One computer and multiple iTunes accounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedCroissant, Mar 1, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all. This might be a simple question, but I don't want to go down to one computer and find out that I am wrong.

My wife and I each have our own iTunes accounts and associated AppleIDs. If we sell one of the iMacs and just share one, can we each continue to have our own separate iTunes libraries as long as we use different accounts on the machine? Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, just set up two user accounts on your shared Mac. It's quite simple.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

awesome. Thanks GGJ.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

System Preferences, Users & Groups, "Click the lock to make changes", Click on the "+" under the users section and add a new user. Under "Login Options", turn on "Fast user switching".

5. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

My wife and I do this. Her media is on the 2TB internal HDD and mine is on the 2x2 TB external raid.

One thing that affected me recently when I lost my previous media drive was that on the most recent version of iTunes, in Preferences>Store, if you select any of the choices for Automatic Downloads in one account, the other account is prevented from doing the same for 90 days. This affects your ability to re-download your past purchases on that particular machine.