OLED - The end of the backlit logo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarcBook, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I was just thinking that due to the nature of OLED screens (and how they emit light individually from each pixel) and the fact that the current Mac laptops have their Apple logos lit up by the LCD's backlight, will the eventual onset of OLED screens spell the end of the iconic backlit Apple logo on the backs of our screens?

It would obviously be a waste of power to have a few dedicated LEDs for lighting up the logo when (or perhaps 'if') OLED screens become the norm.

I know that a lot of manufacturers, Sharp being one of the main ones, are adamant that LCD technology will reign supreme for years to come. This could well be the case, judging from some of the upcoming prototypes I've read about (crazy contrast ratios, near perfect blacks and lightning refresh rates).

It would be a shame if the distinctive backlit logo, which competitors such as HP and Acer are now (finally) trying to copy, were to disappear in a few years.

Just a thought.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

LEDs consume so little power that there's virtually no penalty for including a few extra to devote towards the logo if they want to.

3. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

That's definitely true, actually. Especially with modern batteries being so good. I suppose it depends on how much Apple values the backlit logo as a design trademark.

I wonder if they'd make it increase and decrease in brightness with the screen to mimic the current behaviour... :)

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yep - it would be quite an easy fix - definitely would take the clever factor out of the equation however.

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I feel that way sometimes but I still like it lit other times, so if they did include LEDs to light it and you could change the brightness on the logo that would be cool by me.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Little off topic, Sharp makes crap TV's. working in HT for 10 years i've never seen a quality Sharp TV. its such a shame that Pioneer is joining up with them.

with out a doubt OLED is the way of the future. the power it saves alone has guaranteed its future. not to mention their ability to turn on and off instantly unlike plasma and LCD that need to hold a charge, which by the way, is why black levels are such a concern for them.

as for the apple i think its cool but i never see it on cause of course its always facing the other direction. so if it were to no longer light up i think i wouldnt really care.

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

LED's do not light the apple logo, the backlight does , therefore it requires no extra power.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm much more worried about OLED's reliability over a lifespan of 3-4 years ... :(

10. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Way to totally and utterly miss the whole point of the thread. Whoosh!

11. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

As was everyone when LCD and plasma were first introduced. (Or maybe it was just plasma). Anyways, give it time. They'll have them lasting forever in no time.

12. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Skim over the original post! What about when oled screens are utilised?

13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i did read the post,

oled generates its own light, so whats the problem?

you cannot put 2 and 2 together?

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless I'm missing something obvious, the issue is that OLED displays do not have backlights, because the OLED elements generate the light themselves (and it isn't white light in any event). So if there's no backlight, and, as you say, the backlight lights the logo, the backlight cannot light the Apple logo if there is no backlight. So something else would have to be done.

15. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

You're not missing anything. He is.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Discretion, my friend, discretion. :D

17. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Apple's entire design scheme is the sleekness of its design. They would definitely add a LED array to light it and it would definitely be controlled by the light sensor.

When you go to Books-a-Million or Barnes and Noble, what do you notice? You see the bright light on the Apple logo and you immediately are attracted to the notebook. That's what Apple is going for and that is what they will keep doing.

18. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I would love it if the OLEDs that will later light up the Apple icon could change color, so there would be a Preferences Pane that lets you change the color from white to blue, etc. And by the way, the copies that Acer and other companies try to do are terrible. Only the Apple ones have the even light distribution.

19. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

LEDs only shine in one direction. So LED LCD backlights only shine towards the panel, not in all directions like CCFL backlights. I'm fairly certain the Apple logo has dedicated LEDs for it's function already.

20. johnsy macrumors 6502

21. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

you are a complete failure. pack it up and move on.

22. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

LEDs illuminate the panel the same way CCFLs did. They're placed along the edge, the same as the CCFL. There is a lens layer in the display which disperses the light evenly - both to the front and rear.

Back OT, I think Apple will continue to illuminate the logo. I can't see them losing the iconic look of their portables.

23. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think TMOS is the more likely successor not OLED and the former to have a backlight and the whole issue is a none issue again.
    I personally wouldn't mind if the whole logo would disappear. I prefer it when companies sell stickers and you can decide on your own if you want to parade it around or just a plain design. I would choose the latter.
    Ipad and iPhone .. all have nothing more than a printer logo. There is no reason why they couldn't just make some shiny mirror like metal logo instead of the white lighted version (if OLED screens will ever be build in big sizes before some other tech).

24. dslrjunky macrumors regular

i would like to have it more functionality like notification light on modern smartphones eg. email, missed calls, battery indicator too.. I could see it in a mbp (email, battery indicator when charging when lid is closed, strobe lights? lol!! :D of course it should all be optional and switch activated..)