Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

litteraround

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
hi guys,

well, i am new here. so, plz go easy on me;)

Now, i am sure that by now u are all aware of the upcoming Samsung monster called the Omnia HD. Among other things, it has an extra bright and crisp OLED display (frankly much better that the iphone from the videos I have seen), an 8.0 Megapixel camera and multitasking.

I was wondering if anyone here considered it (sorry for using the term) 'the iphone killer'.
If given a choice between the iphone 3g and Omnia HD, which would you rather buy. stating specific reasons for your choice would be nice.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
hi guys,

well, i am new here. so, plz go easy on me;)

Now, i am sure that by now u are all aware of the upcoming Samsung monster called the Omnia HD. Among other things, it has an extra bright and crisp OLED display (frankly much better that the iphone from the videos I have seen), an 8.0 Megapixel camera and multitasking.

I was wondering if anyone here considered it (sorry for using the term) 'the iphone killer'.
If given a choice between the iphone 3g and Omnia HD, which would you rather buy. stating specific reasons for your choice would be nice.

I'd take the Omnia..... won't crack when I drop it.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
You could tell people that the Omnia doubles as an ATM machine, spitting out hundred dollar bills intermittently, and people around here would still argue the iPhone is better. The Omnia sounds great, but it still runs Windows Mobile doesn't it? In that case, that's like mounting a Ford Focus engine on the chassis of a Ferrari.

litteraround

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
kas23 - I believe that people are generally rational, would take the side of what actually is better. So, if people here truly think that their iphone is better, than sure I respect that opinion. heck, that's is what this thread is for.
And no, this new version of Omnia actually has Symbian Touchscreen OS on it, i think its the same as what will be on the N97.

Four20 - here is your link: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8910_omnia_hd-review-317.php

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I'm hoping that the next gen iPhone has an AMOLED screen, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The Omnia HD has great features. But it doesn't run OS X and it's probably not easy to sync it with my mac. And those are the killer features for me. So for me the iPhone is better.

That being said I do hope when apple updates the iPhone they do some much needed hardware and software improvements.

Ekelon

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
If you're going to utilize the Camera a heck of a lot, then I would get the Omnia. Otherwise, the iPhone is more versatile IMO because of OX X and it's apps.

Leeny182

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Woodbridge, CA
Ive been looking at it...

Ive been looking at getting the Samsung Omnia when my new every two is up. I would LOVE to get an iPhone because of how easy it would be to sync it with my MacBook but I absolutely hate At&t. I had At&t twice and both experiences were not worth my money. I love Verizon and have been with them 4 years since switching from At&t. I am looking at the Samsung but hate that it is Windows. There is a fairly inexpensive program available though to be able to sync your Mac with it called MissingSync. I've read a few good reviews for it and would consider purchasing it if I do decide on the Samsung Omnia. I dont want to kill the iPhone because I think its a great device but I just wish it wasnt with At&t... (stupid Verizon for not taking up the offer!!!). But its getting easier for us Mac users to go with alternative devices on much better networks. :D

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Ive been looking at getting the Samsung Omnia when my new every two is up. I would LOVE to get an iPhone because of how easy it would be to sync it with my MacBook but I absolutely hate At&t. I had At&t twice and both experiences were not worth my money. I love Verizon and have been with them 4 years since switching from At&t. I am looking at the Samsung but hate that it is Windows. There is a fairly inexpensive program available though to be able to sync your Mac with it called MissingSync. I've read a few good reviews for it and would consider purchasing it if I do decide on the Samsung Omnia. I dont want to kill the iPhone because I think its a great device but I just wish it wasnt with At&t... (stupid Verizon for not taking up the offer!!!). But its getting easier for us Mac users to go with alternative devices on much better networks. :D

The Samsung Omnia HD operates on a GSM system according to the articles I've read and that's not Verizon.

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
I want to just CRUSH these threads. Those phones offer nothing but good specs. I like how fast and agile you can navigate on the iPhone while on the Omnia and Nokia N97, you can clearly see the lag and the slowness of the multi-touch on those devices. I don't care about the 8MP camera since a camera should be a camera and a phone should be a phone unless you want a quick snap of something interesting. I don't care about the feature where teenagers can text each other about their drinking stories. I don't give a s*** about OLED display since I think the current iPhone display is good enough unless you want to see Meryl Streep HD on a movie (I bet none of you will want to). That said, no phone can be compared to the iPhone unless the navigation and the simplicity can be matched. iPhone, I will have to say, is still the king of multi-touch screen phones.

Apple has it's own agenda for the iPhone and so far, I'm happy with it.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
im still waiting on video recording on the iphone, and this thing records in HD

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Won't be an iPhone killer until Samsung figures out how to make a viable touch interface. Look at the videos from WWDC.. it's crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.