OLED screen in the 3rd gen Touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crackbookpro, Aug 13, 2009.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I feel the iPod Touch could really use an OLED screen for primarily lack of sufficient battery life...

I really don't think it is coming in September, but is it possible Apple has seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and will have one ready for the new Touch release only a month away?

...it makes total sense for the product to implement one, when this iPod Touch is made to be very portable. The battery life is so subpar - I feel anything that can help that particular situation is a big incentive. Of course, they are others roadblocks Apple will face for the OLED screen, but this would be big news for the Touch!

Anyone think this is truly feasible for the 3rd gen iPod Touch?

CrackBookPro:cool:

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

if the Zune HD has one, u don't expect that apple would put one on the ipod touch, one day?????:D

it is possible!

how about if the ipod touch played 720p video!:D

i wonder if that is possible? or do you guys think that the ipod touch 3G is already done, and is currently being tested on?:confused:

3. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I am not worried about the Touch having 720p when the screen is so small to begin with - the resolution is totally fine!

...I am more worried about battery life ;)

...and yes, I do think the iPod Touch is being run in the final phase of testing.

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

That sounds awesome to me. :D

But do u know how much does it cost for apple to put an 720p screen in parts and pieces?:confused:

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The touch will have an OLED..........when/after the iphone gets one.

6. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...720p is a not a huge consumer preference for me when buying such a small device. Battery life is something I highly value in portable devices ;)

7. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...that is exactly my dilemma!!!

I am thinking the same thing... They might have the man power and technology, but the iPhone would get this first...sadly!

8. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

How much do you think the new battery life of the ipod touch 3G will be?

9. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Hopefully, long enough to watch a couple vids :rolleyes:

Who can give us a good reason why an OLED screen WILL be in the next iPod Touch?

10. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Technology progresses and Apple has competition.

11. liamwillib macrumors member

Didn't the 2nd gen touch have a more powerful processor/graphics than the 2nd gen iphone (3G) when the touch came out a few months after. The iphone 3Gs has obviously leapfrogged it now but the touch has occasionally had features before the iphone. Built in Nike + also comes to mind, obviously before the 3Gs came out.

I think that if they have the technology right by decision time (maybe months before production) i see no reason why they wouldn't include OLED just because the iphone hasn't got it yet. They might also use the new touch as a guinea pig but I doubt it.

On a side note, not using OLED might have something to do with pixels/screen size and compatibility with apps??? Just an educated guess.

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Go to Apple's site, http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html
    at the bottom of the page it says

"Testing conducted by Apple in August 2008 using preproduction hardware and software. The playlist contained 358 unique audio tracks consisting of content imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC) and content purchased from the iTunes Store (128-Kbps AAC); video content was purchased from the iTunes Store. iPod units were associated to a Wi-Fi network and Auto-Brightness was turned off; all other settings were default. Battery tests are conducted with specific iPod units; actual results may vary. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced (see www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery). Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information."

So they test the GM hardware of the device a month before it ships. I bet if we searched 1 Infinite Loop We would find some iPod touches 3rd generations.

So they are most likely announcing a new touch next month.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*snort hiding laugher* Competition. Right. :D

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yeah, I cant wait to get ahold of that OLED screen so I can never see it in direct sunlight. :rolleyes:

15. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

apple does have competition...;)

look at RIM, the iphone was introduced, and then they released the Blackberry Storm (although it was a complete failure) apple raises the bar, and some other companies try to beat apple.:D

with the release of the Zune HD, the ipod touch 3G will have some competition, but i hardly reckon...:D

16. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I know there is some sarcasm there, but you have a point in one way or another ;)

Still searching for some good reasons we will see it in September???

17. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I usually do. Usually.
    Thats the biggest flaw that stands out to me when it comes to OLED.

18. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Direct sunlight does wonders on most of my screens anyways. No doubt OLED will be even worse... But, the biggest plus of an OLED can easily result in a much better battery life. ...and that is a huuuuge plus ;)

Take your pick... What is more important? ...better battery life or viewing when in direct sunlight?

19. dark-saito macrumors regular

Good argument, I had thought of this myself, and it is a valid point.

I think what people tend to forget is that the iPod Touch doing better than the iPhone is not necessarily a bad thing for Apple. Granted, Apple would like to gain a greater control of the Smart Phone market, but really now? Anyone that argues against that being the inevitable is kidding themselves.

Remember, too, Apple wants to keep their quite obvious control of the PMP market, and even if the competitors seem a minor threat, they don't under estimate because they don't want to lose control of that.

Thus, the argument "3G S does not have OLED, so the iPod Touch won't" becomes horribly invalid. Of course, this is NOT saying that the iPod Touch 3rd Gen WILL have OLED, but it becomes a possibility, maybe even a probability, rather than wishful speculation.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since we're less than a month from launch, has Apple been purchasing any OLED screens? No? Hmm...

21. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Well, not really direct competition, but i'm sure its something Apple's been looking at.

22. cenetti macrumors 6502

I think touch will get

- speed bump
    - 64gb
    - ****** iphone camera
    - maybe ****** gps too

no oled, no design update, no UI update.... nada.... ;)

23. dark-saito macrumors regular

I forget the part where Apple is required to let people know what they purchase for their products.

I understand that usually if they buy things in bulk, information is usually leaked because of that. But maybe we just haven't found reports of them? And unless you work for Apple, and know for a certainty that they have not bought them, you can't refute that possibility.

24. Lancing macrumors member

The 64 GB and GPS would probably sell me. I don't care about the camera.

25. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You know, I actually would embrace OLED if the battery life were significantly increased. But one or to hours more, and no, I wouldnt be super excited.