One Laptop per Child shipping with Windows XP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rasmasyean, Nov 11, 2008.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

LOL, Apple ever giving away cheap laptops? Steve Jobs would cry at the thought of it. I know that makes him sound heartless but come on lets take a joke.

Cute laptop, lol. But a laptop is better then no laptop, as long as it works.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple actually offered to provide a version of its OS for free to the OLPC project...

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's actually quite nifty. I rather like XP for its rampant compatibility and ability to run on pretty much anything I can throw at it.
    I think it's the best system for the job in this case.

4. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a stripped down version. Not sure what the capabilities are after.

But Governments get to give their kids skills conforming to "world industrial standards".

And Microsoft gets to give these kids "a drug to hook them onto".

:D

According to this:
    http://gizmodo.com/391054/windows-xp-on-olpc-xo-laptop-now-official
    ...it costs and extra $3 versus the Linux installation.
    I can't imagine how little money MS is making from this relatively, but I suppose it's just to maintain a proprietary commercial standard. haha

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

They have to do something with all those licenses.

6. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I spoke too soon. I guess they ultimately were able to get the full version onto the laptop with a larger SD card.

@ 00:50, that guy says that its a full XP and Office installation. It's actually pretty cool, it turns into a low power B/W reader in sleep mode for 20 hours. I didn't know XP can do that.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

We have one of these and should probably look for the instructions as to how to load it on. The UI of the standard OS is confusing at best, even for children.

8. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Logically, it makes sense to put XP on it. Most of the world uses XP so if kids are going to learn how to use a computer and function with computers in the business world they need to know XP.

9. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised you can't find anything. I figure by now they would even float pirate instructions for ppl to load XP onto the Linux ones. For some ppl around the world $3 is a lot of money! I remember that article where 244 official copies of Vista were sold in China! ;)