Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Future iPad Pro and MacBook models equipped with OLED panels will adopt new, specialized display materials, The Elec reports.

Oled-iPads-and-MackBook-Pro-Notch.jpg

Apple has apparently collaborated with LG Display to integrate new OLED material sets in some of its future devices, including forthcoming iPad Pro and MacBook models. LG's "RDE" OLED material set will apparently be used in the upcoming 11- and 13-inch iPad Pro models, while a next-generation MacBook, slated to launch in 2027, will adopt LG's subsequent "RDG" OLED material set.

Historically, LG Display's initial "RD" series material set was indiscriminately applied to both IT products and vehicles, but with "RDE" and subsequent sets, LG aims to demarcate its OLED materials, ensuring specialized applications for different industries. This means that future OLED Apple devices will have access to an OLED materials set that is tailored for its unique requirements.

The OLED panels designed for upcoming iPad Pro and MacBook models features a two-stack tandem structure, which consists of two light-emitting layers stacked together. The two-stack OLED design can generate the same brightness levels as its single-stack counterparts, but with significantly reduced power consumption and extended lifespan. The iPhone currently uses a single stack OLED display with one light-emitting layer.

Article Link: OLED iPad and MacBook Rumored to Feature Specialized Display Materials

Last edited:

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
No Oled for the ipad pro...at least not for the bigger one who has mini-led
So Oled maybe for the ipad air and maybe for the 11" ipad pro
And Oled for the Macbook Airs

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I do hope the next MacBook or IPad I buy has OLED or other high contrast ratio technology. It just looks so so good on TV and other manufacturers devices (and iPhones etc).

But until then I’ll use my current devices until they absolutely need replacing due to wear out or complete lack of software support.

Despite not being OLED or micro LED backlit, I’ve found apple lcd displays to have superior contrast ratios to other LCD panels. Only when in a completely dark room do I really notice the backlight bleed. OLED is perfect for horror movies!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Did I miss something about microLED not working out? I thought it was next screen technology, taking over for OLED in about 2024-25 for computing devices. The big benefit blends unique benefits of OLED (like blackest blacks while overcoming the limitation of OLED like burn in). Did that tech fail? Or was there some big delay for it given this is referencing out to "launching in" 2027?

sleven

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
When I see years like 2027, it makes me wonder how far out micro-led tech is. Almost wish we could skip this oled iteration and go straight there.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Did I miss something about microLED not working out? I thought it was next screen technology, taking over for OLED in about 2024-25 for computing devices. The big benefit blends unique benefits of OLED (like blackest blacks while overcoming the limitation of OLED like burn in). Did that tech fail? Or was there some big delay for it given this is referencing out to "launching in" 2027?

It’s working. It’s just more than what one would reasonably call prohibitively expensive still. Unless there’s a quick advancement on the horizon here, it’ll probably be more like a 203X type of schedule to get economies of scale where small screens are able to be produced.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
while interesting this won’t turn things around in terms of salss

Time to give the MacBook touchscreen and integrate the two and kill off the iPad. Or call it something else like MacBook Touch.

They run the same chipset. Time to rip off the bandaid. Sales are down. Come up with something new.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
The wait for ‘future’ OLED Macs and iPads has become a comedy at this stage. Anyone would think it was bleeding edge technology. It’s 2023. Jokers.
There are no OLED laptop displays that are high resolution, 120hz, and bright. The tech isn’t there yet. That’s why Macs have Mini LED which has all 3 requirements. It’s the best option right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.