Once the 6 comes out, will the 5s get degraded with colorful plastic? (5c style)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnacrumors, Jul 10, 2014.

1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Curious what others opinions are on this.

Will Apple continue to see the 5s as is and simply lower the price $100, or will they degrade it with a colorful plastic shell? (5c style)

2. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

The 5S will never change as it is now no matter what the new iPhone 6 looks like or what they do with the 5C. Apple will only lower the price as in the past.

3. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I think what he is trying to say is, will apple discontinue to 5S and simply upgrade the 5C.

The 5S will likely drop $100 like usual? Making it the same price as the 5C. When they released the c I was under the impression it will be like their macbooks.

Receive only hardware updates every year while the exterior stays the same.

4. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

If they KEEP the C it for sure will lower in price as well as the S but it sounds like the OP is asking if they would change the exterior - (His Words) to something like the C with plastic. I believe it will stay as is and they have already announced what will be iOS 8 eligible. Reread his post about will they change the S like the C to cheap plastic otherwise I agree with you.:D

5. cynics macrumors G4

I'm probably misunderstanding you.

But they basically took the iPhone 5 and made a plastic housing and labeled it the 5C.

The OP is asking if they will do the same to the 5S once the 6 is released.

I personally am on the fence with what they will do. The 5C will likely be their entry model and I don't see it changing except offering the 8gb model in the states. The reason I'm on the fence is because they will already have a colorful entry model I don't know if they will have 2 versions of that.

Have to wait and see.

6. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Maybe it is the way I am wording it but we are on the same page. I am just saying that IMO they will not.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Gotcha.

Why do you think that?

I can see both ways but I'll play devils advocate. We know Apple will offer a 5S spec'd device at a cheaper price. Why not make it cheaper to build so they make more money similar to the 5/5C?

8. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

haha fair enough, I think op just didnt word it correctly :p

But do you think they will keep the 5S around or take the internals and throw it into the 5C and discontinue the 5S?

9. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

I definitely do not see them discontinue the 5S at all. It is up in the air with the C but I think the S will be around for a while yet as it has turned out to be so popular especially when they lower pricing.:)

----------

That might happen, You never know and that is why Apple keeps us guessing...LOL

10. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the 5C will be the $0 with contract phone, the 5S will be the $99 with contract phone, and the 6 will be the $199 with contract phone. That way the 30 pin connector will finally die and all devices will be 4" and up displays.

11. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

My guess is that the 5S will be discontinued when the 6 launches, and that there will be a 5CS, which will be an iPhone 5C with 5S internal specs.

What I'm expecting is this:

iPhone 6 5.5" at $749 and up, $299 contract
    iPhone 6 4.7" at $649 and up, $199 contract

iPhone 5CS 4" at $549 and up, $99 contract
    iPhone 5C 4" at $449, free on contract

Obviously this is not ideal for people who want a 5S aluminum at lower cost, but I think Apple will try to boost or maintain profit margins. The plastic shells cost less to make than the machined aluminum shells.

12. MA-86 macrumors member

IMO:

4S will be discontinued

5C will be the entry model unchanged from last year (I think it was Apple's plan all the way - start high and then eventually lower the price of it as it gets older as to replace its entry phone offering)

5S discontinued just like the 5 last year (no need to keep 2 metal phones in their lineup to prevent people opting for the cheaper last years model and instead go for the next gen phone)

6 in 4.7 and 5.5 inch sizes.

13. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

The LTE connectivity was improved compared to the iPhone 5. That was an important step.

14. cynics macrumors G4

IMO this is hardly if noticeable at all. Same with the camera.

But like I said, its BASICALLY the same phone. Swapping or hiding the backs of the phones would make it impossible to differentiate them.

15. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

This is my thoughts, but..
    What if Apple keeps the 5C, but discontinues the 5S?

The 4.7 inch iPhone 6 has A7 processor
    The 5.5 inch iPhone 6 has the A8 processor.

16. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is your opinion. This is my opinion:
    I do not think the C will be updated every year. I think the 5C becomes free and the 5S drops like normal.

Apple discontinued the 5 for a reason it was against there normal routine, but they had to do it. The coating on the 5 was horrible and chipped so easy. Has they kept the iPhone 5 around it was going to keep doing it for another year then another year. That's where the 5c comes in.

The iPhone 5s just IMO perfected the design of the "5" series. I don't think it's going anywhere.

I also don't think we're getting the 5.5" iPhone in September. I think it could be 1stQ 2015 or later, but it's just my opinion.

IMO this is the lineup

iPhone 5c 8gb- free
    iPhone 5s (as it is now) 16 gb - $99
    iPhone 6 4.7" 16, 32, 64 - $199

I do think it's possible they up the entry level storage, but not sure as 16 gb is still the most popular model. I do however believe that's only because of cost.

----------

This is possible I guess, but I don't think Apple will make any version of the iPhone 6 with the A7 chip. I think they will all have the A8.

Unless they are going to do a "6C" or a "5CS" which is wrong on many levels.

Here's my question... If the iPhone 5c was getting updated why have we not seen any leaks at all for it? This is why I believe the 5c and 5s will stay in its current form

----------

Again I can see where this is coming from, but where are the leaks of a "5CS."? I just don't see two plastic phones in he lineup at all ... Just like I really don't believe the 5.5" phone is coming this fall.

I honestly believe there will be an iPhone 6, 5s as it is now, and a 8gb 5c in its same form as today, but it's just my opinion.

Pure Speculation!!

17. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

Why? The 5S/C supports a lot more LTE frequencies. That is a very big improvement.

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I wouldn't consider it degraded. I'd be happy to buy a 5s in a 5c shell. I bought the 5c as my first iPhone and a 5s less than a month later. Disliked the 5s so much I went back to my 5c in less than 3 weeks.

I really am partial to the feel of the plastic and the variety of colors.

19. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I expect the 5C to be upgraded to include Touch ID. Touch ID will be on all iOS devices by the end of this year.

The 5S will be discontinued/replaced by the upgraded 5C

20. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'd buy it.

21. cynics macrumors G4

Because making a single phone mainly benefits Apple. It's more cost effective to build less models of the same phone. Users in each market don't notice this. There are a minority that will but they are still the minority.

22. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'd definitely get one, but I don't see it happening. If this happens the 5c as it is would have to be discontinued as well... So I honestly don't see them discontinuing two different devices.

Sure you could say they can just keep the 5c the same just add touchID, but I don't think it'll happen ... JMO

23. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

It would make sense to me if they kept the 5C until the 6S comes out. Then you add 6C.

24. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This makes the most sense me as well. Update the "c" line every two years like the "S" line. Makes perfect sense.

25. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

I think it's a little hokey personally, but it makes more sense than anything else