One thing I miss in Safari: undo close tab

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tommie Montana, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Tommie Montana macrumors member

Hi all, I've recently bought an iMac, made the switch from Windows, and there's really just one thing missing in Safari that Opera has. If you close a tab in Opera that you want back you just hit command-z and it's back, including whatever you may have typed there. Very handy if you like me hit command-w a lot and sometimes hit it a bit too fast.

Since I'm new to Mac maybe there is a way to get this in Safari that I don't know of?

To not be all negative, something I haven't found in Opera that Safari has is moving left and right through tabs by hitting the keys that have . and ; to go left, and / and : to go right (using the new iMac azerty-keyboard). In Opera I hace to Option-Tab, which is just slightly more demanding.

I hope someone can help, or otherwise that a developer reads this and implements it in a next version of Safari.

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well amazingly, look what this search in google turned up!

safari undo close tab.

My gods! Imagine if you had just typed what you wanted into google!

3. Tommie Montana thread starter macrumors member

You don't have to be so sarcastic, and I should have looked more, but isn't this why there are forums?

Anyway, I knew Saft did this, but I don't want to pay for something that another app does for free. However, I found Forgetmenot, which seems to do the trick, or at least that's what it says, I haven't restarted yet. If it doesn't I'll be back for some more stupid questions.

So thanks for pushing me to Google, I'm going to restart and try it out.

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You don't have to be so lazy

Forums are there for people who have problems that can't be fixed by doing a quick google search.

Helping you means that someone who actually needs help, someone who by the way has probably done their homework, might not get all the help they need.

Or you could do more google searching!

Didn't apple-z work?

5. giyad macrumors regular

download Safari 3 beta. It has "Reopen last closed window" and "Reopen all windows from last session." Its in Menu>History

6. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Command -z isn't just useful in Safari, either. It's my favorite shortcut for a reason.:D

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

TBi, chill TFO. :rolleyes: Everyone was new once and everyone has asked a question which might have been found on google. No need to be snarky.

To the OP, Firefox has an undo close tab too, just in case you weren't aware of it.

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I am chilled. I just detest laziness.

I'll gladly help anyone out who has a question or problem that a SIMPLE google seach cannot answer.

It's nice to know a person at least tries to find an answer rather than expecting other people to give up their time to find them the answer while they go play games (or something).

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I can understand that. No need to go for the jugular though, that's all I'm saying.

10. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I'd like to note that Saft rocks not only because of undoing closed tabs but it saves all your windows and tabs when you either quit or if safari crashes (damn you bank website!). And I usually have a shaq-ton of tabs open at any given time.

11. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Agreed. Where is the love?

Welcome to MacRumors Tommie Montana ;)

12. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Does anyone else see the irony that the 4th result in that search is this thread? :D

13. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

:D that's classic.

14. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'm missing something here...

*Shares the love

Yes welcome! Stop being so lazy :D

You're right, it just really bugs me sometimes! I should say look on google in a nicer way though.

Is it ok if i go for the ankle though?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've actually found that more and more recently... often on the same day that the thread is posted. It's amazing to me that Google can be that fast.

16. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

The fourth search result is this thread... the power of Google eh ;)

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You know i saw that too. Damn god i'm slow :D

In a rush though. Things to do and heavily distracted :D

18. Tommie Montana thread starter macrumors member

OK, first: I'm really not that lazy, I did check lots of plugins for Safari before, just not through Google, through Pimpmysafari I think. I've learned my lesson, instead of searching through sites like that I'll just Google.

Second: thanks for the welcome, from now on I'll start trying to help instead of stealing everyone's precious time on Mac forums. Actually I have already tried helping people before asking this question, if it worked is another thing.

A few remarks: I am using Safari 3 beta, and command (or apple)-z did not work. I know Firefox from my Windows laptop but on my iMac Safari works just as good, with less plugins. And Opera is more to my liking anyway.

Last but not least, to TBi: no hard feelings, every once in a while it is good to be told that you're lazy and should research first (which I did, just not good enough). It's a good thing that this is the only problem that I asked help for.

19. giyad macrumors regular

Hey, don't use command -z, click on history and Reopen all windows from last session. Even if it crashes, everything is restored. Unless you set your preferences to erase the history whenever you close safari...

20. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Just remember if you ever have a problem that google can't solve then i'll be happy to help out!

EDIT: To be clearer on that. I'll be happy to help if you at least show that you have done something. The best thing about that is that we then know what not to recommend as you've already tried it and we can work on getting you the answer for what you need!

21. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I doubt there is any related problem Google can't solve. We really have no need for a forum. We should let MacRumors know, so they can shut this place down and quit wasting your time.

22. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Yes great idea... too bad nearly all the answers google finds for you are from forums. Then you wouldn't have all those lovely answers and then someone would have to make a forum where people could discuss these problems and find the answer.

My point has always been that someone might have figured it out already so why not search for it. There are lots of questions which are unique and NEED a forum to get the answer, but once this answer is found others can find it and use it to their needs. If it doesn't suit their needs then it is put to the forum to solve the issue.

Why re-invent the wheel as they say!

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

You see, that's the beauty of it. There are so many other forums out there, that I'm sure there is plenty of duplicate content.

Perhaps you'd be willing to spend some time searching all the Mac forums out there for duplicate content and Emailing the Webmasters to let them know what they can delete. This way we wouldn't have to live through the debilitating pain that comes along with somebody asking a question that may have been answered somewhere, sometime, before.

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

What does existing duplicate content have to do with people asking new questions? That argument really doesn't make sense.

EDIT: One of those quotes shouldn't have been here.

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I suspect it was heavy doody sarcasm. :p

Aaaaanyway, moving on...