Once you have an iPad, do you really need an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by applefan289, Apr 17, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I was thinking of getting an iPod Shuffle for portable purposes (because I don't want to have to carry around my iPad just to listen to music), but after thinking about it - the iPad does everything the iPod Shuffle does, and more...it has all the songs, their album covers, etc...That sort of crushes me wanting a Shuffle, or pretty much any other iOS/iPod device since I have my iPad.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you've got deep enough pockets, you don't need an iPod. (double meaning ftw)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I can't imagine carrying an iPad with me all the time. iPods, especially Shuffle are so much smaller and lighter, yet they all provide the same function that I need, music playback.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

its dumb to compare these 2 devices. Portability is key when it comes to mp3 player.

5. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, carrying an iPad around just for music would be kind of awkward...but thinking that the iPad would be doing the exact same thing as the Shuffle (and more), makes me think why buy the Shuffle? Just the form factor?

It looks tempting and I'm still contemplating whether I should get it or not...I've been looking into it for months, and I have an iPad 1 and an iMac...I think it would be a great addition (especially when wanting what's basically a portable "CD" player) considering its size (when I saw it in the store, I couldn't believe how small it was - seeing it on the website really doesn't show how small it is - you have to see it to believe it...)

Anyway, are they updating the iPod lineup in September? If so, what do you think will change for the Shuffle?

6. Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

Storage upgrade at best. Maybe different colors. I miss the shuffle Product RED.

7. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think it would matter for me, because I've already decided I would get green.

And my music library is only 350MB. So I guess I really don't have anything to lose if I buy one now.

BUT, I do kind of need a camera (I don't have a camera other than the one built into the iMac). I saw a rumor earlier about a Nano having a camera or something.

TOO MANY CHOICES!

8. joehahn macrumors regular

I just bought an iPod on eBay because I don't like the thought of using my iPad as an MP3 player

9. Scuby macrumors regular

I'd suggest that "just the form factor" totally misses the point of the different devices. Why did you spend more money on an iPad than an iPod in the first place - there's very little technical difference in what it can do, but the impact of the form factor changes it into a totally different device from the user's perspective.

My iPod Touch usually sits in the car, connected to the radio providing my music and also SatNav. I take my iPod Touch cycling, as it's got a lot of maps on it. I often take it if i'm taking a train somewhere, for music for the journey and to read the news. In none of those situations would I ever consider taking my iPad.

Obviously if you never go anywhere where portability and being light-weight are important, then maybe you don't need an iPod. If you never listen to music on-the-move, then it'd be redundant. But if you want to listen to music on-the-go, then an iPad just doesn't sit well in your pocket!

David

10. Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

How is that possible?

11. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've downloaded 36 songs from the iTunes store. The rest of the music I listen to is on CDs. (I don't have a lot of CDs either).

12. Bloodstar macrumors regular

This is really only true for the iPod Touch. The Shuffle, Nano, and Classic all are much different, in that none of them run iOS or can... really do anything beyond music, video, and images.

Some people may want to have an iPad for productivity, web browsing, videos, or other reasons - however, not always will they bring the iPad with them (for example, exercising) - in which case, the iPod would win out.

I do have to agree on having both an iPad and an iPod Touch being a bit impractical, from a non-developer standpoint. However, for any other iPod, it makes a lot more sense. Not to mention the Classic is practically a pocket hard drive!

13. iLucas, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

iLucas macrumors 6502

I can't even imagine using my iPad while at the gym, except for on the treadmill. Even if i used it then, i would still need some other type of music for lifting weights. I wouldnt want to put my iPad on the floor while lifting, and my iPod classic carries my music. I would never replace my iPod with my iPad. honestly, i don't even have any music on my iPad. So yes i believe if you have an iPad, you still need an iPod

14. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

Why don't you rip your CDs into iTunes? If you're still listening to CDs I don't think a an iPad is what you need. As others have said an iPad is way to big to be truly portable. I wouldnt take my iPad on a the L or when I'm downtown or anything

15. tmagman macrumors 6502

i still carry both my ipad and my 160 classic. I'm don' listen to music through the ipad very often on the go, usually when im set up at a workstation or something. I use the ipod as a portable hard drive too so I still need it with me.

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I either use my EVO or iPod shuffle as my portable player, the iPad is like a computer (metaphorically) and the iPod is a slave... get me? :eek: