Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
its funny because before they came out with the new imac I thought, "why don't they put glossy screens in desktops, or at least give an option". I guess my question was answered. :D

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I'm 100% with you there. We have a design firm and are hiring a new designer - we were going to get a new iMac for them to use but now probably won't all due to the glossy screen. It's not at all good for the office (windows / glare) and just eyestrain when you try and work 8 hours a day on it. It's a shame. We'll have to try and pick up one of the 'old' iMacs instead or maybe some other option. I know of plenty of design / web firms around that use iMacs and I think that entire sector will have issues with the new glossy screen iMacs. Silly if you think about it since the Mac survived a long time due to it's foothold in the creative sector.

Hi, one3.

I sent you a private message with a question about the iMac.

:apple:

Antares

macrumors 68000
Aren't most CRT monitors "glossy" i.e. glass? Haven't we used those for decades? Why is gloss suddenly an issue with people now? If gloss didn't provide benefits, Apple wouldn't have switched..and gloss screens on laptops wouldn't have gained so much popularity if it didn't provide much viewing benefit....

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Aren't most CRT monitors "glossy" i.e. glass? Haven't we used those for decades? Why is gloss suddenly an issue with people now? If gloss didn't provide benefits, Apple wouldn't have switched..and gloss screens on laptops wouldn't have gained so much popularity if it didn't provide much viewing benefit....

So you are saying that because we used them for years we should take a step back? I guess we should go back to using salt to keep meat fresh too since that was done for awhile. Or how about horse and carriage, we don't need cars...

Anyway. The benefits glossy provides are over saturated colors that are not natural, which people love, which seemingly allows Apple to use cheaper panels.

And, glossy screens are not popular. Most people don't like them. But guess what, if you want to buy a Macbook what choice do they have? You can look at it either way of course, maybe so many buy because they like it. Or maybe they buy it because they have no choice, and that data is them manipulated to show that people like glossy.

Without a choice, it is really hard to tell. Same thing now applies with the iMac.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003

Sorry, but this makes no sense. There was no LCD then and I thought that one of the good things about this new technology was getting rid of glare. Back in those days however I used an antireflective screen placed in front of the monitor. Ugly, but did its work.

NintendoFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Massachusetts
And, glossy screens are not popular. Most people don't like them. But guess what, if you want to buy a Macbook what choice do they have? You can look at it either way of course, maybe so many buy because they like it. Or maybe they buy it because they have no choice, and that data is them manipulated to show that people like glossy.

You know, I really wonder about that. The only "real" way for Apple to know that people want them are by the people requesting them over the matte on the MacBook Pro. Other then that it's really only word of mouth.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Aren't most CRT monitors "glossy" i.e. glass? Haven't we used those for decades? Why is gloss suddenly an issue with people now?

Didn't people use typewriters for decades to why don't we go back to those? the reason why it is an issue now is that there is another option, but not on a Mac, that and most CRTs had coatings to reduce glare, at least the iMac G3 that I have in my room has much less glare than the new iMacs that I looked at.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
what are you talking about? you sound like you want to start a fight or something
I'm talking about you. I'm voicing legitimate concerns about what a poor decision it is for Apple to go all glossy on the iMacs. (It is the topic of this thread is it not?) And your response (more than once) has been "get a Dell if you don't like it."

I've used Macs for 18 years. Buying a Dell is not a viable option because all my software is for Macs.

In all the time I've used Macs and followed Apple, Apple switching to glossy screens on the MacBook and the iMac are the poorest moves I've seen. So, I'm voicing my opinion in a forum thread opened for that purpose.

You sound like a salesman for Dell. What gives?

great-dane

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
third-party (or apple, for that matter...)

Since the lcd itself is not glossy or attached the the glass surface, I'm wondering how hard it would be to manufacture/sell (third-party co. or apple) either a plastic border to cover up the mess of detaching the glass - or some matte plastic alternative to the glossy, reflective glass...

For me (as a graphic designer and image editor) the glossy screen IS a deal breaker.

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
i agree that the glossy may not be the best choice..but for them to make a matte version they would have to get rid of a major design element of the new imac.

the whole silicon black section and the screen is covered in glass. for them to create a matte version..it will destroy the aesthetics of the imac. it wont look like a seamless piece of machinery if a matte screen is shoved in there.

also..does anyone know the recyclability/environmental impact of the matte screen versus the glossy screen?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
1046920357_24d4012531_o.jpg

1047772942_cb5d271ddd_o.jpg

These photos prove that the Glossy is still bearable under direct sunlight.

Edit: If you're doing extremely serious print/design projects, you should probably be checking your colors with PANTONE formula guides and Pre-press color proofs. It's one of many ways to assure a consistent print job.
Only if u are trying to make solid color proofs, try to edit a "sky" in a pic or anything that combines more than 2 colors and your... toast! Not that its right to make color editing on a laptop but why not have the opportunity to do so when available and your eizo display isnt around! Glossy should only be used in non pro Macs, ofcourse not sure if the new iMac is for pros or not yet... the aluminium cover really mixes me up! :D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Perphas in a few weeks or so apple with give the option of the screen kind of like they did with the MBPs but in reverse.

Nope not gonna happen. Its not a glossy screen but technically a matte screen enclosed in glass. Unless you want them to get rid of the glass all together i dont see your wishes happening

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
i got my 24" today.

and i have to say, this thread is a complete waste of time.
my plasma tv is more glossy than the imac.

[sarcasm]oh, how will i live? i get headaches after 5 minutes of watching tv. how will i ever cope with a screen that's not as glossy and not as big???[/sarcasm]

seriously.:rolleyes:
So do u do any image editing on your plasma? or work on it for 12hrs a day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.