On the phone with Apple right now..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlondeBuddhist, Jun 29, 2010.

1. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I went to the Mall of America to exchange my iPhone4 for having a yellow band. I ran a few minor apps in store and it seemed to be fine. They exchanged it for free and it was a painless ordeal.. so I thought..

I ran my GPS app to get home and to "work the phone" decently. I opened "settings" and looked at the bottom where the line was and on each lower corner a yellow spot the size of a pin/nail head was there.

I called Apple and was originally told that I had to talk to the store I bought it from. This seemed unsatisfactory.

I asked for the supervisor and waited about 15 minutes. She (Kathy) was very nice. We went over a variety of compensation options and I tried to get a gift card but they said (after calling THEIR supervisor that a gift card was the one thing they couldn't do)

We agreed to a free bumper and a free year of Mobile Me, which in reality is over $100 in compensation. While it stinks that I have to drive another hour each way, she called to reserve a phone for my swap so I get one when I go, and the compensation makes the drive less painful.

Blonde Buddhist

2. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

3. ballen420 macrumors 6502

Isn't Twitter 256 characters or less?

-------

So, because you didn't notice the yellow issue on the replacement, they are giving you a free year of MobileMe and a free bumper. Wow. WTF is this world coming to.

4. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Was I supposed to sit in the store for an hour? I had to get home, and the phone wasn't showing this issue unless an app that ran constantly was on. Since the phone was new, none of these were on the phone.

Why should you care? I am posting this for those with the same defective $600 product. They deserve the same.

Blonde Buddhist

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Combination between that and facebook status updates.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Congrats, but might want to check it out at the store first next time.

7. zoman504 macrumors regular

Yea, because that free bumper and year of MobileMe is really gonna hurt Apple. Shouldn't have a damn yellow issue to begin with.

8. ballen420 macrumors 6502

Trust me, I've had my fair share of issues, but I don't feel compelled to cry about it to a supervisor so I can be compensated for my time to and from the store.

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

not even as much as an SMS (160)

10. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

BINGO!

Should I have waited for an hour in the store, maybe. But the point is I shouldn't have even been in the store to begin with.

It's amazing how the people here rush to side with the company that made the defective product. I shouldn't HAVE to wait around to see if the thing is defective. It should be fine. Period.

If a gun backfires and kills someone would you blame the owner for not wearing a iron mask? Extreme, yes? Same point though.

11. rmwhite macrumors member

What happened to this? And all the other posts about your iPhone being perfect?

You're just as entitled as those you chide.

12. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

If I purchase a defective product, I take it back to the store and get my refund or an exchange. Sometimes, this is less than convenient and, occasionally, an aggravating experience. Never have I felt the company owed me more than the replacement, though.

There sure are a lot of entitlement-minded people these days. Everyone thinks they're owed something extra.

13. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I wasn't looking for something extra. Just what I Originally bought to work as it should. The supervisor agreed. Take it up with her.

Perhaps it's the lack of demanding things to work as they should that leads to products not.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't want a bumper or MobileMe, I just want the reception issue to be gone.

15. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

And where did i "chide" anyone in that post? I thought the phone was fine. Turns out it just cooled down.

Blonde Buddhist

16. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Careful Pal, your on the verge of acting as if your entitled.

17. peestandingup macrumors regular

No offense, but you sound like an elitist. Electronics break dude. And you didn't have to rush right back over when you found the problem. You could have waited a day or two. I swear you would have lived through it.

And you waited for an hour?? Lemme guess. You didn't make a genius bar appointment either & just decided you were more important than everyone else who did.

I agree you should have a working phone, but there's no need in being a jerk to people to be "compensated". Like I said, things break.

18. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I fully agree that companies should be held accountable for defective products, whether a unit is defective or there is a design flaw. I just don't get the whole, "I demand more compensation than what I originally invested" mentality.

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What!?

Saying that I don't want anything more than the product I paid for to work properly makes me "entitled"?

20. kolax macrumors G3

From what I hear, the yellow spot on the iPhone's retina display disappears after a few days of use. Apparently, the glue stuff that is used to hold the layers of the front + display together is still drying by the time it gets into consumer hands. Once that dries, the yellow spot is gone.

So Engadget reported.. I've not heard much more about the yellow spots so seems fairly plausible.

Hope you get a good iPhone now.

21. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

That is exactly all I believe anyone is entitled to. It is not unreasonable at all to want the product to deliver as promised. It's crazy to think otherwise.

Apparently, I wasn't clear on that when I mentioned the "entitlement mentality."

22. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

I work retail and trust me it happens all the time "What are you going to do for my time" "I want my gas paid for" "Can't you drive it over too me" and on and on and on

23. zoman504 macrumors regular

Agreed, this is the camp I'm in. I love the phone, just want to be able to make consistent (at least the same as my 3G) quality calls on it.

24. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

Good for you for getting compensated for being inconvenienced. You had a problem, you called the manufacturer and they did something about it.

I would do the same. More people should do it.

It's not a matter of asking for free things. It's a matter of letting someone know you are not satisfied with their service.

I don't get what all the hate is about on this forum. It's not like you didn't purchase the phone or were some anti-Mac troll.

25. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You bought a phone. Not mobileme, not a bumper. Just the phone. They're not all perfect, thus the option to swap it out in case of anything being wrong with it. And that's what Apple did. Then the OP went asking for compensation for not getting a perfect phone the first time around? :rolleyes: