OLED is the iPhone X's Appeal...Seeing Will Be Believing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Sep 18, 2017.

1. donster28, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

donster28 macrumors 68000

I myself don't like the notch, but enough with that. I'm still getting the X because I know, the screen will be beautiful.

Gone are the days of 'light bleeding' and 'yellowing, piss-like whites'. OLED will be the X's appeal and once everbody sees the screen in person, I bet they'll jump the fence.

2. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

3. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

If only there had been OLED phones around years ago. Thank goodness apple came along, in their notchy glory, to deliver to us peasants this glorious, new, and experimental technology!

4. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Why do people act like theyve never seen OLED before? Youve seen it in TVs, youve seen it in other phones. It doesnt just magically look better just cause its on an iphone now. Its not a whole new experience.

5. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

Nope. Totally new. A gift from Daddies Tim and Jony, bestowed upon us. Like mana from the heavens.

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

LOL, I’ve got AMOLED device already right next me with a quad HD+ display and way higher PPI than the iPhone X.

Guess what, still ordered a good old LCD 8+.

7. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

The absolute black of OLED displays is a thing of beauty, but I never cared for the over-saturation of color. Also, burn-in.

8. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, but have you actually owned it on your iPhone? I think a lot of us are just relieved that an iPhone will finally have OLED which lessens the disadvantages of regular LCD. I myself dread the ugly backlight bleed that I may get with an LCD.

OLED is not perfect itself I know, but it's a lot more vibrant and I think once X demo units start appearing alongside the 8's people will start noticing.

9. Superhappytree, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

This is what I'm most looking forward to as well. Mainly the deep blacks. Just booting the phone up you will notice it straight away, the screen will be pure black rather than the bright grey-black that we currently have. Not to mention Apple's dedication to colour accuracy combined with that insane contrast ratio. Regarding the piss yellows, I'm hoping we don't have a similar situation on our hands with pink tinted screens which is common with OLEDs. Hopefully we won't have such MacRumors threads like: "Does your iPhone X have a pink tint to it?? returning mine!!" come release day.

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

The other day, I just saw a Galaxy S8 and it has an OLED display.

That Sammy Copycat is back at it again!

11. Chomps1404 macrumors newbie

Samsung galaxies have had amoled displays since the s3

12. WilliamG macrumors G3

Over-saturation is nothing to do with OLED tech itself, fyi. Also, you have to really try to burn in an OLED these days.

13. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

I think you missed the sarcasm.

14. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

The OLED display in the iPhone X is a notch above the rest.

15. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

How do some Apple fanboys feel that Samsung is providing the screen?

16. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

The OLED display in the iPhone X is supplied by Samsung so actually it is onpar, or lesser, than Samsungs displays. Lol

17. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

You should license that meme!

18. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Woosh!

I've always loved OLED displays, particularly in the Galaxy phones. Instantly wanted one when my buddy handed me his S3 or S4 (can't remember which) a few years back.

I've been waiting for one in the iPhone ever since and is the only real reason why I'm upgrading this year. "Oversaturated colors" be damned, I still prefer the look of it.

19. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think you missed the sarcasm lol

20. WilliamG macrumors G3

I can near guarantee you there will not be oversaturated colors on the iPhone X. The only reason people still associate OLED with oversaturated colors is because Samsung introduced their OLED phones with ridiculously-calibrated displays. It's just software doing that.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I’m sure the screen will be great, I hope you enjoy it.

Me personally, it could be the greatest screen ever and I still wouldn’t buy it with the notch and “home bar” or whatever they’re calling it. I have a suspicion that a lot of people will buy it and wish they hadn’t. I’m hoping you’re not one of those people and it’s everything you’re looking for.

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Since the first Galaxy.

23. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Oversaturated, most likely not. Bet they'll definitely be more vibrant than their LCD counterparts. At least I hope so. They seem like it in the hands on videos but it's hard to tell.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Well played, good Sir.

Well played.

25. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

Yeah, it's so much better than the ones in Samsung phones. Samsung set the best panels aside for the iPhone X. When they were making them.