Once iPod Touch 1.1.1 hacked, who is going to wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Arisian, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Just a quick question. I know many of you are waiting to see what happens with the 1.1.1 hacks just as eagerly as I am. Although I am excited to see it hacked, I still think I will wait until apple releases there NEXT update to see what functionality that actually add and to also see if they start bricking iPods much like they did the iphones. I was just wondering if I am the only weird person around here that doesnt want to have a really nice, shiny, broken ipod touch. :-D

I'm sure you all have an opinion as well!
    Thanks,
    Arisian

2. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Based on the fact that the method they are using for the hack is infact a rather serious security flaw in the device, I'd expect apple to patch it fairly shortly after the hack is viable for the average user, if not before.

I'm going wait for it to play out, I can't see apple bricking devices that have utilised hacks, though you just can't trust them these days.

3. Malcster macrumors 6502

Yep, im not sure myself yet.

I want the calendar app to be able to create events, now whether i do that by hacking 1.1.1 and adding the iPhone iCal app to my touch.. or i wait to see if Apple add it themselves (and hopefully notes too!! *nudge steve*) officially into 1.1.2 im not sure...

The TIFF exploit which they all base the hack on will of course be the first thing fixed by Apple in 1.1.2...

Ill wait and see how it plays out initially i think..

4. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

i assume they are adding support for adding content to the calendar based on recent posts (whether they are true or not). Does anyone know when 1.1.2 comes out, I've heard different things and Im not sure whom is joking or not.

Anyways, Im also taking the wait and see approach. 1 weeks worth of hacked ipod isnt worth a broken ipod for hte rest of its life.

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that if these hackers would keep quiet about the METHODS used to hack the ipod, but provided the software and kept working towards a more foolproof and comprehesive way to open up the ipod, apple might not break the exploits every time we get a jailbroken product(def. not a rant, just wondering what you guys think).

I realize this wouldnt stop apple, but it would cause people to have to go through the hackers source code rather than just read on a forum.

Thoughts?

5. Malcster macrumors 6502

If they said nothing about it, it would still only take Apple about 10 seconds of sifting through the hack to find out how they were doing it.

They never announce the dates of updates either, but a TIFF buffer overflow is a fairly serious security hole which would be a high priority fix. so 'soon' is probably the answer.

6. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

I agreed that it would be discovered, I have no doubt. So on this point I agree with you however, since apple more than likely doesnt have the process they are using w/ the TIFF exploit, they can't look through what they are doing. If Apple didnt know that the hackers had exploited the iPod with a TIFF exploit, they wouldnt be able to look in the right place, find the exploit, and fix it without even having to go through the hackers code. To fix this issue apple just has to release a new mobilesafari patch w/o having to really do the work of figuring out HOW the hackers exploited it.

Also, there are ways to make your code more confusing, put dead-ends into code, a massive amount of includes from other files, etc that would hamper this process. Undoubtedly, apple would have to go through the process of getting the code, installing it, finding out how its working, and then release a patch (2 or 3 more steps rather than just announcing to them what the issue is so they can fix it). I'm sure it wouldnt take them that long (2 or 3 days or maybe, if we were lucky... a week!). However, since this is a declared cat and mouse game, wouldnt it be best to not give away our secrets right off the bat. I agree with what you said, I guess there is just more to the question that I stated earlier. Thanks for your reply

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm planning on waiting until I'm sure mine does not have any problems with it and then I will hack it, and just wait to upgrade until the next firmware is hacked.

8. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

ah, cool... I agree, I think I just ran across someone speaking about the 1.1.2 update as if it were set in stone. Thanks

9. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Even though i wish the iPod Touch had more software, i have no intentions of hacking it/installing unapproved software. No thanks to breaking a $400 iPod. It still is a wondeful little device just the way it is.
    I'll even be happy even if Apple charges for some new software. I'll take it with peace of mind.

10. Malcster macrumors 6502

I agree, i think the best way for Apple to solve this is to have a 'Mobile OS X Apps Store' in iTunes and let you buy the apps you want. (e.g. 5 bucks for Mail) which are then added on sync to your touch/iPhone.

Couple this with an SDK so they could have a 3rd Party apps section to the store as well and i think they would be onto a winner, at the right price no one would bother with hacks.

11. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

12. EtienneP macrumors member

I totally agree with you.

Nonetheless, one of the main things that bothers me is that Apple will be able to control what apps will be put up on the store. Many of the applications that could be useful may not be sanctioned by Apple and hence will not be able to be added to the Touch without some sort of jailbreak.

I'm still iffy on hacking my iPod Touch. I might do it if I'm reassured that after being jailbroken the Touch will be able to be restored to it's factory settings and that I'd be able to update from there on with regular Apple updates.

13. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I stongly believe that we'll see Apps sold by Apple very soon.

With the touch and iPhone 'locked' down so tightly, I find it highly unlikely that Apple will just not take this gaping opportunity to turn a little more profit.

Like the above poster, I'm pretty sure that Apps will be sold through iTunes and eventually selected 3rd party companies will have access to release their porducts onto a potential (almost definate) massive side-market for Apple and their shiny new toys.

I don't mind paying to add apps, so I don't have to hack the thing and that it all remains security tight. IMO, I'd rather have this 'lock-down' so things are as secure as OSX is generally.

I only ask for Apple to let some 3rd party developers push out their apps to the iPods so we can have a nice wide variety to choose from. Then I'm more than happy :)

14. jepaz macrumors regular

I believe third party apps will be available in iTunes store soon.

Apple is currently busy with the launching of Leopard and that would make a difference with both iPhone and iPod touch...another FW update next month.

15. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

so you guys think they are trying to lock it down so that when you do spend 5 dollars on an app, you wont have some guy ripping it off the ipod and distributing it?

16. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

What you gots to do is hack it then if there is a update DONT INSTALL IT until that update has been tested and hacked.

17. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Hacked iPhones didn't become bricks, unlocked ones did.

NOTE- We'll know more later about the Touch, but iPhones that were 'hacked' (jailbroken) were not bricked by the last update.

It was only UNLOCKED (SIM-free) iPhones that were bricked.

18. EtienneP macrumors member

This is what I wanted to know.

It doesn't appear that jailbreaking the Touch will brick it when trying to update in the future. At least, this seems to have been the case with the iPhone. Those who used to have third party apps can run 1.1.2 as far as I am concerned.

19. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im pretty much gonna jailbreak my iPod right when its released. Im waaaay excited for this.

20. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Yeah, with the iPhone not only did jailbreaking and then updating NOT brick the phone, but you could 'un-jailbreak' the phone and then update just to be safe. The new update just overwrote the entire OS, so basically you're starting from scratch with a fresh updated OS either way.

Of course, it's not 100% this will be the case with the new 1.1.1 jailbreak, but in any case the devs are probably going to sort out most of it before releasing the instructions for people.

21. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

i want to see pictures of the ipt with extra apps on it rather than the iphone all the time... i know they have root access yada yada yada, lets see it!

22. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

23. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Im sure the hacknig community will have a tool taht reverts back to vanilla from now on due to the recent 1.1.1 incidents with bricking and whatnot.

24. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Like some previous people said only the unlocked hurting money iPhones were bricked so I don't think apple will be out to get us touch hackers..

I will install it shortly after it is released, however not until I hear some people talk about/see some vids of it.

25. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

Just a few thoughts...

Since the update (1.1.2) will more than likely UPDATE mobile safari, while the hackers have root access we should pull that version of mobile safari off of the iPod touch. It would be interesting if you could actually have two safaris on your ipt, one that has the exploit on it and one that has the exploit patched. This way root access can be accessed through the exploited version of safari while the 1.1.2 version would be used to surf. I dont know if this is impossible or not because I'm not sure as if the TIFF exploit has to be used every single time you want root access (doesnt seem to be the case since there are third party apps RUNNING on it).

So, my thought is that you just dont UPDATE to 1.1.2 and once someone does and jailbreaks 1.1.2, you can pull over the secured version of mobile safari to seal the TIFF exploit and possible malicious TIFF exploits.

What do you guys think? Fixing the TIFF exploit in 1.1.2 shouldnt actually break the ipt abilities to run third party apps.

Also, can someone clarify what happened to iphones that had the jailbreak, but not the sim unlock? Did they just have to restore since 1.1.1 wouldnt install?