OMG: Wine spilled onto MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Dec 20, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Well **** happens and it just happened to me. My dog knocked over a full glass of wine onto my fairly new MBP and it went all inside the keyboard. Immediately I shut it off but I can't tell if a short circuit happened at the same time because I then pressed the power button to test and it didn't came on. Was probably a mistake. I then took the battery out and cleaned as much as possible. I even tried to disassemble it but one tiny screw hindered me because it was screwed in too tightly and I didn't have the proper philips-screwdiver.

Well I'm letting it dry now for at least 48hours an see if by magic it will get on.

Just so mad at myself I let the glass sit near the laptop. The last I need is to deal with computer problems before Xmas. Ugh

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Testing a wet computer by turning it on generally is about as smart as lighting a match to see if there is gas in the tank.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Also the bad part is that wine is full of sugar rather it's dry or sweet and it will crystalize when it dries. Good luck to the OP.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Does it help if I try to clean it up tomorrow or monday to get the proper scrediver to take apart?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Interestingly enough ... so do I!

OP: It is not going to fair well with the sugar in the wine. :( Sorry.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, I would recommend it but use only a damp cloth to wipe the hardware and motherboard inside. Just make sure the battery is removed. After cleaning it make sure it's completely dry before powering it on. One short circuit will fry your logic board. I'm not sure where it is but Apple places a seal-type indicator inside the MBP to indicate water damage. If you find it and it's not "red" in color then take it to the Apple genius to get repaired if your logic board fails.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The faster you get it cleaned up, the better chances you have of turning this around.
    Do NOT under any circumstances try to boot the computer. Unplug the power adapter and remove the battery so that you can reduce the risk of a short occurring.
    Clean with Qtips/lint free cloth and DISTILLED water and a little bit of 90% alcohol to help with drying.

9. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Great. Just when I googled wine spills on laptops and read some worked again after dryng you tell me it won't because of the sugar :(

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I have faith that it will work again!

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

it will not work again if you did power it on when it was all wet inside.

12. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

Alcohol is a bad thing.

sorry about you macbook pro

13. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

i bet if you shut it off in time and dry it out thoroughly before turning it back on you'll be good to go. was it red, white or rosé?

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm about to have a bit of white wine myself. If the original poster purchased AppleCare I *highly* suggest giving them a call at 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273). If it's any consolation, I dropped my Macbook Pro not too long ago and was able to get a refund (unused portion) on my Applecare purchase.

Big mistake.

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's just past midnight here and the Cowboys blew their last home game at Texas Stadium. I think I'm going to drink well into the morning. ;)

... I lost a bet, too.

17. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Interesting, I'm pretty sure there have been more than just this one case where people have spilled wine on their MBPs.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Your MBP is drunk from all that wine, let it rest from its hangover and hopefully it'll be okay. :D

19. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it will probably work when its dried out.

if you haven't wiped the internals, its only a matter of time before corrosion sets in and you'll start seeing random issues popping up.

its too bad your warranty is voided--thanks to those spill detectors/indicators/sensors (whatever you want to call them..basically stickers) hidden on the underside of your keyboard.

unless of course you have the classic non-uni mbp.

20. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Dammit I know I can't blame the dog and it's my fault for not being more cautious with liquids but I wish these laptops had some internal seperation or cover underneath the keyboard so it doesn't all flow into the circuits.

I hope some hardware store is open today so I can get proper tools to try and clean it's guts from the alcohol poisoning.

It was red wine btw (Rioja) and my MBP is the early 2008 (non unibody)

21. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

dang sorry about that man, hope everything works out.

22. Kleivonen macrumors member

If it makes you feel any better, my Mom's old Macbook had broken RAM slots, so it wouldn't boot up, and they needed to replace the logic board. When they opened her up, they found liquid damage, and still replaced the logic board under warranty. Hopefully you can get any issues fixed.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Rename it Edgar and try not to date the hot neighbor it loves.

24. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Someone needs to give Apple a nobel-prize.

Yes you're hearing right i'm writing from the MBP.

These mofos are resistant it seems.

I went to get proper screwdivers but still couldn't unscrew the last tiny little bitch because it was too tight. So i said **** it, i put all the screws back in, memory and battery too and started up and it works!

Let's see for how long. I hope the corrosion thing isn't gonna happen though.