One Month Usage Over 200GB on AT&T Unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Jul 27, 2015.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I throughly made use of my AT&T Unlimited Data plan last month. I usually stream music when I'm not home during the day. I focused on my YouTube playlist instead of Pandora and iHeart Radio. Myself and my kids also use Netflix. My iPad only has a 5GB account so they used my phone while on a road trip. Data just kept racking up. I find that it goes up much faster in areas with faster speeds. It's like having a big funnel instead of a small one that is restrictive. Their site showed 200GB when my statement closed last night. It takes a few days for all of the data to update so that will be higher. The last update I saw on my phone was 205GB.

I believe one other member has posted 200+ GB usage. He doesn't have a wired home internet so everything goes though his phone.

[​IMG]

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

No wonder I had trouble getting a decent internet connection lately.

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

How did you not get throttled? They send me that "you are approaching 5 GB of usage" text message nearly every month these days. I too am on grandfathered unlimited

4. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AT&T stopped throttling accounts in May. They might still do it once in awhile for what they call "reasonable network management".

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In order to use that much data your kids must have been near constantly watching video throughout your entire trip. Did they even realize they were *on* a trip? lol

I suppose as long as you were using the data for a legitimate purpose then fine -- as opposed to just letting things run unattended for kicks.

6. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a combination of my YouTube music streaming daily and them watching Netflix while on the road. I was surpized to see how fast it went up when I was in an area with fast LTE speeds.

7. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

And this, right here, is why we can't have nice things.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

More like 6.66 GB per day.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe in 10 years.
    Right now its just excessive IMO to use over 200GB's with a cellphone.

10. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Conflicts, don't pay any attention on aggresion. Congratulations with your number. I cannot be on the phone so much :-(, :) I like your thread more than "color of the phone" or "button stop working, what to do? -Exchange!!!!"

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

OP is like the guy that brags he can eat 300 shrimp at the "all-you-can-eat-seafood-buffet".

The temptation is the same: to tell both of them to get outside and exercise.

12. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

At least people can peacefully discuss what sort of color they like on their iPhones in those other "pointless" threads (we discuss iPhones here, come on), while in this thread it's just OP basically bragging how much he used up his unlimited data. And possibly cause flame wars.

13. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's out of the ordinary so why not post about it? AT&T hasn't updated for last month's bill yet but going by what they list for last month, it shows my previous 2 month average to be 48.18 and 2 month peak to be 59.95. Each of those numbers includes a few GBs from my iPad. The highest plan that they list is 50GB for $425.00. Adding $10.00 for each additional GB would bring the bill up to $1925.00 plus taxes. I get a 23% FAN discount so that would lower this to roughly $1500.00. With the Unlimited plan and 5GB for my iPad, I pay $121.25 per month.

14. YodasMaster macrumors member

Sounds like a whole lot of forum members are upset that they got rid of their unlimited plans before AT&T decided to stop throttling.

This is awesome news OP. Thanks for letting us Know!

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Don't see why so many users are bent out of shape because they're on tiered data plans. Nothing wrong with OP utilizing his unlimited.

16. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

That's interesting to know. I've been on a $30 unlimited data plan for years through AT&T. Although I'm not a super heavy data user there are times when I travel for work and rely solely on cellular data.

I enable native tethering through my jailbroken iPhone for laptops and tablets while traveling. It's nice to have a hotspot for the car or hotel if the available wifi is slow. The best part is that with my old college discount applied to my bill, the unlimited plan comes out to around $25.

17. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Last month I used around 45GB on my unlimited AT&T plan. They throttle me (since I live in the LA Metro area), but it seems to be sporadic, unlike my current location (N. Las Vegas) were their network is just a horrible POS system.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And this is why they no longer offer unlimited plans. Thank you.

19. spytech macrumors regular

I don't see why this causes so many issues on this forum :D In my country if suddenly someone with an Unlimited plan appeared saying he used up 200GB unthottled he would be a hero. If one pays for an unlimited connection, that's what he should get: unlimited access. That doesn't happen in a single ISP here. You guys should be happy that this is allowed there by at least a single ISP... If this kind of data usage is allowed it's because the system can withstand that much traffic going by. You're not going to have poorer service because your neighbor is pushing it good and you won't get different plans according to what people use... You get different plans by switching networks and making your original network hustle to get you back.

If I think this cellular usage is excessive? Yes. But he used what he could and needed.

20. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I have unlimited data but don't feel the need to run my device 24/7 to see how many gigs I can rack up. I don't feel the need to show off my usage either like I'm a hero. OP is just trolling for attention.

21. marshzd macrumors newbie

Does anyone else find it amusing that there's more rage coming from the people who claim there's going to be rage, than anyone else?

22. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

switching towers resets the cap. I hit over 2TB of data in 3 months on my unlimited back when my phone was my sole internet source.

Rock on man, AT&T has the capability to support it and the resources.

23. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I don't see what the problem is, seems to me that a lot of people here are pissed because they don't have unlimited data plans. I'm on a 5gb per month plan but that is fine for me because I'm on wifi a lot of the time. I downloaded nearly 100gb of music on my IPhone 6 and if I had unlimited then I would have to wait until I get on wifi to add the music to "make available offline"

24. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

this and people think that there is a single tower in their city and when someone with unlimited tethers it affects them like a cable internet service. A single users bandwidth isn't greater than another's, if 2,000 people are on a single tower the speed will be much slower than at 1am vs 2pm. If you're getting 12mbps a second I'm also getting 12mbps a second, I'm just using all of mines and you're checking facebook.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Posts were removed for rules violations and/or off topic. If you do not want to contribute to the discussion, please move on.