Omnia HD!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by litteraround, Feb 28, 2009.

1. litteraround macrumors newbie

hi guys,

well, i am new here. so, plz go easy on me;)

Now, i am sure that by now u are all aware of the upcoming Samsung monster called the Omnia HD. Among other things, it has an extra bright and crisp OLED display (frankly much better that the iphone from the videos I have seen), an 8.0 Megapixel camera and multitasking.

I was wondering if anyone here considered it (sorry for using the term) 'the iphone killer'.
    If given a choice between the iphone 3g and Omnia HD, which would you rather buy. stating specific reasons for your choice would be nice.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I'd take the Omnia..... won't crack when I drop it.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

at least you admit it :p
    I would wait till WWDC when they will likely update them.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You could tell people that the Omnia doubles as an ATM machine, spitting out hundred dollar bills intermittently, and people around here would still argue the iPhone is better. The Omnia sounds great, but it still runs Windows Mobile doesn't it? In that case, that's like mounting a Ford Focus engine on the chassis of a Ferrari.

5. litteraround thread starter macrumors newbie

kas23 - I believe that people are generally rational, would take the side of what actually is better. So, if people here truly think that their iphone is better, than sure I respect that opinion. heck, that's is what this thread is for.
    And no, this new version of Omnia actually has Symbian Touchscreen OS on it, i think its the same as what will be on the N97.

Four20 - here is your link: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8910_omnia_hd-review-317.php

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Ouch!

The feature set alone is making me drool over it. That is a geek phone to the max. I know syncing with my Mac would be a no go but 1) No Windows Mobile and 2)no skimping on features (camera is wicked sweet) would have me taking a serious look at this phone.

7. syclick macrumors regular

I'm hoping that the next gen iPhone has an AMOLED screen, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I'd rather have a transflective LCD, so it's beautiful both indoors and out in the sunshine.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It runs Symbian S60. ;)

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The Omnia HD has great features. But it doesn't run OS X and it's probably not easy to sync it with my mac. And those are the killer features for me. So for me the iPhone is better.

That being said I do hope when apple updates the iPhone they do some much needed hardware and software improvements.

11. Ekelon macrumors newbie

If you're going to utilize the Camera a heck of a lot, then I would get the Omnia. Otherwise, the iPhone is more versatile IMO because of OX X and it's apps.

12. Leeny182 macrumors newbie

Ive been looking at it...

Ive been looking at getting the Samsung Omnia when my new every two is up. I would LOVE to get an iPhone because of how easy it would be to sync it with my MacBook but I absolutely hate At&t. I had At&t twice and both experiences were not worth my money. I love Verizon and have been with them 4 years since switching from At&t. I am looking at the Samsung but hate that it is Windows. There is a fairly inexpensive program available though to be able to sync your Mac with it called MissingSync. I've read a few good reviews for it and would consider purchasing it if I do decide on the Samsung Omnia. I dont want to kill the iPhone because I think its a great device but I just wish it wasnt with At&t... (stupid Verizon for not taking up the offer!!!). But its getting easier for us Mac users to go with alternative devices on much better networks. :D

13. bigchief macrumors 6502a

The Samsung Omnia HD operates on a GSM system according to the articles I've read and that's not Verizon.

14. Leeny182 macrumors newbie

15. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

16. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I want to just CRUSH these threads. Those phones offer nothing but good specs. I like how fast and agile you can navigate on the iPhone while on the Omnia and Nokia N97, you can clearly see the lag and the slowness of the multi-touch on those devices. I don't care about the 8MP camera since a camera should be a camera and a phone should be a phone unless you want a quick snap of something interesting. I don't care about the feature where teenagers can text each other about their drinking stories. I don't give a s*** about OLED display since I think the current iPhone display is good enough unless you want to see Meryl Streep HD on a movie (I bet none of you will want to). That said, no phone can be compared to the iPhone unless the navigation and the simplicity can be matched. iPhone, I will have to say, is still the king of multi-touch screen phones.

Apple has it's own agenda for the iPhone and so far, I'm happy with it.

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

18. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

im still waiting on video recording on the iphone, and this thing records in HD

19. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Won't be an iPhone killer until Samsung figures out how to make a viable touch interface. Look at the videos from WWDC.. it's crap.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The Touch Diamond 2 and Pro 2 look very nice as well, with their 800x480 screens.

I like the way you can review everything related to a person you're talking with... emails, texts, calendar, etc.

The zoom bar under the screen (so you can do it one-handed and not cover the image or page with your fingers) seems to be a useful idea.

HTC devices also have a thriving mod community.

21. Leeny182 macrumors newbie

Gotcha

I see, I didnt realize they were different. haha... Shows you how much I know about cell phones.

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Until the Palm Pre is released.

23. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yup, definitely shows the level of intelligence 80% of iPhone owners have. :rolleyes: