Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
At least we have a little time to familiarize ourselves with certain aspects of the phone's overall tendencies respective to each of our own habits. We can get an idea of a baseline for UI responsiveness, battery life, etc.

When the Jailbreak is released it will then be a little easier to identify issues (if any) caused by the Jailbreak.

That said:

Are we there yet??

:p

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
As opposed to my 3GS where I had tons of themes, hacks and UI changes, I think for the iPhone 4 jailbreak I'm going to keep it much more simple.

I will most likely just go with:

-mywi
-sbsettings
-five icon dock
-3Gunrestrictor
-installous
-gruppledlockinfo
-5 column SB

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
As opposed to my 3GS where I had tons of themes, hacks and UI changes, I think for the iPhone 4 jailbreak I'm going to keep it much more simple.

-mywi
-sbsettings
-five icon dock
-3Gunrestrictor
-installous
-gruppledlockinfo
-5 column SB

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the exact same thing. I'll change all my system sounds, add a theme (and tweak it), sb settings and that's just about it. Still, I'm jonesing!

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Speaking of sounds, I really enjoyed having the Droid (*blasphemy*) SMS tones. I believe I'll be doing that again as well.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
crawfish863 said:
-installous

It's so great to know that the low art of stealing applications will continue with the iPhone4.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
Like there is anything wrong with judging someone whom is a thief? You can sugarcoat it any way you want, it's stealing :rolleyes:

You forgot to mention it's also against the forum rules ;)
3. Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

hippyharry

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Some guy over at Hotukdeals has managed to get some sort of exploit running so far.

280k4ud.jpg

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/7079...hread-app/showpost.php?p=8927782&postcount=15

mustnotsleep

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Like there is anything wrong with judging someone whom is a thief? You can sugarcoat it any way you want, it's stealing :rolleyes:

cant speak for everybody, but i have bought several games i never would have before because i tried them out with installous first. i feel way too cheap stealing something that costs $1 that id rather just buy it, even if i dont want it. in any case, i dont care what you think.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
cant speak for everybody, but i have bought several games i never would have before because i tried them out with installous first. i feel way too cheap stealing something that costs $1 that id rather just buy it, even if i dont want it. in any case, i dont care what you think.

every time installous is mentioned it always goes south. But I want to add on to the quoted above in saying that many developers have made money off me that they would have never got to begin with thanks to installous.

but to the quoter, I think we are the "Few and the Proud" that use that program for what it was actually intended for.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Definitely going to be picking up:

MyWi
LockInfo
Winterboard (excited about actually being able to run this and not having it slow down the whole phone)
SBSettings
Iconoclasm (I hate the forced icon layout of the iPhone)
Shrink (this goes along with iconoclasm)

I have bought many of these apps before and if the licenses do not transfer, I will gladly buy them again

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
It's so great to know that the low art of stealing applications will continue with the iPhone4.

In reply to this comment: 1) I work in law enforcement, and I don't steal. 2) I do as others on this site do: I try an app, then buy it. I have NEVER kept an app and not paid for it. If I don't like the app, I simply delete it.

Perhaps Apple should institute a trial system for their apps?

Either way, that's the last discussion of Installous I will be taking part in. Good day, sir.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner...if there isnt a free trial version, this is the second best option.

theinvid

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2009
end of jailbreaking?

read this today....... I must say...sounds scary.

(below article is from techteet.com)

Apple store employees recently have not been bragging about the new features of the iPhone 4 but about the blocks made against unlockers and jailbreakers. They are saying the over air updates or OAU that runs every seven to fourteen days. This OAU gathers information from the iPhone and reports it to Apple. Information gathered includes the firmware and baseband version running on the phone.

As a part of the OAU there are mandatory and optional updates. You can choose to install the optional updates immediately or wait until a later time. As far as the mandatory updates they are required to be installed in order for the phone to function with AT&T. Your only option is to accept and install the update. You have to connect your phone up to iTunes to install the update. If you do not do this you will not have phone service.

If you installed iTunes 9.2 you accepted the terms and conditions as well as when you install iOS4. This implies that if you are able to unlock iPhone 4 it will only work for a maximum of fourteen days. This will become a hassle if you have to unlock your iPhone every seven to fourteen days.

With this new OAU AT&T and Apple have complete control of the iPhone device and what can and cannot be installed on it. Apple store employees have also been reported to have said that they have been instructed to not support iPhone that has been unlocked or jailbroke.

iphoneguy123

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010

Apple store employees recently have not been bragging about the new features of the iPhone 4 but about the blocks made against unlockers and jailbreakers. They are saying the over air updates or OAU that runs every seven to fourteen days. This OAU gathers information from the iPhone and reports it to Apple. Information gathered includes the firmware and baseband version running on the phone.

As a part of the OAU there are mandatory and optional updates. You can choose to install the optional updates immediately or wait until a later time. As far as the mandatory updates they are required to be installed in order for the phone to function with AT&T. Your only option is to accept and install the update. You have to connect your phone up to iTunes to install the update. If you do not do this you will not have phone service.

If you installed iTunes 9.2 you accepted the terms and conditions as well as when you install iOS4. This implies that if you are able to unlock iPhone 4 it will only work for a maximum of fourteen days. This will become a hassle if you have to unlock your iPhone every seven to fourteen days.

With this new OAU AT&T and Apple have complete control of the iPhone device and what can and cannot be installed on it. Apple store employees have also been reported to have said that they have been instructed to not support iPhone that has been unlocked or jailbroke.

A. This was a rumor
B. Any jail breaking can easily disable this feature if it exists. Android has the same thing and rooting can disable it.

Alex Hobbs

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009

As said above, this is false. You understand with jailbreaking the developers have COMPLETE access to the iPhones OS and how things run, meaning they can, with a bit of work, disable any features that Apple put in place to prevent jailbreaking.

Anything Apple puts in software wise can be undone, so jailbreaking can't be stopped with software updates from Apple (unless it were userland jailbreaks in the first place), Apple can only attempt to stop jailbreaking with hardware/bootrom changes.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA

Agreed. This phone is just so fast I dont need everything I used to have. Ill probably download:
SBSettings
BiteSMS
MyWi
Custom ringtones, obviously lol
Lockinfo (already missing it...)

And others, I forgot lol. So tired.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
As said above, this is false. You understand with jailbreaking the developers have COMPLETE access to the iPhones OS and how things run, meaning they can, with a bit of work, disable any features that Apple put in place to prevent jailbreaking.

Anything Apple puts in software wise can be undone, so jailbreaking can't be stopped with software updates from Apple (unless it were userland jailbreaks in the first place), Apple can only attempt to stop jailbreaking with hardware/bootrom changes.

Also, as noted in another post, how could Apple force an update if you're unlocked and running on another network (t-mobile for example)?

Still can't wait for that Jailbreak!

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

Also, anyone foolish enough to take their iphone to Apple without first removing the jailbreak deserves to be turned away. Restore the phone and the jailbreak is gone as if it never existed, they can't tell that it ever was modified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.