On launch day, possible to pay in cash for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Goldfrapp, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

My bank puts a block on any transaction over $500. Don't wanna go through the hassle of calling CS to remove block, esp. on launch day. Anyone know? Ta.

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Doubt it. Most recent products have banned cash, but they have not specifically stated it for the iPad2 that I am aware of.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Maybe if you paid part cash and part debit they would allow it, assuming it's not an Apple store. Try paying $450 through your card and the rest in cash.

4. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

since when is cash not worth money?

ive definitely bought quite a few things from the apple store with cash...expensive stuff too..

...im a huge drug dealer

5. Rx3 macrumors newbie

6. DS3 macrumors 6502a

There was some story with the iPad one launch about the apple store not accepting cash with their logic being that they wanted to enforce the two per customer rule for launch or something which they couldnt do from cash.

Im pretty sure thats not an active policy anymore and you will be fine, but stores like BestBuy and Wal-Mart will certainly take cash if apple doesnt.

7. Rodvette macrumors regular

8. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

US currency is legal tender. It should be illegal not to accept cash for a product that a company has for sale. Then again I suppose they have a right to refuse service to anyone. So long as I'm not being a jerk about it Apple should gladly accept my benjamins.

Who's complaining if they pay cash but still enforce a 1-per-customer policy? Don't see how the 2 go hand in hand.

For iPad 3 they probably will require you to show your national ID card and just scan your forehead to debit your account.

9. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Can anyone confirm this? I'm planning on buying an iPad 2 64gb on launch day.

10. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

The only thing Apple will *possibly* require is that a customer purchase a giftcard with the cash, then buy the iPad 2 with the giftcard.

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

It was their explanation not mine, but I assume they knew if your CC# had purchased another iPad from them that day where as someone with 10K cash could run around buying a bunch up for resale.

And looking it up, they ended up hand delivering and ipad to the person who was refused and got media attention and immediately changed the policy.

You may have to do the gift card at worst but you could definitely leave the store with an ipad at apple store, and straight up cash at best buy/wal-mart.

12. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

They better accept it, or they'll have the Federal Reserve to answer to!

13. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

They can't save your credit card information to sell to others if you pay with cash.

14. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

can't business's run their store like the want to run it? It's the buyer who decides if he wants to buy the item at the store. it's a private business so the government can't say anything about it if they didn't accept cash but only accepted credit cards/debit cards or gift cards. The buyer could choose to just go to another store. The store is not run by the government.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

16. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

I could have a store here in the US and just accept mexican pesos and the US government couldn't make me accept dollars. Of course who would only accept Mexican pesos? ha

17. Fireworld macrumors member

This is kinda worrying me! I have cash for a 3g 64 gig pad and they might not except it?! It's already too late to deposit it in the bank because the bank needs time to process the deposit. The funds won't be available on launch day. AHHHHH!!:eek:

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I do believe they accept cash now.

Don't you all remember the case with the old lady wanting to buy the new iPad with cash that made the news?

I guess not, with the short attention span and all these days ;)

19. rkahl macrumors 65816

Call your bank and have the daily limit raised. That's what I did.

20. bernardlee macrumors newbie

They are happy to take your cash. Saves them the 3% merchant credit card fee.

21. BradClarke, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

BradClarke macrumors member

Apple accepts cash for ipads!!

Calm down Apple now accepts cash for iPads.

Apple reverse the policy on May 20th 2010, just has to be setup in-store with your itunes account.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=7451439

Watch the video, and end this thread

22. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

1- legal or not, they can require whatever payment method they want: debit, credit, goats, small children. If people are willing to use that method, they will sell. They're not required by any law to accept cash.

Most people would use the same payment method for multiple iPad purchases. If that payment method is cash, it makes it impossible to even try and enforce the 1-per customer policy. They're going to see so many people on launch day you could end up cycling through the line a couple times with a wad of cash and picking up 2 or 3 from different reps.

I agree it's stupid but if they want to limit you just stamp your hand or something when you buy your limit, at least on launch day. I agree with a 1 per customer on launch day. You can always order 2nd and 3rd online if you're getting them as gifts.

23. jedolley macrumors 68000

Even if Apple does block cash transactions, I doubt Best Buy, Target, Walmart, or Sams Club will.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

I can see it now, launch day ipad2 buyers as they walk out of the store:

[​IMG]

25. BradClarke macrumors member

WOW! Apple takes cash for iPad's now, its been said about 3 times now in this thread with sources, They take it!

lol overtime someone says something conflicting with no sources, some other person will come in the thread and will say "WTF THEY WONT TAKE MY CASH" its all unnecessary drama.