One mistake I noticed with Apple Watch launch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AdonisSMU, Apr 14, 2015.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Overall I think the launch of the Apple Watch is going well. There is one thing I noticed. Who is going to help people set up their watches? Once I get the watch at home, then I will need to go to the Apple Store for help setting it up? Seems like a clunky user experience to me. I'm not sure what Apple was thinking with that strategy. It's people's first time using the watch. You'd think they would want to control the user's experience with it initially to make sure the user can get it set up properly.

2. stevehp macrumors 6502

Given the UI of the demo units in store, I am sure Apple has this figured out. I was thinking the same thing as you but then realized that the Apple Watch app on your iPhone will almost certainly provide a page by page guide to help you set up your watch in the exact same way as the demo units in store.

3. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Really? Don't take this the wrong way, but you would really prefer someone at apple set up the watch for you? If you know iOS, then you will be able to figure out the watch no problem.

4. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

I know thats the assumption but if you are like any of my no tech savvy friends, they need their hand held in order to set it up and use it. Otherwise they will become frustrated and not use it.

5. gorkt macrumors 6502a

gorkt

My feeling is that this is why the Apple watch app was standard with the iOS 82 update. When you open the box, there will be a quickstart guide which will basically tell you to strap on the watch and fire up the app. Then the app will guide you through the setup process.

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

The Apple web site has already launched 4 Guided Tours with 7 more in the works. I think these may very well cover most of what is needed. Then there's always youtube with individuals giving instructional videos

7. shenfrey macrumors 68000

One mistake I noticed with Apple Watch launch

One mistake? Everyone's a critic :p

8. Crosspjc, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

Crosspjc macrumors member

I believe if you get the SS or edition then there is a video call setup process if you need it.

9. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Just one? :p

*badum-tish!*

At one point weren't Apple going to offer a virtual personal setup? If not then I guess you could go into store, or I'm sure there'll be online guides on Apple.com.

10. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

I think the Apple Watch iOS app will help guide you on the initial set up. But if you want guidance of bands and stuff, I think you can make a reservation for help.

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

This^

OP - If you open the watch app, the first thing is says on screen is to start pairing your watch. I'm sure it walks you through setting up the watch just like iOS walks you through setting up your iPod/iPhone/iPad.

12. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

That is clunky... The Apple Store gets chaotic a couple times a year at best. Its a new product category. Telling people here watch a video or sign up for an appointment after you already have the watch isnt a substitute for providing customer service upon initial purchase of a device.

13. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

your assuming here. Setup may take all of 20 seconds and be easy enough for my 6 year old to pull off.

or, it may be cumbersome.

We don't know so I wouldn't start speculations at this point.

14. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

If your not inclined to being tech savvy then it doesnt matter if a six year old could do it. Thats all Im saying. I'm always amazed but many people need the help getting started when it's a new product.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Hard to believe that the OP is even an iPhone owner.

16. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Wow you all are really quick to jump on the OP. I think the OP makes a good point. There is a wide variety of people that use Apple products. I personally know my wife's grandparents have a very difficult time using their iPhones despite the fact that they have owned them for a long time. We are talking about people that were born in the 30's and have only started using computers in the past 20 years of their 85 years of life.

Considering setup service is offered with every Apple product purchased, the OP makes a good point that it is surprising that this isn't mentioned during the pre-order process or through any press releases considering this is a new product with what people have mentioned is a clunky user interface so far.

17. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say maybe those people shouldn't buy a $500 watch before they've even seen one.

According to your logic no one outside of a 20 mile radius of an Apple Store should buy the watch (or maybe any Apple product).

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They'll likely make the Watch available for purchase in store in the future, and you can have this silly setup service that any thinking person can do on their own.

19. sterl320 macrumors 6502

20. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Yeah because a grandfather who happens to also be an engineer and lived most of his life without computers is someone who isn't capable of "thinking"?

You are incredibly ignorant

21. Hexcruncher macrumors regular

Actually an Apple Representative from the online store told me that once you get your dispatch email for the your watch shipping, you'll get a second email inviting you to get personal setup in a local Apple Store! Pretty handy!

22. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Well you are the one that's kind of underestimating him. If he's smart enough to be an engineer, I'm sure he can figure out a simple OS & setup... Like its not hard...

23. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

The OP sounds like he wants Apple to be like Sprint and hand deliver a device to your doorstep and help you set it up. I'm sorry to be insensitive, but if you can't figure out how to set it up, then maybe you should reconsider.

24. jrobert macrumors 6502

They have a virtual setup!

Its been confirmed that there is a personal set-up that you arrange once your watch has shipped. They will talk you through it on your computer will you follow the instructions they tell you, lasts 30 mins

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Exactly. My mom is as "simple" as can be but she could figure out the iPhone entirely on her own. On the other hand, I constantly get questions from her on how to work her computer.