One expensive MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KennyJustinCaze, Feb 22, 2013.

  1. KennyJustinCaze macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2013
    #1
    Hello guys.

    See, this might be a stupid question but I reckon it isn't.

    I want to buy a macbook pro on monday, and I'll probably buy the top end one with the highest everything, 15 inch retina.

    Problem is, I'm starting to get really unsure if it's really worth it or if I should wait for the new generation macbook pro that'll arrive sometime in 2013.

    The reason I am unsure is because 3000 $ is alot of money for a computer, even though I look at it as an investment (I am building a studio in my house) I don't really want to buy such an expensive device just to get a slap in the face from apple when they release a new macbook pro with MUCH higher specs.

    So to the question: Should I wait for the new macbook pro?
    When will it arrive? I know its not set in stone, the date, but experienced people can still guess to answer my question.
    What do you think the new one will offer that the top end rMBP today doesn't have?
    Is there a chance they'll increase the ppi on the retina display?
     
  2. MacKid macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2003
    #2
    If a new revision six months later is a slap in the face, you should wait.
     
  3. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #3
    I'm a bit confused…

    If you're considering the top-end rMBP, you must already know it is sufficient for your needs today, right? Then how does Apple releasing an update in 6 months affect you? You already have a computer that's adequate for your needs.

    And by studio I'm assuming for music… I see tons of folks still much older Macs and they're doing just fine.

    ----

    As for your questions… it'll be faster. And what's the point of increasing the PPI; most folks can't see the pixels already, Apple won't waste money and resources making a higher density display people can't tell the difference of.
     
  4. KennyJustinCaze thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2013
    #4
    You didn't really answer any of my questions but I still appreciate the response.

    A slap in the face would be if the new macbook pro is way better and not just significantly faster. With this I mean, new tools that are revolutionary, something new that'll make me regret buying a macbook too early. I don't really care if they enhance the macbook with slightly better processors and/or graphics card, although, I would care if the new processors were MUCH better/faster than todays top end macbook pro.

    Alphaod: Yes you are right, but I hope you get the point. :)
     
  5. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #5
    A few weeks after intel announces the Haswell Mobile Chips, so probably july/august.

    50% more powerful integrated graphics (Intel 4700HD), slightly lower heat production, about 10% or so increase in processing power.

    Doubt it, they had enough trouble getting trouble free displays at the current resolution already.
     
  6. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2012
    #6
    My personal thought about this is if I am going to need the MBP right now, I will buy the latest one right now.

    If this is not going to be my attitude, I will again end up thinking "Should I wait for the next upcoming MBP?"
     
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    I did answer your questions…

    1) No, no need to wait because the current one is sufficient for your needs or you wouldn't be considering it.
    2) Integrated graphics will be better, but it won't matter since you're using it for music.
    3) 10% increase in processor performance at the same clocks; is it worth it? See #1.
     
  8. KennyJustinCaze thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2013
    #8
    You did, the first guy didn't.

    You guys are right, I should probably get the current one as I really need one right now.
     
  9. leman macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #9
    Why not the base one? The practical difference in performance is negligible.

    Well, the new one will be released later this year. Although I doubt it will have MUCH higher specs. The new Intel CPU is predicted to be 10% faster at best and there are probably no new GPUs for this year. I expect that the battery life will be increased though.
     
  10. KennyJustinCaze thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2013
    #10
    I figured if I'm getting a new computer, I might aswell buy the best one.
     
  11. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #11
    Yeah if you really need it, get it. Its an investment as you say. Is the new retina going to be earthshattering? Probably not.
     
  12. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #12
    If that's the case, I wouldn't go higher than the upper channel configuration model (2.7/16/512); the $400 upgrade to the 768GB SSD isn't really worth it, nor is the $250 for the 2.8GHz upgrade (and this is coming from the guy who paid for both :eek:). For the difference you can buy a good Thunderbolt enclosure and a 512GB SSD to do along with it… OR perhaps a 27" Dell UltraSharp (look for coupons online) ;)
     
  13. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #13
    The Retina was the big update to the MBP line. Anything for the next couple of years is going to be tweaks.

    In terms of usage you really aren't going to notice a lot of difference between two consecutive generations. Hell, I still use a 2010 15" MBP, and with upgrades to the RAM and an SSD installed it's almost as fast in day to day use as my brand new Retina. If you took the current Retina and the as yet unreleased model and compared them side by side in 5 years, you might see a difference between the two then- but not when it's released.

    As a note, my personal opinion is that the $2799 stock model is the best bang for your buck, and that upgrades beyond that are unnecessary. You could probably even stick with the 2.4 CPU and bump to 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD- save $100 and not notice any performance difference.
     
  14. leman macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #14
    With that logic, you really should not complain about it being too expensive ;) No, really, the base CPU and 512GB SSD will probably be more than enough for your needs. If you work with large data sets (or multiple virtual machines), you should also get the 16GB RAM upgrade.
     
  15. Coldmode macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    #15
    If you're still worried about upgrading after this conversation, you can always sell your machine in 6 months and upgrade to the new one. Yours won't have depreciated all that much, the new one may have a price drop, and based on your willingness to get the top end rMBP it seems that cash isn't your biggest concern: having a computer that does the work you need it to do is.
     
  16. KennyJustinCaze thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2013
    #16
    That is the case. :) It's for my lovely studio, and I'll work with it countless of hours. I want the macbook to be mental (as in extremely fast)
     
  17. eezacque Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2013
    #17
    Upgrades are usually not spectacular, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Taking into account that the human eye cannot really see the individual pixels of a retina display, I don't expect improvement here. So, if you can wait: wait; if you cannot wait: don't wait.

    One question: are you sure you need a laptop in a studio?
     
  18. KennyJustinCaze thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2013
    #18
    I work with Ableton Live. Even though I'm investing in the new ableton push aswell, It feels more comfortable to have a macbook beside me.

    Also, I need the laptop, cause I like to produce music when I'm on vacation aswell.
     
  19. xShane macrumors 6502a

    xShane

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2012
    Location:
    United States
    #19
    If you really need it right now, then I'd say get it. But if you can wait, then wait.
     
  20. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #20
    It wouldn't be anything revolutionary. I would go for it.
     
  21. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #21
    First mistake right there. It's a tool, as an investment it's a poor one. Question is whether it's the right tool for the job you need it to do, and you haven't provided that.

    ----------

    Spoken by someone that obviously didn't buy the 13" Retina :p
     
  22. Sean76 macrumors 6502

    Sean76

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2013
    Location:
    NYC
    #22
    I'd say jump in now...Theres always going to be something with better specs around the corner!

    If it's any conciliation to you, My brother is a DJ/Producer and he's rolling along just fine with his 2010 MBP...Takes it everywhere with him, and has no plans at the moment to get a new machine.
     
  23. MacKid macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2003
    #23
    The answers to those questions have been talked to death, throughout this forum. Furthermore, none of those answers are going to influence your decision. Your concern is "should I buy even though it'll be updated later this year?" The answer is that if you can wait 6 months, you should wait.
     
  24. sostoobad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2011
    Location:
    Boston
    #24
    My guess is there going to be huge difference when the new one comes out.
    Probably not, don't see twice the computer for way less coming out.
    Even if they could, they shouldn't...what's the next upgrade..4
    times the computer for 4 times less etc.

    And you have to decide on needs vs wants,personally for me, I use the entry level gear ..2011 mac mini...and a 2011 Macbook 11 air...also have an 06 Macbook pro...typing on it now....they all suit what I need them to do.

    I want a new 15" Macbook pro...not that I need its capabilities, I just want it.

    I see the price of retina coming down a bit,with as was said before...more tweaks.
     
  25. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #25
    All these people are making valid points. But you should consider this. The current rMBP is a first generation device. It's the first one of its kind. It's a fantastic machine and the majority of people are very happy with it. But if you read these blogs enough you will see many people who are having problems, many little quirks, which is common in all 1st generation devices. Apple and otherwise. Looking back the 1st iPhone was pretty half baked as was the 1st iPad. There are some people saying that the GPU isn't really fast enough or powerful enough to smoothly support the new retina technology and that Haswell will be a big improvement in that area. I'm no expert and I'm not sure I really understand what that all means, but it is enough to make me decide to wait until June or July or whenever that 2nd generation comes out. After all, I'm shelling out a lot of money and I won't be buying another computer for a few years. I don't want to buy the Beta/Guinea Pig model. In addition there is talk of the 2nd generation having this new mind blowing Wifi technology, which due to today's Internet provider technology won't make a difference in speed, but will improve range dramatically, and who knows what other improvements the 2nd generation will have
     

Share This Page