OMG! Lowered temps!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isauce, Jun 26, 2008.

1. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Hey guys,

I replaced the thermal paste of my MBP 2.4 Penryn, however not with the traditional Artic Silver 5. I replaced it with Artic Cooling MX-2; there is not metal substance in the paste which can cause corrosion. So, I opt for the MX-2. These are my temps idle. On load, CPU does not go above 60C degrees. I work on a glass desk, and the room is quite small so it can get warm.

I thought I give you guys my finding, and hope you might try MX-2 instead of the AS5.

Attached Files:

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

<sigh>

I thought they fixed that issue on the 3rd gens.

I really don't want to pop my MBP open after i've put the case and everything else on :p.

I'll be using AS5 though. Its in my blood :D

3. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

Of course, I guess I am coming from the PC world and recently switched to a mac, MX-2 is in my blood. But of course, anything is better than apple's thermal paste application.

4. duncanm macrumors member

My Penryn rarely sees temps over 55C. Generally runs around 38-43C.

No need for thermal paste here. Fans are currently at 2500RPM and the CPU is seeing 37C

5. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

Wow, that pretty good since you didn't replace your thermal paste. I on the other hand, the before temps were hovering around 50C idle. :)

6. nanvinnie macrumors regular

does replacing your thermal paste void warrantY?

7. jonlong macrumors newbie

I know that overuse of thermal paste has been a problem with past macbooks. Is this a still a problem with the most recent release?

Also, does anyone have before/after temps for a Penryn MBP with a change to the thermal paste.

I am comfortable w/ thermal paste application since I have done it on all my PC's, but I'm wondering if it's something I should do when I pick up my MBP.

8. bart rijksen macrumors regular

wow, my temps are at 60 degrees celsius, from just 5 tabs in safari and transmission:eek:
    I would love to reapply the thermal paste, if i had the correct screwdrivers.

9. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

Yeah, unfortunately it does. However, heat can cause the computer to have a shorter lifespan. That being said, I rather have my computer to be at its best, then to rely on applecare to fix any forthcoming issues. I never ever have issues with laptops, and this one with no exceptions. I take care of my precious machines. :D

I really do suggest ifixit guide, as I used it as a reference. My before temps were 50C idle and now like my image shows. 33C idle.

ifixit guide. google it.
    T6 Torx screw
    #00 screwdriver.

10. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Just a quick thing, when the power is plugged in my mbp runs at about 60, from what i said in my earlier post, but when it is on battery, the temp drops 10-20 degrees celsius:eek:
    I guess, apple figures that when you have the power plugged in, the laptop isn't on your lap.

11. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

You are right. I was actually at Futureshop yestuday (Canada electronics store) and all the MBP were under a cooling pad without the battery, running on the plug. I dl istat and it was running at 40C idle. I guess this is a warranty approve approach if you do not want to open your MBP.

12. Animalk macrumors 6502

I am very tempted to give this a shot with my MBP. I idle at 52 celsius if i do absolutely nothing and 58 celsius while while doing basic tasks like browsing the internet, reading mail and using Adium. If i fully load the processor with "yes dev/null" or folding, it can reach 80 celsius but usually hands around 77. While playing World of Warcraft, my processor sticks around 68 celsius and 72 celsius. All these temperatures are strictly at for my processor.

My graphics chip gets to 60 celsius under load.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Does it? As long as it doesn't look noobish, and you don't cause any damage. I've opened mine up and AppleCare took a look at it anyway. AFAIK there are no anti-tamper mechanisms built into the MBP.

14. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

If you have the battery removed and place it under a good notebook cooler. ie. Zalman NC2000 you should get great temps. The only limitation I can think of is tripping over the charger cord, and limited to your desk.

Also, there is not mechanisms for them to check whether or not it was open. Keep in mind, if you bring your machine for repair anything but the logic board I think you are okay. No point for a genius in an apple store to open that up if their is nothing wrong with it.

Keep in mind, you bare the risk of making your MBP a very expensive paperweight. However, with the ifixit guide, patience and careful dissection of your MBP, you shouldn't have any problems.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you remove the battery, laptop reduces the max processor speed to around half the real max speed.

16. Jestered macrumors 6502

If you remove the battery from a MBP and run it on the power adapter, your CPU speeds drop to 1GHz. That is why it is cooler, so removing the battery is not a good option.

17. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

Really? Huh, didn't actually notice that. Well I guess that explains why. :(

18. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

do you know why this works? If you remove the battery, the laptop will never reach its default speed, ever. Itll stay at like MAX 1.4ghz.

its all over the net.

19. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

I dl istat pro on a MBP on display at futureshop, and the battery was attach to the MBP and there was a notebook cooler. I suppose the store removed it, so no one can take it.

20. jonlong macrumors newbie

That doesn't really make sense. I can understand CPU throttling when there is no A/C power, to preserve battery life. But if you are connected to power, you should have full CPU power.

Is this maybe a way to make the MBP feel cooler in the store, when there is generally always A/C power and no battery?

Can that be adjusted in the power settings?

21. bart rijksen macrumors regular

no, somethimes the mbp uses more power than the power plug can supply, so it also takes from the battery. That is when you remove the battery, the cpu is downclocked

22. bart rijksen macrumors regular

that's weird. at my store they just leave them in.

23. isauce thread starter macrumors regular

isauce

I was at the Grandville Futureshop at Downtown Vancouver. It might differ store to store.

24. jonlong macrumors newbie

I think all the Apple stores I have been to leave the batteries in. The authorized resellers usually have them out, though. Probably because they can't watch over the product closely enough to deter theft of batteries.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If I want to lower my CPU temps I just boot into XP. :p Seriously, my Penryn MBP is running now at 104 F vs 122 F in OS X.