One night stands...

Whaddya think of the ol' one-nighter?...

• They're immoral. Sex is sacred.

Votes: 27 17.8%
  • I only like to have sex with someone I know and love.

Votes: 58 38.2%
  • They can be awkward. I always leave ASAP in the morning but sometimes remember to leave a note...

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • They're brilliant. Take what you can get.

Votes: 71 46.7%

• Total voters

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sooo... I don't want this thread to get too filthy and outta hand but I've been chattin' to some of my friends and was just wondering what your stance on the one night stand is. Are they immoral? Are they unfair? Should they be encouraged?

Anyway, I thought I'd make this a poll because of the innuendo and also because some of us may want to express our opinions in a more anonymous way.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
One night stands... the zipless 'encounter', to paraphrase Erica Jong. Marvellous.

If there was only an easy way of looking as glamorous the following morning as the evening before.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
One night lays are much better...my feet get tired if I stand too long.

I don't really have a problem with them...if both parties are on the same page. Sex is fun. That said, they're not my cup of tea. It's not really in my personality to get to that point with another person. That and I seem to spend most of my time in committed relationships. My fiancée would probably frown on me having them at this point. But maybe not.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
They can be awkward but I've never ran out.

It is more of a hopping motion where you have one shoe on and are trying to get out while still lacing up the other. :D

<fading into the distance>I'll call you lat…

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Voted "I only like to have sex with someone I know and love."

Never really gotten attracted to the "one night stand" experience... and - strangely enough - a couple of potential one night stands has turned into relationships... ;)

...and I definitively don't do one night stands while in a relationship... :)

L

Lau

I'm in two minds what to vote. I prefer sex in a relationship (and have generally done that and/or the one night stand has ended up being a relationship), but equally it's not as if I haven't had one night stands, and I certainly don't disagree with them at all, as long as you're safe, kids. :cool:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Somebody been following me around???

*Shifty eyes*

Seriously, I voted 'all for it', although I've been out of the game for 6 years now. As long as everyone is on the same page, I don't think it's a huge problem.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I could never sleep with someone I didn't know (or for that matter, someone I didn't love, trust, and respect). Personally, the thought of a one night stand makes me disgusted. I am not saying anything about it being immoral, but for me it would feel weird and scary. For the past month and a half I have been single after an "intense" five and a half year relationship. The thought of entering the whole dating scene again is nothing I desire anyway, especially in the form of one night stands, yuck. :cool:

So yeah, I voted for "I only like to have sex with someone I know and love." :)

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
To me one night stands are a complete waste of time and energy.

Sex with someone you are crazy about, totally click with, trust, love, and potentially want to build a future with is great, but sex with some random stranger is just pathetic. I mean, how desperate can you be?

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
what about someone you LUST for?

1 night stand with that person.. :D

(obviously.. if you are already in a marriage or relationship, that it not recommended!!!)

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
dalvin200 said:
what about someone you LUST for?

1 night stand with that person.. :D

(obviously.. if you are already in a marriage or relationship, that it not recommended!!!)
Are you asking me?

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
When I was single and wanted to stay that way, I had numerous "one-niters" and have NO regrets. Lots of fun, no commitment, no promises and home by 10am. What more could you ask for?

Now that I am in a committed relationaship I obviously don't have them anymore and will never miss them. I got married 6 weeks ago and life couldn't be sweeter!

I still say knock yourself out and have FUN!!!

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
you only live once, so why the hell not..

you will have plenty of fun, as long as the other turns out NOT to be a psycho and want to marry you.. lol!!

like others have said.. if both are up for it, then why not..

ps: use protection too :p