Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Apple's way of telling you not to wet your electronic devices. Its a "feature" err.. a "magical feature" don't you get it?

Galacticus

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Really? Because 9V from an antenna would be the equivalent of 32 dBm...

Ahhh forget it, not worth the fight.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Lorenwade happens to be one of the most credible, reasonable posters on this forum.

I'm sure you'll attack me now. Bring it on.

Yeah, but to be honest he's wrong about this. If the antenna is giving a charge, that's an issue. This is NOT normal and acceptable.

I don't have the issue with mine, but enough people have proved it to be true. Something is going wrong here, some sort of manufacturing QC issue that needs to be addressed.

For those experiencing the issue, I say return it until you get one that works. Mine is fine so I know many of them must be.

From the "Things we understood in the 80's but forgot until now" department:

So a rubberized external cell phone antennae wasn't just a fashion statement?

Motorola_Brick_Cell_Phone_web.jpg

THANK YOU! I can't believe the posters who act like antennas were done away with because there was some sort of issue with them. The only issue was vanity and pocketability. People don't like cell phones with antennas. it's that simple.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Are we sure that it's REALLY water/sweat on their hands???

What exactly are they DOING with that phone? Maybe a little black light will tell us more. :D

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I'll leave this issue to the "testers" who are no doubt wetting and applying various body parts to different areas of their i4s.

Good luck with that. :D

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Your missing the point, this is just another symptom of the signal dropping issue. Sure, on a normal basis people shouldn't be grabbing their phones with wet hands, and on the rare occasion they do...well...that's not what I'm concerned about.

What I'm concerned about is that we have an issue with the antenna build/design and some sort of QC issue. So stop picking on how these guys are choosing to test the symptom and start paying attention to the real issue.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
Apple's way of telling you not to wet your electronic devices. Its a "feature" err.. a "magical feature" don't you get it?

It just gives you that extra boost to provide the 1.21 jigawatts necessary to power the flux capacitor, which is what makes time travel possible.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
OMG! WHEN I LICK MY FINGERS AND STICK THEM InTO AN OUTLET iT HURTS
You're actually comparing that to holding a cellphone in a wet hand...?

People are conditioned to cellphones being plastic and safe to hold when-effing-ever, and I guarantee you that right this minute there's about 3,000,000 people out there in the world picking up their cellphones on the beach after a swim, surfing the web in the bathtub, answering a call holding the phone against wet hair because they just came out of the shower... it's not on anyone's map that they would receive a shock from a damn cellphone. They know not to bring it with them while scuba diving, but apart from that, anything goes. And sometimes people need to make emergency calls in horrible situations where they have more critical things on their minds than looking for the nearest butler ready to hand them a dry towel.

But whatever, I'm looking forward to stories like "iPhone short circuited my grandmother's pacemaker" and "iPhone 4 proven to be world's most efficient lightning rod - user incinerated after attracting flash from thundercloud 6 miles away". ;)

The only issue was vanity and pocketability. People don't like cell phones with antennas. it's that simple.
Well, looks and pocketability are obviously part of it but there's also SAR ratings to consider. Manufacturers don't want to hear that their products are veritable microwave ovens that cook people's brains, and the FCC (and their equivalents worldwide) make a big deal about the antenna's proximity to the brain. That's why antennas these days are usually located at the bottom of the phone, behind the microphone. For a while there (before antennas became internal) it was popular to put a stubby antenna at the top and those obviously got poor SAR ratings because the tip of the antenna was just above the ear. Since an external antenna that sticks out at the bottom of the phone would be incredibly inconvenient and stupid looking, they did away with external antennas altogether once the whole SAR rating thing took off.

chiledog

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I actually have this issue without wet or clammy hands.
I have a ticket open with applecare and for now I have gone back to my 3GS.
Apple seem to be taking my issue seriously even if some people don't.

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
Electric shock? :eek:

This new iPhone sounds dangerous!

I don't like the sound of that at all.

Someone needs to contact a governmental agency who deals with such shoddy products before Apple electrocutes some innocent MR fanboy. This should be looked into. Losing your recption is one thing, but having an electrical current coarsing through your body is unacceptable. Please tell me this is not true. I would think Apple was more careful than that. Maybe THATS why they have us buy the bumper. It prevents electric shock by insulating your hand.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Lol, this was static electricity and not your damp hands. Rub your hands against something made of wool and then touch anything metal and you'll get shocked ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.