Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Anyone gone from a MacBook Pro 13’’ 2015 to a 15’’ 2016-2018 design? In terms of portability what sort of compromise have you made and do you find yourself leaving the machine in a fixed place a lot more than the 13?

I’m not adverse to larger devices as I own a 12.9 iPad Pro, however I do find myself going for the 9.7 Pro over the 12.9 when travelling - as such I’m wondering if the 15 is more of a desktop in a neat form factor versus a portable 13 laptop.

rubberducker

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
I have both a 2017 13 inch MacBook Pro and a 15 inch (thanks work!).

I would say if you don't need the power the 13 inch is by far the more portable and lovely machine to use. I would pick it every time to travel with if I just need to do basic stuff on the laptop. However I am a video editor and need as much portable power as I can take with me - which is why I have both.

Long story, short. If you don't need the power (for video editing/3d graphics/data crunching) go for the 13. You can always suppliment the lack of graphics card with that External Blackmagic GPU when you are at home.

fb3

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2017

I would say if you don't need the power the 13 inch is by far the more portable and lovely machine to use. I would pick it every time to travel with if I just need to do basic stuff on the laptop. However I am a video editor and need as much portable power as I can take with me - which is why I have both.

Long story, short. If you don't need the power (for video editing/3d graphics/data crunching) go for the 13. You can always suppliment the lack of graphics card with that External Blackmagic GPU when you are at home.

@Smeaton1724 Exactly in the same situation!

I'm debating if I would want to spend the extra 500 Euros to go 15" (would love the 2 extra cores, an i7 instead of i5 and more screen I guess - don't really NEED it though), but I'm afraid I'd use it as a desktop replacement most of the time due to size or bulk... Don't care for the dGPU - that's actually a plus for the 13" for me!

I currently have a rMB 12" from work and while it's just too damn weak (inly good for text and web) the portability is insane...

Reactions: Smeaton1724

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Most of the work I do on the road requires two or three documents open side-by-side. I found the 13" MBP too cramped for this purpose. However, for most folks who don't have such an unusual document-centered workflow, the 13" is indeed the sweet spot in the MBP lineup.

I've kept my 15" and sold the 13" MBP on just because I cannot justify having two laptops and my 5K iMac. Next year, however, I intend to buy a 5K display and replace the iMac with a 2018 15" MBP. I currently have my iMac and a TBD side-by-side. The new 15" base model will out-perform my quad-core i7 iMac. I just need something to 'match' the 5K display, to which I've become annoyingly accustomed.

Since my laptop will effectively become my desktop, I'll be able to justify a 13" MBP or 12" MB as a travel machine. I'm heading to Africa with the 15", which is a genuine arm-bender on a long trip. I'll do relatively little work in Africa, so a 13" would be a far better choice. Alas, I'm stuck with the 4 lb. 15" as my travel machine for the moment.

Reactions: macintoshmac

fb3

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2017
Most of the work I do on the road requires two or three documents open side-by-side. I found the 13" MBP too cramped for this purpose. However, for most folks who don't have such an unusual document-centered workflow, the 13" is indeed the sweet spot in the MBP lineup.

I've kept my 15" and sold the 13" MBP on just because I cannot justify having two laptops and my 5K iMac. Next year, however, I intend to buy a 5K display and replace the iMac with a 2018 15" MBP. I currently have my iMac and a TBD side-by-side. The new 15" base model will out-perform my quad-core i7 iMac. I just need something to 'match' the 5K display, to which I've become annoyingly accustomed.

Since my laptop will effectively become my desktop, I'll be able to justify a 13" MBP or 12" MB as a travel machine. I'm heading to Africa with the 15", which is a genuine arm-bender on a long trip. I'll do relatively little work in Africa, so a 13" would be a far better choice. Alas, I'm stuck with the 4 lb. 15" as my travel machine for the moment.

One thing I notice is that I get tense/ slight neck pain if I work on the smaller 12" screen due to me bending forward a bit... Not sure if that's just me or if a larger screen makes for a more relaxed usage?!? Or is it a wash? I don't have that when I use an 27" external screen but that's up much higher obviously...

Reactions: macintoshmac

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK

Thank you for the advice. I have an i7-6950x, quadro graphics, 32GB RAM workstation for work purposes. I had the base 2015 13’’ Pro to compliment the desktop but it was dual core and limited to 8GB RAM - it wasn’t suitable for doing anything productive. I can “get by” with an upgraded Quad core 2018 13’’ model but at the pricing I could just go with the hexa core 15’’ but ultimately this machine is meant to be a portable one.

Either the 13 or 15 can take an eGPU if I need one down the line. I also have an external 4K monitor i can use if I need extra screen space.

Last edited:

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I was decided on a 15" (I currently own an older 13") up until this morning when I went into an Apple store. The 15" imo just looks too big for a laptop. If I was docking it and not carrying it around all day every day I'd go for it, maybe, but seeing them both together, the 13" just look and feels so much better.

Again, this is just my opinion. I ordered the 13" today, so hopefully, I won't have any regrets.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Most of the work I do on the road requires two or three documents open side-by-side.
I sometimes need simultaneous documents open. I find Spaces to be extremely useful in these situations because I can swipe back and forth easily. macOS excels at window management.

Reactions: Hakiroto

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
You can crank the 13” to 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200 if your eyes can handle it.

I have run it like that for short times but couldn’t do it 24:7

pattarasai

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
I have many chances to use both MacBook pro 13” and 15”. In my view, I would choose 15” because of the following reasons, if I were you.

1. I have the office syndrome so if I bend my head down too much for a long time, my neck will be painful and trigger A migrain. From my observation, in 13” Macbook, the screen is not much small but its body is too small. Especially, the screen position is very low. I have to bend my neck down all the time while I’m using it. The screen position is lower than the 2015 13” Macbook Pro and Macbook Air, in which I think the screen positions are appropriate toward my neck.

However, using 15” can make me notice the difference. Although its screen is lower than the previous model, the screen is big enough so you don’t have to bend down your neck much. I can tolerate it all day without using any external screen.

2. The 15” MacBook is now smaller. It has the same size as other 14” laptops but you will get more 1.4” with it. Its weight is only 4 lbs which is not much higher than the previous 13” but you will get a power horse in your hands.

Last edited:

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
I have many chances to use both MacBook pro 13” and 15”. In my view, I would choose 15” because of the following reasons, if I were you.

1. I have the office syndrome so if I bend my head down too much for a long time, my neck will be painful and trigger A migrain. From my observation, in 13” Macbook, the screen is not much small but its body is too small. Especially, the screen position is very low. I have to bend my neck down all the time while I’m using it. The screen position is lower than the 2015 13” Macbook Pro and Macbook Air, in which I think the screen positions are appropriate toward my neck.

However, using 15” can make me notice the difference. Although its screen is lower than the previous model, the screen is big enough so you don’t have to bend down your neck much. I can tolerate it all day without using any external screen.
Staring down at the desk is bad, for which reason I not only use an external display (with my current 13" and my previous 15") but also raise the laptop off the desktop to get a better angle (I use an external keyboard, of course).

My own dilemma purely concerns use when at home/travelling, where the greater screen area of the 15" and the grater portability of the 13" are competing.

I was decided on a 15" (I currently own an older 13") up until this morning when I went into an Apple store. The 15" imo just looks too big for a laptop. If I was docking it and not carrying it around all day every day I'd go for it, maybe, but seeing them both together, the 13" just look and feels so much better.
If you were docking it and not carrying it around all day then you could also use an external monitor, which obviates one of the advantages of the 15".

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
One thing I notice is that I get tense/ slight neck pain if I work on the smaller 12" screen due to me bending forward a bit... Not sure if that's just me or if a larger screen makes for a more relaxed usage?!?

A 12" laptop is going to be difficult for any human being taller than 5 1/2 feet to use comfortably. You're either going to have to slouch badly or crane your neck down. Neither is good for you to do for extended periods of time on an everyday basis.

Besdies that, does it really matter exactly what from usage of your rMB is causing your pain? You need to move up to something more comfortable for you to use. You probably need the 15". Whatever money you might save in staying with a 12" rMB isn't going to be worth whatever injury you cause yourself. Neck injuries don't go away easily (if at all). Neck injuries also can become hand injuries too and then you can't type.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Excepting video editing, would you have then preferred the 12" wonder or still the 13" delight?
[doublepost=1531648384][/doublepost]
A 12" laptop is going to be difficult for any human being taller than 5 1/2 feet to use comfortably. You're either going to have to slouch badly or crane your neck down. Neither is good for you to do for extended periods of time on an everyday basis.

Besdies that, does it really matter exactly what from usage of your rMB is causing your pain? You need to move up to something more comfortable for you to use. You probably need the 15". Whatever money you might save in staying with a 12" rMB isn't going to be worth whatever injury you cause yourself. Neck injuries don't go away easily (if at all). Neck injuries also can become hand injuries too and then you can't type.

Absolutely true. No injury is worth any money saved on a piece of hardware.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've said this numerous times and while my situation is not the same as everyone else's. I prefer the 15" model for a number of reasons.
First you get more processing bang for your buck. In this case, 6 cores over 4 cores, though prior 2018 the difference was more pronounced quad vs dual. The use of a dGPU in the 15" is a huge plus, the default for 16GB of ram, was a nice plus and of course the screen. The main reason for going with a 15" model, much more screen real estate.

fb3

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2017

Hi.

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify my personal setup. From work i have a 2013 iMac 27” and 12” rMB as a 2nd computer. At home I had an upgraded 2009 iMac 27” (sold) and now have a 27” display (USB-C) that I dock the rMB 12” into. Setup is OK, but the rMB does not cut it for me personally (need more power for my pet projects) and I do need a private machine so I will get a new laptop... Also might move more into some freelance projects where I need a beefier machine...
Anyways:
rMB 12”: love the silent operation, portability, much to weak for my planned workload (not an option at all)
MBP 13”: 4-core seems powerful enough, still portable enough, screen might be a tad too small for longer non-docked operation
MBP 15”: no need for the dGPU, possibly too large when on the road (also i do have a iPad Pro for casual computer tasks while on the go, super happy with it), pricy, extra 2-core would be cool but not required for my planned workload, extra screen estate would be welcome when not docked

Also, while I have the 27” monitor at home, I like moving around in the house, too... So the internal display is important even if I do not take it on the road daily...

Just a complicated customer I guess ;-) So a trip to the Apple Store is in order...

Last edited:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Just a complicated customer I guess

Seriously, your health is of the first order of importance. I speak from experience from multiple perspectives. I was a clinician in an orthopedic rehab clinic for my first career and I have repetitive strain injuries from my second. Do not gamble with your health if you can help it.
[doublepost=1531652063][/doublepost]
For the extra screen size/ comfort in use that the 15” provides, I really think it’s worth it. In itself the 15” is a remarkably portable machine.

Yeah, I totally agree. I was actually one of the people who was disgruntled about the MBP being so thin and that likely leading to the loss of some ports and battery capacity. But then I realized that the weight savings really made a difference to the point that I rarely need to ask myself if it's necessary to pack my laptop because the additional weight is modest enough that it won't affect me very much.

I'm ok with thin now. I was wrong about that. The more I get to experience portability, the more I value it.

Last edited:

fb3

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2017
Seriously, your health is of the first order of importance. I speak from experience from multiple perspectives. I was a clinician in an orthopedic rehab clinic for my first career and I have repetitive strain injuries from my second. Do not gamble with your health if you can help it.
[doublepost=1531652063][/doublepost]

Yeah, I totally agree. I was actually one of the people who was disgruntled about the MBP being so thin and that likely leading to the loss of some ports and battery capacity. But then I realized that the weight savings really made a difference to the point that I rarely need to ask myself if it's necessary to pack my laptop because the additional weight is modest enough that it won't affect me very much.

I'm ok with thin now. I was wrong about that. The more I get to experience portability, the more I value it.

Interesting. Was hearing from multiple people now that consider recent 15” machines portable enough. I’m intrigued and will compare them instore before ordering for sure! Was kind of sold on the 13” before - now leaning towards the 15”...

Reactions: Sunshower

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Also, while I have the 27” monitor at home, I like moving around in the house, too... So the internal display is important even if I do not take it on the road daily...

Just a complicated customer I guess ;-) So a trip to the Apple Store is in order...

For moving around the house, I would probably not take the 15, despite its better size now. But that choice quickly changes if I do absolutely need the screen estate for the kind of work to be done.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
13" laptops were my preferred size for a long while, through HS and college. I bough the first Intel, CoreDuo white MacBook my senior year in HS. I upgraded to the aluminum 13" MacBook. The 13" Retina MBP.

... but that first 13" Retina MacBook Pro just didn't have enough oomph to drive the display; it was a pretty frustrating experience. So I bought the next gen 15" rMBP (Oct 2013, I think). I kept that until the 12" MacBook came out with Skylake. Decided to go the 12. I LOVED that machine, but I realized I didn't care for the smaller screen. So I tested out a 13" a bit... and realized really, I just enjoyed the 15" I had gotten used to so much more. Got a 2017 15" rMBP (what I'm typing from now), and I'm considering upgrading to a 2018 model.

Short version - as a die hard 13" user for years, once I was kind of "forced" into a 15", I haven't wanted to go back.

pattarasai

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Staring down at the desk is bad, for which reason I not only use an external display (with my current 13" and my previous 15") but also raise the laptop off the desktop to get a better angle (I use an external keyboard, of course).

My own dilemma purely concerns use when at home/travelling, where the greater screen area of the 15" and the grater portability of the 13" are competing.

If you were docking it and not carrying it around all day then you could also use an external monitor, which obviates one of the advantages of the 15".

If you can carry a computer dock with your 13”, you may notice that the total weight may be equal to a MacBook Pro 15”.

However, if you have those dock at your office, the 13” may be the better solution.

Last edited:

fb3

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2017
13" laptops were my preferred size for a long while, through HS and college. I bough the first Intel, CoreDuo white MacBook my senior year in HS. I upgraded to the aluminum 13" MacBook. The 13" Retina MBP.

... but that first 13" Retina MacBook Pro just didn't have enough oomph to drive the display; it was a pretty frustrating experience. So I bought the next gen 15" rMBP (Oct 2013, I think). I kept that until the 12" MacBook came out with Skylake. Decided to go the 12. I LOVED that machine, but I realized I didn't care for the smaller screen. So I tested out a 13" a bit... and realized really, I just enjoyed the 15" I had gotten used to so much more. Got a 2017 15" rMBP (what I'm typing from now), and I'm considering upgrading to a 2018 model.

Short version - as a die hard 13" user for years, once I was kind of "forced" into a 15", I haven't wanted to go back.
Interesting! Leaning towards the 15” more and more myself.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Picking up a 15 inch today, I'm looking at my TimBuk2 bags all 13 inch, <sigh>

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I been going back and forth and realised that to me a 15" is too big to be a laptop, I cant throw myself on the couch and balance the computer on one leg, or throw it around while flying as easily. And while at a desk 15" is way too small to use so I would need one or two external monitors either way. It is kind of in the middle for me, not great at being a laptop basically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.