Once you go Retina, you can never go back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbytallant, Dec 1, 2012.

1. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Hi guys

So I have had a rMBP, pretty much since launch. I recently however whilst browsing got a very good deal on ebay for a 2012 (latest model) 11" MBA. I told myself that I would see if I liked the MBA enough and then if so, sell the rMBP (the extra cash would be welcome, I am not desperate for it though). If not, I would re-sell for profit the 11" MBA.

Anyway I have been using the MBA today and really the retina screen has spoiled me. There is such a difference between a retina and none-retina screen - I do fear the experience between the two is so different that you cannot return to a non-retina display, having used a retina laptop for an extended period of time.

Has anyone else had this experience yet? For what its worth I find the 11" screen fine, size wise - which was another concern I had. I do not really need the power of a pro machine either. The only real hesitation I have with keeping the MBA (and selling the rMBP) would purely be the screen, which again (for me) provides simply a different experience.

My perfect mac would undoubtedly be a retina Macbook Air, which I understand from the chat on these forums is not a likely release in 2013. Is the retina screen alone enough to justify the cost of the rMBP, particular in my scenario when I guess I have a clear choice between it and a much cheaper 2012 non-retina Air?

Just interested in your thoughts/experiences retina MBP users..

2. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I use a external monitor for more real estate with my 15" rmbp and have no issues with doing so. Of course the retina looks better but can use a non retina display no problem.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm purposely holding off using a retina screen for more than the five minutes I did in the Apple Store, they look amazing and I'm scared I wouldn't be able to go back to my 'old' display! :p

They do look very good from what I've seen of them though. Personally, I'd keep the rMBP and sell the MBA if the need for cash isn't desperate, although it all depends on how you use it.

If you travel with it every day, I may keep the Air just to save weight, although I think the rMBP is pretty light anyway?

4. ctdw macrumors member

I got a rMBP when they first came out and returned it since I preferred the size of my Air. It was hard to go back to a non-retina screen though and I ended up with rMBP again recently and can't go back.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I'm having the exact same issue just now, find myself not really using the rMBP because of the convenient size of the Air, but then everytime I look at its screen, I'm like, DAYUUUMMMM, and then I'm back to square one.

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I had a retina MacBook Pro, 2.7/16/512 and had no issues going back to the 2011 17" model.

Maybe if it had a Samsung screen I would've kept it but unfortunately it had the LG screen and the Apple Store in Chicago would not do anything about the image retention as it was "too common".

7. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

So would it be very very unlikely that a retina macbook air will be released in 2013?

I mean, have to say it is not the most stressful decision of my life choosing between these two excellent machines lol - but it really is now a compromise for me choosing one over the other.

A retina macbook air would tick all my boxes - screen, size, necessary spec (the power of the pro is probably unnecessary for me at the mo) and hopefully price (when compared to the rMBP, hopefully lol)..

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Currently typing on rMBP. I will be returning to BB before the Holiday return window is closed. I prefer my cMBP - (mainly because of the price I paid for my cMBP). Screen is not that important to me. 16GB RAM is much cheaper also.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think it is very likely that more and more extra high res screens will show up on the high end. For the Air and similar things it really boils down to IGZO tech and when it is working. Most of the current extra high res screens just kill battery life or require thicker ones. Ultimately though high res is where everything is headed.
    Apple just wanted to be out first. Ones IGZO hits serious volume, things will change. When Windows 8 has really arrived (Software and all) such notebooks can use higher def screens which will help lower prices.

10. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I switch back and forth between devices all the time. It's no big deal to me.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's unlikely but possible. Asus managed to implement a 1920x1080 IPS display on one of their ultrabooks. It's not quite the same resolution, and it comes down to whether Apple can make their desired margins while shoehorning it into the existing design. I say "desired" as I don't want to get into the endless debate over system value.

Apple maintains some kind of rigidity in their price points. While placing an underpowered 11" at $1000 seems a bit silly to me, they do maintain one notebook in store below $1000. That seems to be the goal. I don't think they'll want to move away from this, and I expect the existing rMBPs to migrate down to the lower price points in a couple generations. Apple is known for introducing new things at their top price points. It also makes sense as yields typically start off lower barring any unforeseen supply constraints.

Sharp has been having troubles. I'll believe in IGZO when I see how it fits into a mainstream display design. It made me sad when Hitachi exited IPS:(. They were the ones that pioneered it.

12. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

I had to work on a MBA for a week when I brought my RMBP in to have the screen replaced for IR. The experience wasn't good and I'd never want to work on a non-Retina screen for more than a week ever again.

13. njean777 macrumors 6502

I went from the 15in rMBP to a 13in cMBP after seeing that I really shouldn't have spent the money on the retina and it only took a couple of hours for me to get use to it again.

14. torana355 macrumors 68020

Im sorry but retina on a laptop or desktop machine is not important or necessary at all. No doubt all laptops ect will have super high resolutions in the future but that is at the very bottom of my wishlist. I used a Retina MBP for a few weeks and had no trouble moving back to my 13" MBA. The difference isn't that big a deal.

15. JellyFish macrumors regular

I would not go back now to a non-retina laptop. I like mine too much, it has spoiled me. :D

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The nature of my workflow, along with my open minded approach allows me to use & enjoy the plethora of new Macs I own, whether they be retina or not.

I find my 2012 13" MBA a strong favorite, even though I also updated to both the newest 13" & 15" MBP Retina models recently.

Because I spend a lot of time both for work & personal, on a Mac, I treat myself to a nice selection of current models for variety & enjoyment.

I find them all quite nice, just some a bit more than others.

To me, saying that once you've gone to retina you can't go back, is to admit being open minded & flexible is outside of your control.

17. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Do you feel the same way about electricity? Saying you can't go without it is closed minded? For my part, my Retina screen has reduced my eye strain and headaches quite considerably, and that certainly seems like a good enough reason to be "close-minded" in this regard. Oh, and incidentally, you realize what you see is not something your mind can alter at will. I guess you can change your tastes, but let's be honest, the other screens are rather ugly in comparison. Call a spade a spade please. And no, I can't erase my memory at will.

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I often have my 2008 iMac running the same time as my rMBP--and when I switch over to the iMac I do notice how drastically different the display is. I get used to the iMac after a short time--but never enough that I would want to it as my main computer. I guess I am pretty hooked. :)

19. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

20. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I have both the rMBP and 11" MBA (that I'm trying to sell, check FS MR forums!). You can't and shouldn't go back. Resolution is one thing that people are aware of, but color is a huge difference as well. Going from an IPS panel to a much cheaper TN panel is painfully noticeable.

21. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

you can go back still.. i have.

once you go retina macbook you can go back to a maxed out late 2011 17" mbp. you can then be patient and watch them perfect a large enough retina panel for the return of a 17" mbp with retina display !

22. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I won't go back to a non retina MBP or iPad. But I have to go back to a non retina ATD if I want a large screen.

23. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes completely agree with this. It isn't so much the clarity of text that is noticeable, it is the quality of colors. The MBA looks so washed out now - again the rMBP really has spoiled me lol, I would never have had that opinion had I not used a retina screen for the past 4-5 months..

24. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Going back would be difficult. I hate using school and work computers (even my room mate's 15" cMBP) now, they just look so awful. To me, the rMBP has set a new standard for display quality. My OLED smartphone screen used to blow my mind, but now it just looks slightly grainy after using my rMBP all day.