On the verge of getting a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harybd, Nov 28, 2013.

1. harybd macrumors newbie

Hello guys, this is my first post. I've been lurking around the last month though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting the rMbp 13 2.4/8/256 (Haswell). The only thing holding me back is that there seems to be some issues (freezing, image retention) with that laptop, and that the only way to get a good one is sending it back until you get a good one (found this on the apple forums).

However, things here(macrumors forums) seem to be different. People are enjoying their laptops.

My guess: people complains on the apple forums looking for some official help; and here is more like a community of users sharing their experiences.

Finally, I won’t be able to send back the unit, if it’s defective, because I live abroad. As I can´t get that laptop where I live, a relative is going to get me one and will bring it to me.

Do you thing is safe to take the risk? This will be my first mac, I only had an Ipod, Ipod touch and Ipad before; and all of them worked great, and still do.

Sorry for my grammar, English is not my mothertongue.

Thanks for the help.

Greetings from Perú.

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

go for it..the issues you speak of have been addressed...good luck

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

There are many people on here who have the exact model that you are talking about and have no issues. The 15" seems to be where the problems are.

But if you think this forum is all just fanboys posting, then you're wrong. Just browse through here for a couple minutes and you'll see that it is just like the Apple forums. There are complaints all over the place.

But I think you'd be pretty safe by getting it.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

More complaints are given then praise for wonderful Apple products. This does not mean you wont receive a defective unit - it is possible. I dont know the % - but the majority of people that purchase an Apple product are very satisfied. Go for it!

5. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

bought mine a few weeks ago, has zero issues and runs like a dream. My advice is get it.

6. Mr Mystery macrumors member

I have the 13“ with 256 and have zero issues, couldn't be happier. It's my first Mac. Amazing machine, battery life is incredible, go for it you'll have no regrets.

7. kawalerzysta macrumors member

kawalerzysta

8. sheareb macrumors member

9. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Thanks to the OP for posting his question about the reliability of the 13 inch MBPr and to the rest of you for your responses. I too have been considering the 13 inch MBPr but have resisted because of the reports of freezing. I have had and loved a 2010 13 inch MBA for over three years. It still does a terrific job but by modern standards the resolution of its display is substandard. Thus, I will soon be upgrading. Thanks to all of you I think the 13 inch MBPr is the way to go.

10. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

Hi!

I got myself the 13" / 2.6 GHz / 8 GB / 512 GB SSD option and am very happy with my choice. Works great for my needs with no issues at all.

Enjoy your new Mac like I do.

Regards,
    Michel

11. harybd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all.

I'll be getting my first mac soon.

12. qawsed macrumors regular

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Same here. The freezing problem was fixed with an update.

14. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

If you were going to buy a 15" I would advise against it, especially as you cannot return it. It took me 5 replacements to get a 15" without issues.

It seems the 13" ones have better QC for some reason.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No major issues here and I truly love my rMBP!! :apple:

16. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

As mentioned in my earlier post here, I was pleased and relieved to read all the good reports about the new MBPr. I bought one at the local Apple Store yesterday. It has an i7 chip, 8GB of RAM, and 512GB of flash storage. So far, I couldn't be happier. The MBP's Retina display is startlingly wonderful and the computer is exponentially faster than my 2010 13 inch MBA. As usual, the Migration Assistant utility in OS X performed well, so the MBP has everything in the same place as the MBA did and operates just the same, except a LOT faster.

I have a VMware virtual machine for Windows. Because the old MBA had only 4GB of RAM, I often saw the Windows version of beachballs, both when I started Windows and when I loaded Quicken for Windows. Thanks to the i7 chip and 8GB of ram in the MBPr that doesn't happen any more.

17. seinman macrumors regular

I'll chime in here and say that I also have that exact same laptop, bought it day one, and the only issue I had was the trackpad freeze, which has since been fixed. Perfect computer, 100%. I can't recommend this machine highly enough.

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I have that exact model, and the only issues I've experienced were the freezing trackpad and the random beach balls (that one still happens, but it's not a deal breaker for me). The display is also gorgeous and has shown no signs of problems. I think you'd be pretty safe making this purchase.

19. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

If your friend is buying it for you at an Apple store have them open it and look for obvious defects. The people in the store will help. I did this when I purchased my iPad Air and they were very helpful. They provided me space at a table so I could open the box and turn it on to check for any major defects.

Most likely there are very few problems with MBPs. Apple sells about a million Macs per quarter. I guess over half of those are MBPs. Of those hundred of thousands of computers sold you see a few complaints detailed on this site. If even five percent of the computers sold had serious problems you would see hundreds or thousands of posts.

I just ordered a 15" MBP and will pick it up later this week. I don't expect any problems. I've had five Apple laptops including the first one and I only had one problem. One machine had a pinched wifi antenna cable which they replaced in the store.

20. ~Achilles~ macrumors member

I have the same (well early 2013 non-haswell), and the first one I purchased had a defective screen with dark lines running virtically from top to bottom - Exchanged ofcourse. The 2nd one I had (tested in store) had clear image retention after 10 minutes with checkerboard test... The third, and current, is perfect in every way.

I will say that you will inevitably see more bad than good on a lot of forums since people with negative experiences are more likely to post. But there are risks, and there really shouldnt be with a machine of this price. Apple's quality control still needs work.

21. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

First, I agree with you that what one reads in forums such as this one needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Inevitably, those who have had a bad experience are more likely to post than are those who have had no problems.

As for Apple's quality control, my own experience and that of my daughter, son in law, and grandson leads me to suggest that Apple's quality control must be pretty good. I bought my first Apple product, a Powerbook G4, in 2003. Since then I have bought a wide assortment of Macbooks, iPads, iPhones, and assorted peripherals, as have my family. In all that time none of us have ever had a problem arise with any new purchase and few of them even years later.

22. IndoX macrumors regular

Most of the QC issues here on macrumors (and else where) are regarding the 15" rmbp. The 13" in most cases has been really good at keeping a standard.

I bought the 13" rmbp the week it was released and I have had absolutely no issues other than the trackpad and keyboard freezing which was fixed with the firmware release.

The quality of the screen is amazing. Perfectly uniform with no indications of yellowing.

23. koa macrumors 6502

Just curious and probably a silly question, but did your Apple Store stock the i7 13" or did you have to order it. I had been shopping for one for my daughter and the stores near me only stocked the three configurations on their site. Everything else needed to be ordered. I ended up getting an i5 512 GB 8GB ram 13" at Best Buy since they were $100 less than Apple's education discount, plus AmEx was giving me $25. back for spending $250+ at BB. Still worrying if I should have ordered one with 16GB ram but with the discounts I ended up with the cost difference would have been over $300 to upgrade through the Apple Education Store.

24. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Although Apple Stores characteristically don't stock intermediate models of any laptop line, they usually do stock "Top of the Line" machines. So when I went into the Apple Store and asked if they had a 13 inch MBPr with the i7 chip in stock they said they did and I bought it. I was relieved I was able to get it with 8GB of RAM and 512GB of flash storage because it's possible to order this model with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of flash storage, neither of which I needed or wanted. No wonder, those options cost an extra $700. Yikes!

25. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

FYI, I just picked up my 15" r MBP and it is fine. I checked it at the Aplke store where I had it shipped. ( I got 2.6GHz but only 512GB memory. This combination isn't stocked. )