On the desk, do you use WiFi or plug in an ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Buskape, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

So hey guys i just wanted to know,

When you get home at your desk, put your MBP on the table plugging it to an external monitor or not, do you keep it running on WiFi or do you plug in an ethernet cable for your notebook?

I am on a 25mbps line in my home and i find that when i plug in the cable my internet connection is more stable, faster and doesn't drop out sometimes.

Because, sometimes on Wifi, websites take a little longer to load or it seems to not load at all. While on the ethernet cable everything is just speed of light instant.

I have also noticed that using vmware when i go away from the computer and puts windows to sleep, when i get back, it takes a while for windows to recognize the airport vmware driver and connect back to internet, while with the ethernet cable it is just instant (again). Noticed this while running windows live messenger and the time it takes to connect back.

I also noticed that transferring files from my windows vista desktop computer to my macbook was alot faster on ethernet cable than on the wifi connection, even though my router supports 54mbps wifi :confused:

So are you guys satisfied with your wifi? Or do you use an ethernet cable for stability? Or am i the only one with minor wifi problems?

2. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

I'm satisfied with my WiFi, however yeah, if I do plug in my ethernet it is a bit faster. If you're able to connect to ethernet without any hassle, you have no reason not to. I don't because my current setup does not allow me to - the modem and router are in a different room.

3. bamf macrumors 6502

I use an ethernet cable when I'm at my desk. I find that VMWare seems to run a little better off of it than off the wireless - probably b/c I move large files around and I've got GigE at my desktop and only 54Mbps wireless in the office.

Even at home though I prefer plugging in to move large files. Ethernet is just more stable than Wifi...

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

For me it's Wifi. I don't have an apple router and I find no drops and good performance with 802.11N. You will get better performance with cable but for me the difference is too small to matter for most instances. My router is also in another room as one other poster had so it really is not much of a choice, I have made it from the start and find it very satisfactory to use the wireless network.

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I tend to plug the ethernet cable when working in clamshell mode. Since the connection to my router is gigabit, response times seem a lot faster than with Wifi, even as I put the macbook right next to it on my desk.

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Ethernet. It's faster, so why not? BTW, my Parallels is having trouble connecting to the internet. Windows XP Prof. saying limited or no connectivity but Mac is working fine. My ethernet is like, almost twice as fast, so I just plug it in when I'm at my desk.:cool:

7. mainomega macrumors 6502

wireless all the time. We have the printers and scanners hooked up to the network so we do not need to connect it with a cable. Having said that we've used three different routers (G, N, A) and with all it seems that the internet lags a bit when we are using wifi vs ethernet.

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

Wifi for browsing and email, but I've got to break out the cat5 for playing games or large torrents.

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

My PowerBook is on Airport for most use at the desk. The only time I hook it up to the terrestrial network is to do quick file transfers between it and another machine.

10. p3ncil macrumors regular

Prefers ethernet over wireless.
    Especially when I'm doing bank stuff. Don't wish to be dropped due to poor reception etc.

11. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I only have 5mb/s internet, hell my old wireless B router was able to keep up with that.

Only use ethernet when I have to connect 2 computers to transfer files.

12. theJamie macrumors member

I have a secured router (Belkin 802.11g- 2.4 GHz or something). It's old but I think it works great. There is difference with the cable-- faster connection-- but since I don't download gigantic files I just use Wi-Fi. I also have a wireless printer which is nice. I move around the house to watch tv or sit elsewhere, so I prefer wi-fi.

13. tdgrn macrumors 6502

My router is in the living room with the cable box, so its wifi for me all the time. I have N wireless, and it works fine of streaming HD video, or using VNC server and playing games online. Maybe you guys should invest in a better router.

14. RyanF2009 macrumors member

When I'm at home I just use WiFi because my DSL isn't fast enough to warrant plugging it in, but when I'm at school I try to use Ethernet as much as possible because the connection speed is faster than the G routers can keep up with and I want the full throughput.

15. pbasser2 macrumors member

pbasser2

usaually at home on WIFI here is my speedtest now I dont know if it makes a difference if I hook up to the ethernet vs wifi. maybe someone else knows.

Attached Files:

16. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Always use ethernet at my desk... quicker for backups and accessing files from my central storage, so why not. But I rarely have Wifi issues either, so it's no big deal and I'm happy to connect either way.

17. Old Wembley macrumors member

just reminded me to switch. soooo much faster :D

18. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

All my computers connect to the router wirelessly, except my PowerMac, which has a gigabit connection.

19. vanc macrumors 6502

WiFi. Not big different for me. I got a dedicated WiFi device. No sharing.

20. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I'm still on 802.11b on my old, old Linksys router. The thing is slow.

I'm still on wireless though. When I have to use remote desktop through VNC, I plug in my ethernet cable. But it's usually connected to my PS3 that's connected to my 52" 1080p HDTV, which I use for streaming media from my PC downstairs.

I should really look into upgrading my router. Too many things to buy, not enough money... ah.

21. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

ditto. I'm rockin' a 3 mbps line (that actually hovers around 1.6). Thai ISPs proudly advertise false internet speeds.

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My WiFi is very stable and I can't remember the last time I've had to reset it or had it drop my connection. I always get the top speed (25mbps) on WiFi, so I stay on WiFi then entire time, whether it is on my desk or used as a portable.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

If I'm downloading a movie I will usually do it over ethernet, it seems to go a bit faster.

When I sit down to change a bunch of passwords I will use ethernet as well, even though my net is secured with WPA2. Just habit.

24. jableskg macrumors regular

I cant view an HD video on YouTube like this without it stopping constantly with my wifi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bsXOcK9_Cw

(Anyone care to test it themselves i would be interested to see if it works non-stop for you)

It performs better connected directly but it still stops, only less frequently.

At first i thought it was my wireless G router so i switched to the "faster" wireless N, and it still didnt help my cause. I have Verizon DSL.

I'm wondering if i switched to FIOS if this would solve the problem both wirelessly and direct??

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

54Mbps is only about 20Mbps in reality and that's only when you're right next to the access point.

N should be faster, but it also depends on your connection.