OMG, what's wrong with Macbook pro this year???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fengyue5bian, Dec 29, 2011.

1. fengyue5bian, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

fengyue5bian macrumors newbie

I didn't have enough time to finish my thread this afternoon. Updated here:

Anyway, the genius replace the MBP. (I went to the store on Dec 2nd) The thing which made me unhappy is the fact they denied selling MBP with obvious defects or used MBP. He said: "we can replace your MBP, but the next one will still with battery cycle count 9 or maybe less like 6,7..." Well, I insisted for replacement since it's in 14 days (actually in 7 days). I opened replaced one in front of him and this MBP with battery cycle count 1! he can't say a word! After several minutes' thinking, he said something like the battery may be tested more than others...

About the HDD clicking noise, it's pretty sure that there is something wrong with the HDD. As long as the machine is powered on, the clicking noise will keep periodically. (MBP is on a solid table) The genius just said the noise is normal. Which I know it's not normal and the replaced MBP does NOT have the noise any more.

About the hole on the black plastic, the genius explained as following: because manufacturing machine maybe produce defective products, so "you should be appreciate if it's a perfect machine" as he said.

I'm travelling manchester during this christmas. I asked the genius in Manchester's Apple Store about how the returned MBP will be dealt with? The nice guy told me these returned MBP will be sent back to manufacture, they usually will be torn apart and the functional parts will be re-used or the whole MBP will be sold as refurbished.

That's all. I love apple. I'm a PhD student in Computer Science. I saved my scholarship for this MBP. No one expected to buy a used MBP with defects after one year's saving right?

About my opinion of Job's death, maybe I'm wrong. But Steve definitely will be angry if he knows about this since he is such a persistent and perfect man!

AGAIN, what makes me unhappy is the fact some genius are NOT telling the truth or denying the truth to customers! If I'm not a computer science student or don't know anything about computer hardware, I will be convinced by some irrational reasons.

=================================

Hi, I bought my 1st macbook pro 17 on 25 Nov this year. Firstly, I heard some clicking noise from the HDD every 10 sec. Which is pretty strange, because I'm a computer science student knowing a little about HDD and this kind of noise usually appears after a very long time usage. (depends on how heavy you use the hdd)

Then I check the system info. I found that the battery cycle count is 9!!! Which usually should be 0 or 1!! A new macbook pro just out of box with battery cycle count 9! can you believe that? Also there is a 3mm wide hole on the black plastic between screen glass and unibody. (near the camera)

So I'm pretty sure that my 1st macbook is a used one! Then I to apple store asking for replacement. The genius explained to me that because of the lots of tests on battery, the cycle count is 9. Because manufacturing machine maybe produce defective products, so "you should be appreciate if it's a perfect machine" as he said.

OMG, should I suppose most macbook pro should have defects? I feel that apple's products are no longer as perfect as they used to be after Job's death. Sigh...

BTW, I bought my macbook pro 17 in a UK Apple Retail store. (somewhere near Sheffield)

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

A new Macbook pro shouldn't have a cycle count of 9 out of the box. However, if you are saying it's 9 now after a month and a bit, then that's about right - I got my 13" MBP in October, regularly use on battery power and it has a cycle count of 17.

If you aren't happy, I'd take it back again and ask for a replacement (be firm but not stroppy) - the gap definitely doesn't sound right: You pay a premium for Apple products and you have a right to expect it to have no defects from new!

Incidentally, I don't think it's got anything at all to do with Steve Jobs' death: These things are mass produced in China and there have always been odd instances of bad machines, but Apple normally sort them out without any fuss at all

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I wouldn't worry about a cycle count of 9, this is normal. The clicking might be the motion sensor parking the heads, are you using it on a stationary desk or is it sitting on your lap?

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, you're right. I am sure that the next day after Steve Jobs' death a memo went out: stop making good products.

Of course, we all know that Steve inspected every machine personally like Santa Claus in his workshop.

Or let's go back to the real world. Any mass produced product can have issues. You have a problem with your computer - the majority of buyers do not have these problems. Why did you not return it within the 14 day period? I am going to assume that when you went to the store you used the same whiny voice that comes across in your post? I would suggest a bit of an attitude readjustment instead of acting like a brat and throwing your toys out the cot the next time you have to deal with adults that are not your parents.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The comments about, "everything has changed now that Steve Jobs is gone" are pure BS. It's not like before Steve would have personally built your computer. It's off an assembly line and there's always a chance of having manufacturing defects. Don't blame it on Steve's death.

How long did you wait before you went to the Apple Store to talk to them? You had a 14 day period to return it, no questions asked. If you waited longer than that, anything else falls under the warranty. What did the Genius tell you about the clicking HDD or the "hole"? You talked to them about the battery cycles but not about the other stuff? You're not really providing complete information, so it's difficult to respond to you.

6. lippyt macrumors member

Be firm and request a replacement and call the Apple hotline instead of going down. Usually you don't need to even be firm or frustrated to get a DOA exchange within 14 days.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would hang myself if I had such problems.^^

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The OP said it was purchased on Nov. 25th. They're far outside the 14 day return policy, so it's going to fall under the warranty, not as a simple return.

9. Ant.honey macrumors regular

I can't wait until there is an IQ and common sense test made mandatory prior to the purchase of an Apple product.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Even were that possible, not enough time has passed for that to change...

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

OP: Is anything actually wrong with your MacBook Pro? Sounds to me like it's fine, and if you bought it in November then it's a bit late to get picky about cosmetic things.

Enjoy it for the incredible machine that it is.

12. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

what up with these kids nagging about small issues and ridiculous excuses?

there is nthing wrong withur macbook
    enjoy the machine ur parents hard earned cash has bought u

if u are still concerned, take it to the store

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where do people get this stuff? :rolleyes:

14. fengyue5bian thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't have enough time to finish my thread. Plz read updated one and reply. Thanks.

----------

Sorry I didn't have enough time to finish my thread. Plz read the updated one, many thanks for our reply.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I read your updated post. They replaced the computer for you, so everything is fine. It still has nothing to do with Steve. There were Macs with manufacturing defects then, too. You got a bad one. It sucks, but unfortunately it happens. I still don't understand whether you checked the battery cycles immediately after you purchased it, or if you used it for a little while first. But they replaced your computer, you're happy now, so it's all good.

16. fengyue5bian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Plz read more carefully... :p

Anyway, the genius replace the MBP. (I went to the store on Dec 2nd) The thing which made me unhappy is the fact they denied selling MBP with obvious defects or used MBP. He said: "we can replace your MBP, but the next one will still with battery cycle count 9 or maybe less like 6,7..." Well, I insisted for replacement since it's in 14 days (actually in 7 days). I opened replaced one in front of him and this MBP with battery cycle count 1! he can't say a word! After several minutes' thinking, he said something like the battery may be tested more than others...

About my opinion of Job's death, maybe I'm wrong. But Steve definitely will be angry if he knows about this since he is such a persistent and perfect man!

AGAIN, what makes me unhappy is the fact some genius are NOT telling the truth or denying the truth to customers! If I'm not a computer science student or don't know anything about computer hardware, I will be convinced by some irrational reasons.

17. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Actually I think Steve was punishing you, and only you, from the grave, you have no irrational thoughts. :rolleyes:

18. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

19. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

20. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

You think a hard drive is old because it makes noise when in use? They make noise all the time regardless of age or previous use... It's a mechanical drive.

21. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I've seen worse than this that got resolved with no personal intervention by Steve...

First off, in a company as large as Apple there are bound to be some employees who don't do a good job. Secondly, that Genius may be telling you the truth as he/she understands it. That person may be doing their best to do a good job with faulty information. Who knows? It could be malicious too, but out of the three possible options, the first two are the most likely.

There's a specific kind of noise that HDDs make when they get old and about to die, known as the click of death. A sound similar to it is probably what got OP worrying.

Also, OP said that old HDDs make that noise, but you (illogically) reversed it to come up with the OP thinks the HDD is old because it's making that noise, which isn't what OP said at all.

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Good for you :) Your problem was the usual poor standard of customer support that is generally offered in the UK. Like all that is mass produced there will be a percentage that is substandard, good customer service recognizes such issues, remedies and does not foist inferior products by making excuses...

Comments regarding Steve Jobs in this syntax are pretty much unnecessary...

23. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

He said it will click periodically... I hardly believe this is the "click of death". He also mentioned he got a replacement so I fail to see how this is an issue.

You are defending a guy who thinks his macbook pro had issues because Steve Jobs died...

24. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

There's a difference between defending someone (which I'm not) and pointing out glaring logical faults (which I am).

25. Minhthien macrumors 6502

There's alway a bad apple in a apple's tree! No one is perfect! They are human, not robot!