Olloclip and Incase Launch Limited Edition iPhone 7 'Filmer's Kit' Exclusively at Apple Stores

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Smartphone accessory companies Olloclip and Incase today announced a new collaborative product called the "Filmer's Kit" for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The $199 kit includes "curated essentials" for users who regularly find themselves filming, taking photos, or live streaming on an iPhone 7.

[​IMG]

Specifically, the Filmer's Kit includes an Olloclip Core Lens Set with Fisheye, Super-wide, and Macro 15x lenses, an Olloclip Active Lens Set with Telephoto and Ultra-Wide lenses, an Olloclip Pivot articulating mobile video grip, and a carrying case that was a joint effort between Olloclip and Incase.
    The companies are releasing the $199 Filmer's Kit in a super-exclusive supply run of less than 2,000 copies worldwide. The kit won't be made available to purchase on Apple.com, or on Olloclip's and Incase's websites, so those interested will have to visit an Apple retail location to pick up a copy before they sell out.

Olloclip did refer to the Filmer's Kit as the "inaugural" edition, suggesting there could be more of the product, perhaps in a wider release, coming in the future.

Update Aug 17: The Filmer's Kit is now available at Apple.com.

Article Link: Olloclip and Incase Launch Limited Edition iPhone 7 'Filmer's Kit' Exclusively at Apple Stores

2. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Wouldn't whomever is this serious about filming get the new iPhone as soon as it's out anyway? Seems like a $200 expense late in the game and an "exclusive limited run" actually a result of not having wide appeal and impractical timing.

3. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Seems so cumbersome. Just buy an high end camera without the umbilical to the phone.

4. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

'Curated Essentials'.. About as pretentious as the item itself. Next!

5. Delgibbons macrumors regular

Delgibbons

Took the words right out of my mouth

6. ChromeAce macrumors regular

The iPhone now takes film? The proper term is "record."

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The persistence of the word "film" where no actual film is involved always struck me as odd. We also have the handy word "video" to describe the current media. The term "tape" also persists for no apparent reason, which is weird, since hardly anyone under the age of 40 has even touched a reel of tape.

8. BruceButtcheeks macrumors member

BruceButtcheeks

Can't wait to grab my "copy" when it releases! I assume this releases when all records release on Friday.

9. Mr.Outside macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

10. entropi macrumors 6502

...and it only works on one iPhone? Wow, so green, so just....yuck.

11. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

No, it is not the same. I have one of these ebay/amazon kits and they are cheap quality compared to more expensive options that I also have. I am not saying that I would pay $200, but you need to compare products of equal quality.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I would have a problem in a scenario where camera makers changed the body mounts every year or few and requiring the purchase of new lenses each time. That's essentially what we have in this situation.

13. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

So they're using the "Nintendo strategy"?

I'd be wary of any company that does this.

14. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

I shoot my films on Moment Lenses using a DJI OSMO Mobile or a tripod. Them Olioclips are cheap.

15. melancholy macrumors member

melancholy

I stopped buying accessories for iPhone when I realized these will only fit on a specific model. No point in buying especially during the “S” cycle.

16. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I was going to ask if it was curated. Most pretentious term ever.

17. picaman macrumors newbie

picaman

I like the iPro lens approach myself. Quality lenses, and you just have to buy a new case to fit them on if you upgrade your phone.

18. hortod1 macrumors regular

hortod1

Can't imagine anyone that's serious about videography taking this seriously.

19. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I'll bet the "team" that "curated" these "essentials" did it while enjoying "artisan" sandwiches in the lunchroom of their "iconic" office building. :D

20. Neepman macrumors regular

Those 5 words make me want to physically assault people.

21. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

To each is own. But personally, i think this defeats the whole reason to use the iphone as your camera. Its simplicity and portability. Keep it simple. If i wanted multiple lenses, id just get a large chip camera with a zoom or a dslr with some specialty lenses. But hey...go for it if it works for you.

22. davidec macrumors regular

Cmon guys. This is quite a bespoke product.

23. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

It would be really worthwhile if it would work with every iPhone. That way you'd get to upgrade your CMOS and stuff without having to buy new lenses. It's too bad, my Canon HV30 is a great camcorder but has fallen behind in terms of video quality and digital features.

24. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

Filmmakers are still called filmmakers despite the lack of, you know, film. That’s because “film” is referring to the final product – and a film is a word for a movie (which itself harkens back to non-moving images).

25. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

Yup, I work in the film industry not the video industry.

No one dials a rotary on a phone to make a phone call anymore, but you still call it dialing when you touch your iPhone screen...