Oldest Mac Mini that can be used as a media server

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TheDrift-, May 31, 2011.

1. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I Would like to pick up a cheap Mac Mini to act as a media server, It would need to be able to pick up my Nas drive...and I would really really like it to be able to play ripit files in format .dvdmedia.

It wouldn't need to do anything much other than that....would one of the older G4 mac minis do?

Any help appreciated..thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you don't plan on playing anything heavier than DVDs/SD videos, then a G4 Mini should be sufficient.

3. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Thanks, I assume you can get a dvi to hdmi lead too?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes. You'll also need an audio cable as dvi is video only.

5. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Even if a PowerPC Mac Mini may be sufficient I would suggest getting an Intel Mac Mini if possible. With PowerPC you are limited to 10.5. Once Lion comes out later this year the trend to drop PowerPC support will accelerate as Lion does not have Rosetta.

Core Duo Minis would be limited to 10.6, but would be supported with security updates for longer than Macs running 10.5. It should also continue to work with new versions of software for longer than a PowerPC Mini.

6. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Thanks

I am less concerned about security as it wont be connected to the internet, and wont hold any sensitive data.....it will be a one trick pony to play my media and thats pretty much it.

The idea being a cheap mac mini will sit under the TV nicely and is probably comparable in cost to decent-ish media player.

7. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

You'll want at least a core 2 duo if you're using wifi, as the core duo is 802.11g. I use a core duo as my media server, but it's plugged into the router.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I would say get a 2009 2.0ghz they can be had for 499 as a refurb with a 1 yr warranty from apple online.

9. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Thanks Just picked up a used one of these, any idea what leads I need to output the sound??

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's got a 3.5mm analogue/optical output.