if you do wind up selling it be sure to update us.

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

You would be surprised on how many non hipsters buy stuff like that for doing a retro remodel of a kitchen or man cave, its fairly popular in my area.

Or if you want an Oven that will last a long time, its a great option to. Modern Appliances are not made very well.

----------

If you can find the right buyer, probably a couple hundred dollars for it being in such good condition

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

if it is working properly (including temp controls) and in nice conditions also inside, i would say easily a couple of grants, possibly significantly more depending on how much/little restoration it might need.

the only problem i see from the pic is that mounted on a wall on its side like that, it seems very hard to cook anything with it ;)

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

16. mirz2000 macrumors regular

OMG, what a beauty!! Don't scrap it, there are people who would want to buy it and fix it up for the retro style kitchens. Do you ever go on GardenWeb? There is a kitchens forum there with people who are experts on these sorts of things... they might know where you could sell it (or someone there might want to buy it).

17. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Just a completely arbitrary guess, but I bet the right person would pay $500'ish for it. Retro style, it's clean and in good cosmetic condition, and it actually functions well. Some antique collector/picker out there would be interested in it. Or as others have mentioned, someone looking to add it to a retro style kitchen.

18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I did a quick google image search to see what I could come up with. I saw a lot of similar stoves, but nothing quite like it. I would say it is before 1959. Let us know if you ever get this figured out!

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Here's a pic of a ~30" GE range from 1961, on Ebay, that uses similar design features to the OP's ~40" range., e.g., clock, knobs, top push-buttons, and glass window in oven,

[​IMG]

20. jtara macrumors 65816

21. imaketouchtheme thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to take it to a couple antique dealers in the area for evaluation.