Oleophobic Screen is Fantastic!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I thought the oleophobic screen was more of a gimmick when I first heard about it but WOW what a difference it makes! There used to be fingerprints ALL over my 3G but my 3GS screen is pretty much always crystal clear. Even if there is a little smudge, one wipe and it's clean. What an underrated feature!

2. D3lta macrumors 6502a

3. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Agree - just noticed today that the screen is clear and been what....4 days. My 3G was cleanings daily or every other day. I love the new screen!

4. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

If you put a flashlight or something on the screen, do you notice smudges and fingerprints? Or does everything still look crystal clear. In normal lighting, it is a bit hard for me to see, but when I shine light to the screen I can see smudges and fingerprints.

I guess I am trying to understand if the screen is supposed to mask fingerprints and smudges in normal light conditions, or if they are not supposed to be there at all.

5. freeman24 Guest

for me, when you look head on at the phone you cant see any smudges. But when i put it down you can see the smudges. So its perfect for me! its a very good screen!

6. actorkid macrumors 6502

from playing around with it...I'm going to guess it does a little bit of both?

I've run my finger across the screen of my original iPhone and my 3G S...simply stated, the fingerprints just aren't anywhere near as visible on the 3G S as they are on the original. Sure you can find the smudges if you look real hard, but in no way do fingerprints bother me anymore. I would say it took a full two days of use before there was enough visible fingerprinting for it to get on my nerves in the slightest...but to my pleasure, the dillemma was completely solved by a quick wipe on my pant leg...the screen looked PERFECT again...clean up is a breeze

7. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I think it works great for less fingerprints, but it cannot stand up to my oily face. once I make a call and put it against my face, it's as oily and smudgy as always. But it is much easier to clean and wipe off.

8. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

9. jod1921 macrumors member

That sucker is one slippery screen. No finger drag for sure. Excellent

10. I3eXa macrumors 6502

you shouldn't have your face or hands on the screen...no need to so no need to make it for the MBP

11. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

The two at work that got the 3Gs, when they brought them in they already had some kind of plastic protection film over the screens, so I couldn't try out the new surface. Too bad Apple goes through all that trouble for some to put a cheap looking film over it, film that can create rainbow discoloring in areas like over the black.

12. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Anyone who touches my screen gets slapped... I advise you do the same.

13. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Is this screen scratch resistant? Just curious if I would need to put a film on it since I am afraid of it scratching in my pocket.

14. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I love it too! Definitely makes a huge difference. Yes in bright light you can see some smears but the nice thing is that all you have to do it wipe it with your sleeve and they're gone. You don't need to get out the iKlear or anything else.

15. actorkid macrumors 6502

iPhone screens are surprisingly scratch resistant...the only things you have to worry about is another form of glass (SAND), or something harder than glass.

I can't stress enough how detrimental sand can be for the glass on the screen. So if you live near the beach, keep your phone away from it. A little sand in your pocket with your iPhone and your screen will be hurting hardcore

16. Nickday89 macrumors regular

I love the screen, hasn't smudged once since I got the phone. But this afternoon I had to cave and buy an Invisible Shield Screen Protector, because in a couple of days I'm gonna be going on a small vacation at my family's lake house. And while the screen is, for the most part scratch-resistant, but little tiny rocks found on a lake-side that can get into pockets... well they're the exception, and will scratch it like a mo'fo

17. kolax macrumors G3

Speck of dust on the screen, I'll lightly swipe my finger to get rid of it if my cleaning cloth isn't near by.

After a day of working in the library and swiping dust, there is finger prints on the screen that are noticeable in certain light.

Not a big deal, but any screen would benefit.

18. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Thanks. I never had an original or 3G to compare it against. I just know that I can see fingerprints and smudges if I look hard enough. It must have just been a lot worse with the older phones. :)

19. joro macrumors 68020

joro

It has been great and it’s been a noticeable improvement from the iPhone 3G. I kept my 3G naked and I’ve been able to keep this one super clean just by wiping the screen with my shirt or pants.

20. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

no film on this one

Thought it would be a small gimmicky thing. It isn't. And I absolutely love the feel of this glass too.

Boy it's sexy. No, I am not kidding. :p

21. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    But other people I'm around always touch my screen... its really annoying :mad:

22. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    You also have to worry about diamonds.

23. I3eXa macrumors 6502

like bbplayer5 said...slap em! but yeah I hear ya. I just take a damp microfiber cloth to it every once in a while.

24. actorkid macrumors 6502

yes....diamonds fall under the "harder than glass" category i believe ;)

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Seriously? I shouldn't put my iPhone in the same pocket with all my diamonds?