Omfg My 2 Day Old Iphone Broke!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sako94, Jul 26, 2008.

1. sako94 macrumors regular

Ok today my friend came over and we tried to restore hes 1st gen iphone so we can update it to 2.0 after we did hes iphone went retarded and now will keep restarting by itself.

After a little bit all my podcasts downloaded so i plugged my iphone in and now my iphone has the same error!

WHAT SHOULD I DO? IF I TAKE IT TO APPLE TOMARROW WILL THEY GIVE ME A NEW ONE? HELP ME !

THIS IPHONE IS ONLY 2 DAYS OLD!:mad:

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

3. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Don't worry, it's an easy fix.

1. Open up iTunes
    Make sure you're iPhone is off before step 2

2. Connect the iPhone to your computer. Press the home and power button at the same time. Once the Apple logo appears let go of the power button, but keep holding down the home button

3. iTunes should notice it needs to be restored and will restore it for you. Everything on your phone will be gone and reset if you didn't save a backup of it.

If that doesn't work, the Apple Store most likely won't take it back if you damaged it yourself. Don't worry though, it's a quick fix.

5. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I think the OP meant that when he plugged his 2day old 3g iphone in, it is mirroring his friend's 1st gen iphone error message.

To the OP, have you tried a restore on yours to see if it fixes the issue?

6. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

i think thats what happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and when i tried to restore it guys its saying an error message and it wont work .... so you think apple will give me a new one? and is it safe to plug in my sisters iphone or my brothers itouch now or should i restart the comp just in case

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

What's the error message? And what do you mean by won't work (it doesn't get past the home screen?)? They'll probably give you a new iPhone, but that's not definite.

8. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

it wont even go to home screen! its stays on apple logo then says plug iphone and open itunes that picture then it restarts every 2 minutes!
    omfg shoot me

9. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Did you try doing what I posted? That might help. BTW, you can hold down the home button and the power button for ten seconds to force it to turn off.

10. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

ok the most i got from restoring it was after the iphone turned off again or something and now its mirroring my iphone with my friends saying,""
    the iphone "iphone" could not be restored. A unknown error has occured(1604)""

my iphone was named "sako's iPhone"
    so im stuck ?

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think you bricked your iPhone (in other words, you broke it). I think the Apple Store is going to think that you were trying to jailbreak it, so it can go either way depending who helps you. Good luck.

12. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

**** **** **** **** OMFG WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think i wnna cry!

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Since you already tried everything you can do, the only thing left now is to explain to Apple what happened. Since it's so new, I'm sure that they'll replace it.

14. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If they think he's trying to jailbreak it they will consider it a voided warranty and be totally within their right to deny him a replacement.

15. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple Stores are usually a lot less strict during the first few days after you buy something. Go as soon as possible, though. The more time you wait, the less of a chance you'll have to get a replacement. If they don't replace it, be prepared to be $399/$499 for an 8GB/16GB replacement (if you still want one), since that's the unsubsidized pricing. Good luck.

16. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

but uhm... if i tell the story exactly the way i did will they give me another one?
    or is there something other story i should tell them to make sure that they will give me another one

because its going to be a waist of 300 dollars in 2 day & it was a graduation gift.... im really sad =/

17. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Just tell them what happened, they'll probably honor it, but they don't have to. If you sound like you're lying, they'll definitely think that you caused it by trying to jailbreak it, so tell them what happened. I'm sure everything will be fine in the end.

18. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

i hope so ill keep you guys updated and tell you what happens

19. ghettochild macrumors regular

People who use words like OMFG, LOLZ, etc. and all caps should get banned for life.

20. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

how could anyone on this board possibly know if Apple will replace it? just take it in and telll them what really happened and find out what they say. Asking people around hear what story to tell them to get it replaced is wrong; just tell them honestly what led to the problem that you are having. Besides the attempt at a fix mentioned above, there is nothing else that you can really do on your own.

Did u attempt to jailbreak the phone and it failed?

21. thecritix macrumors 6502

22. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I don't think the OP is responsible for any damage. What he did, i don't think should brick the phone. Since it did, Apple should have a fix for this. I will be very upset and disappointed with Apple if they don't help him fix it or give him a new one. Really. He did nothing wrong. Keep us up to date.

23. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

It was his graduation gift. It's 2 days old. Give him a break. He's upset. :mad:

24. philgilder macrumors 68000

from kindergarten?

yeah you can be upset, but calmly, clearly saying what happened rather than fing and blinding would have got him a solution far quicker. the first 8 posts are trying to figure out what exactly happened

the OP could also have used this
    or could have put it into DFU mode and then restored - i believe he has simply tried to restore, without entering DFU mode, which is what MICHAELSD suggested, but im not sure as by the way sako94 is expressing himself it is not entirely clear what he means

25. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

I'm glad the OP used such descriptive terms such as his phone went retarted to describe the situation.

Or saying "I got some error message"... You didnt even say if you did DFU mode on the iPhone.

No real descriptions on anything - so I think all answers are just guesses at this point.

DID you force your phone into the screen where it looks like the usb cable is displayed on the screen? (DFU mode)

This thread is giving me a headache.