On the X why cant you just swipe up to close the open apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Nov 11, 2017.

1. richard371 macrumors 68020

They have added a second step of pressing one of the apps to get the minus before you can swipe up to close the open apps. I dont see why the second step is necessary. Seems it would be best to swipe up on the screen to get the open app then start flicking them up to close just like on previous models.

2. andy769 macrumors member

Makes no sense and drives me bonkers. Apple used to be know for reducing steps to complete tasks and now they are back to adding steps.

3. touchme89 macrumors regular

touchme89

They've made it harder on purpose, you shouldn't be force closing your apps anyway (unless the app has crashed), it has a detrimental affect on your battery.

4. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

I much prefer it like webOS where we swipe up to close them. But Apple is doing it for less accidental app closes.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Why can't you just rearrange apps on the home screen without holding them? Because that would make the phone really confusing to use.

Same logic applies here swipe up is now an integral part to the gestures on the X so you have to enable a different "mode" if you will so that the gesture now makes sense why it is doing something different.

6. neferr macrumors newbie

Because swipe up is now the native gesture to go home.

7. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Why though? I thought closing the app would mean it wouldn't be running any processes in the background or using up memory.

8. mcdj, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

9. jyyz macrumors regular

You already said what I was going to say, sorry! Delete

10. CiccioAtSea macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

You know you CAN actually swipe up to close apps, after you long press on one of the apps and the red signs appear, right??

11. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

13. bluej3 macrumors member

Yes, i know. U r right. When u long press and once the red sign appears, swipe the apps up one by one to close. Simple and easy.

14. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

It's similar to when you swipe left for lockscreen messages. It will ask you to either view or delete. On Android, you can swipe it away left or right.

The iOS "way" (not plural) doesn't seem seamless enough. I never understood why they would ask you to either view or delete? If you accidentally deleted the lockscreen message, it's still there on the Messages app.

Just added steps no different than having two areas to view lockscreen messages and toggles when they should be together. Messages below the toggles you want.

15. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It’s now a shared gesture which is going to make people swipe happy.

I’m willing to bet in testing people were closing apps way too often by mistake and losing content.

It’s not a big deal to me personally.

16. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes I know that but is an extra step. Sounds like closing apps is unnecessary.

17. WilliamG macrumors G3

Unfortunately it's this.

18. Looney01 macrumors 6502

Yeah but they can allow swipe up to close app if you are within the app switcher. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be possible if you are within the app switcher. I have submitted feedback regarding this.

19. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

It doesn't use more or less battery, do whatever makes you happy... personally I like to keep what I have open 'pruned' simply because it makes it easier to find apps when you're switching back and forward, can't stand flicking through dozens of apps!

20. SBruv macrumors 6502a

Er... whut?

21. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Except for then the same gesture you use to get out of the app switcher would be used to close apps. Still confusing.

22. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Op i feel your pain, i hate it too!!
    Specially when this is how you close apps on the ipad. Technically we don’t even need the home button on the ipad since ios 11 came out. App switching should be a lottle more consistent between ios devices.

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Given the reported efficiency of the A11, the couple of seconds of resource allocation that it takes to launch an app fresh will have no noticeable effect on battery life unless you close and restart the same app dozens of times a day. And if you keep everything open the phone will effectively shut them down and have to relaunch them again at some point anyway since RAM isn't infinite.

24. everythingapplerainbow macrumors regular

everythingapplerainbow

Can people shut up about "You should not close the app"? I don't care about battery or RAM. A lot of developers suck at doing navigation inside their app, and we all need to relaunch the app when it get stucked at downloading, advertisement and need a restart.

25. Pascal325 Suspended

It's better to close the Apps. He has no clue. And don't believe an article you read from a nobody on the web either.