Oleophobic screen scratches too easily!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by likemyorbs, Jul 5, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Has anybody else been experiencing scratching with these new screens that they never experienced with their previous iPhones? My manager and I both got scratches and we use them exactly the same way we used our first gen. iPhones. I blame it on the coating. You used to be able to take a nail to these things but apparenty not anymore. Hopefully enough people have this problem so apple could do some sort of replacemet program

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Good luck getting a replacement for a scratch on the screen...

3. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

I haven't had any problems and I've had all 3 iPhones with no screen protector.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

I have no screen protector and I carry it my pocket all day long. I've even had it in there with my keys a few times on accident and I don't have a single scratch yet.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Get a screen protector.

I'm about to order a BestSkinEver right now. I had it on my 3G and it was amazing. VERY easy to put on...and its CHEAP...only around 5.99.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The screen protectors came with my case, but I've never had to use them on my first iPhone, apparently I do now though

7. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Screen definitely seems like it will scratch easier. I just went ahead and got a protector before I regret not doing so.

8. skeeters macrumors newbie

skeeters

I guess I'm anal retentive but after spending the $ on a 32 Gig iPhone I didn't want the scratches and purchased a enclosed case, now it can take the abuse. ;) As for the case its great but gathers lint like a magnet, so I gotta constantly take it out for a cleaning easy nuff.

[​IMG]

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on the threads I've seen here and the fact that olephobic screen is just a coating, leads me to believe that it will scratch much easier then the 3G would. Please note that the glass isn't scratching but the coating is.

I've ordered a case that includes a flap that will go over the screen to protect the screen while its in my pocket and I recommend that or a screen protector.

10. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Man, people are crazy about these phones.:eek:

11. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yes, the coating will scratch easier than the simple glass displays from previous gens. Yes, a film will protect the display from the most common scratch scenario. No, it doesn't take diamonds, sand, or Superman to scratch the display. Keys, etc can do this, no problem.

A good quality film costs about $7 and (again, the best ones) cannot be detected once they are on. For me it's a no brainer.

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

13. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Me either. I just keep it all alone in my front pocket screen side in.

14. 55test55 macrumors 6502

where are you getting it for $7?

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Coatings scratch easily, glass not so much. Sounds like common sense.

16. Odid macrumors regular

I don't know what you all are talking about but my 3GS hasn't been scratched at all... and I've dropped it a few times. Doesn't seem like the coating has anything to do with it.

17. antibact1 macrumors 6502

If you get a screen protector, what is the point of having an oleophobic screen?

18. army91c macrumors 6502a

Bingo!

I brought it to the nice mans attention how ironic it was to yell from the mountain tops about the "new" amazing iPhone 3gs screen and have boxes of screen protectors sitting right next to them in the Apple store.....

iPhone 3gs with it's oleophobic screen...... oh wait there are fingerprints all over it because it has a screen protector on it..... :rolleyes:

19. John T macrumors 68020

John T

What evidence do you have to make such a dogmatic statement?

20. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

21. trssho macrumors 6502

I would call BS on that on.

Probably a worn through screen protector. This would be very prevelant at this point if the glass wore through like that.

22. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I use an anti glare film so i don't really need the oleophobic film since the anti glare is better with fingerprints. So it protects against scratches and oil, i'm happy with it. plus i love the feel.

23. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Reluctant...

to give up the new screen but the fingerprint advantage was overstated in comparison to the real solution:

Steinheil anti-fingerprint.

I'm happy now. And didn't want to join the club of reports of scratches on my 32GB. No way. :cool:

24. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

OK, technically $7.50. It's $15 for a pack of 2 for the Power Support films.

25. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Many are already posting their scratch stories. Have you not seen them?

Any time you have a coating, you'll be able to see the difference in contrast between the area scratched and the surrounding areas that still have the coating.