One serious iPhone 4 shortcoming...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jun 23, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Just the facts people....

95% of Internet connected computers have Flash Player 10 installed.

70% of Web Games use Flash

75% of all Web Video is Flash

3 Million Flash Developers Worldwide

This new iPhone 4... deserves to have full access to All Web Content.

Too bad Steve Jobs Crippled It.

This is not a rant / I knew it to begin with. Just came across these facts from the Verizon Droid X event today. I'm on the list and can't wait to get one. While I truly enjoy the Apple ecosystem, I don't need to be told by the _Arrogant_ One (Steve Who?) what I can and cannot use my iPhone for.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

really? another thread on this? really?

i like my batt life

3. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

You're on MacRumors.com. 95% of the users here are basically Pro-Apple, so calling Steve Jobs arrogant is pretty silly. The majority of users here will tell you to quit complaining because all you're doing is talking up your next phone purchase that no one here will seem to care about. Besides, HTML5 is where things are going, Jobs announcing it and sticking to it that Flash will not be available means developers will now have to use HTML5 if they want their products on an iPhone. So, in one way it sucks because you can't use Flash at all, but in another, Flash is a plugin that needs to die anyway.

4. I AN LEGEND macrumors regular

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

6. wope macrumors member

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then choose a different phone to use. I hope you enjoy the Droid X, it looks quite good.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

9. Centient macrumors 6502

I was really hoping to get a little quality FaceTime in with you. Very disappointed you're not joining us on the i4.:(

10. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

What part of "I do not need or want Flash on my phone" is it hard to understand? :rolleyes:

11. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/#

There's your answers to why they didn't include it right there, not because of Jobs saying he just doesn't like Adobe, but that it's a dying technology and HTML5 is seemingly a way better alternative. Apple has done things like this before, going against the standard and innovating new ways to do things, that's how they work.

12. macdim macrumors 6502

We know the iPhone doesn't have flash.

Enjoy your DroidX.

13. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Aaaaargh, one of those again...
    FINALY THE IPHONE HAS FLASH, WHAT DO YOU THINK???
    Another one nagging about the flash. It's just a tiny led, put on your reading glasses and look next to the cam. What do you see? A tiny led. A FLASH!!!!
    so stop bothering me with these threads.

Hehehe

14. bobdigi macrumors regular

HTML5 > Flash

Flash sucks and will die off soon enough. Go home fandroid.

15. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

16. mcprobie macrumors member

mcprobie

Hahahaha ...

Another one that needs his purchase of a Droid justified ...

If you doubt ... don't

Moving along.

17. fishmoose macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

18. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I don't mind what you purchase. But it's beyond obvious that Flash on Droid is slow and makes the browsing super choppy. I'm sure it'll cause crashing too, but that's just based on my desktop usage of Flash.

Have fun with your Droid :D I'll have fun with my iPhone 4 come tomorrow afternoon! YAY!

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

20. Asar macrumors regular

21. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Get ready for an inundation of flames on how nobody really uses Flash, no one wants it, and how Jobs made the correct decision to not use it, especially since his motives were truly altruistic and he was genuinely concerned with the plight of humankind, as he always is when making business decisions.

Something closer to the truth is that Flash is very widely used and some of us on our ipads/iphones miss it from a little to a lot and somewhere in between. It's not a deal breaker for me as I LOVE my ipad (but only *like* my iphone, meh), but I definitely notice the lack of flash on both devices. In a couple of years *IF* HTML5 takes over we might sing a different tune, but for the moment I quite often encounter content that utilizes flash. Just today I couldn't access videos for engadgets review of the iphone 4! :rolleyes:

It's difficult to have "discussions" on internet forums. More often you better have the same mentality as the type of forum you are visiting. There was an interesting study the other day which made its way thru the blogs about peoples need to defend what they purchase. Me, I don't care if I use a PC or a Mac, if I use an iphone or Droid, etc etc., I just try and get what works best for my needs. Yes I'm an oddball, I run Win7 on my Macbook Air, I love my ipad, I will probably switch to a miniX10 for a small Android phone, etc etc. I just use what works, and what doesn't I get rid of.

22. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Why is it arrogant for Steve Jobs to say that he doesn't think Flash works well enough to allow it on the iPhone? Why do some people think they have a right to have Flash on the iPhone? It's a piece of consumer electronics hardware, not an article in the Bill of Rights. Don't buy one if you don't like it.

And if this isn't a rant, what is it? Certainly a pointless post at the very least.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is not a reply.

24. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Oh! Thar it iz!

[​IMG]

25. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

If Steve Jobs says flash is no good in mobile devices then it's no good end of, whoever argues it is just plane dumb, apple I think know a bit better than everyone else