One Week with the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoblaed, Nov 10, 2017.

1. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Forum sites like this have a tendency to lean to the negative. It's natural; people that are upset or disappointed are more motivated to share their frustrations, while people that are happy have a tendency to be happy quietly. I wanted to share my positive perspective, which I imagine is shared by many, in an effort to show that, contrary to what one might infer if all they read were macrumors forums, this phone is not a notch-infested, buggy, unstable money sink. It's actually quite incredible.

I got my 256GB Silver X early launch morning. For reference, I've upgraded every year since the original (original iPhone, 3G (white), 3GS (white), 4 (black), 4S (black), 5 (grey), 5S (grey), 6 Plus (grey) 6S Plus (grey), 7 Plus (matte black), X (silver)).

A week into it and this phone is still amazing.

In no particular order:

FaceID works faster and better than I thought it would and I love it
    Once you get past the instinct of waiting for the padlock animation to happen before you swipe up (ie. you swipe up as soon as the screen lights up), FaceID is very fast and can even rival TouchIDv2 at times.

It's integrated throughout the system. Here, it surpasses TouchID. Opening my banking/investment apps is now seamless -- FaceID auto-authenticates without me having to do a thing. iTunes/App Store purchases, same thing. If an app/site is asking for a username/password that's in your keychain, FaceID will auto-authenticate and fill in the blanks for you. The auto-screen-lock functionality will not auto-lock the screen if you are actively looking at the screen (this is so nice). When your alarm goes off, once the phone detects you looking at the screen, it will still prompt you for snooze/stop, but it will dramatically quiet the alarm sound (a nice touch).

My polarized Maui Jim sunglasses don't interfere with FaceID. Neither does full sun, partial sun/shade, shifting sun/shade (eg. in a moving vehicle), etc.

The all-screen OLED display is a thing of magnificent beauty
    No other device in the world has this display. There are other devices that have OLED, of course, but this specific screen was custom made according to Apple's specifications and has dramatically reduced off-axis blue-shift, burn-in, etc. It's also the brightest full screen OLED display. (see: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/06/displaymate-iphone-x-display/ : "iPhone X matched or set new smartphone display records in the following categories: highest absolute color accuracy, highest full screen brightness for OLED smartphones, highest full screen contrast rating in ambient light, and highest contrast ratio. It also had the lowest screen reflectance and smallest brightness variation with a viewing angle.")

The X has double the touch sample rate (120hz vs 60hz) of the other iPhone models. This means it reacts faster and smoother to your touch. It adds to the silkiness of the interface in a subtle, under-the-covers way that simply makes it feel more premium.

The enhanced resolution, the amazing OLED display (with the true black that only 'off' pixels can provide), the all-screen immersion ... it's an entirely different user experience.

Color/Design
    Up until a week ago, the matte black of the 7-era phones was hands down my favorite color/look for an iPhone. Of course this is subjective. The Silver X rivals it, IMO. It's sleek, sexy, and classy. I love looking at it and it's a joy to hold. (I never put cases on my phones)

Gesture-based interaction
    Taking away the button and the huge chin/forehead of the iPhone has made this, at least for me, the most 'personal' feeling interface. Everything is a smooth, organic set of gestures that aren't interrupted by clicking off the screen somewhere. It's a nuanced difference, to be sure, but one I find myself enjoying tremendously.

Improved optics/camera
    OIS on both rear cameras? Portrait mode on the front camera? On top of all the other improvements that went into this year's batch of iPhones? Sensational photos and videos are the result.

This reviewer, https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/31/review-the-iphone-x-goes-to-disneyland/, who has in the past taken new iPhone models for a day at Disneyland to put the phone through it's paces the way we all would, and take the kinds of pics we'd all end up taking, found the X to be much improved over the 7, with even noticeable improvements over the 8/8Plus. I take a lot of pictures and videos and can likewise appreciate this bump in specs and functionality.

Wireless Charging
    Yes, I know other manufacturers have had this for a long time and the 8/8Plus have it as well. That doesn't detract from the added convenience of being able to wirelessly charge my X. Not having to worry about grabbing the cable, plugging it in ... and then unplugging it when I want to leave my desk is a quality-of-life issue I didn't realize I'd enjoy so much.

So, a week into it and I'm still loving this phone as much as the day I bought it. It's gorgeous in design, the display is amazing, and the tech behind FaceID and the all-gesture interface is spot on.

Bravo, Apple.

2. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

3. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

I concur with your entire post! The wireless charging is a nice feature, it is a convenient place to park the phone and pick up a few joules! Now I rarely go below 80%, but then again I am retired. If I had an office job, I would get another one for there and park the phone on it. No hassle with cords.

4. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Hard to tell objectively at this point as I've been using it a bit more heavily than I was previously using my 7 Plus as I'm constantly testing out features, playing with it more, etc. My perception is that the battery on the 7 Plus lasted a little longer... but only a little. And that thing was a battery beast.

So far, I've been happy with battery performance on my X.

5. Mikeeee macrumors regular

Mikeeee

The battery life is not good. Comparing it to the 8+ I would end the day with the phone at 50%. I'm having a challenge getting the X through a whole day without having to recharge. Exact same setup.

6. LD Curb macrumors regular

LD Curb

Battery life has been good for me. Just checking today ... started at 100% 6 hours ago and its at 98% now.

7. Diorama macrumors 6502a

It’s great actually.

8. techishi macrumors member

I agree with all your points. I wanted to write a post like this but you beat me to it!

I feel like FaceID gets better day by day. It seems to really be learning with each successful capture.

I also have the silver and think it's extremely striking. Definitely understand why most reviewers were seeded that color.

Honestly, it maybe took me a day to get used to the gestures. I feel spoiled now and the home button feels archaic. One less point of mechanical failure.

Going into buying this phone, I really didn't care about the wireless charging too much. I figured I wouldn't either bother. But I bit the bullet and bought a stand charger for work. It really is super convenient.

Overall, couldn't be happier coming from a 6s!

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

So you have had it on standby for 6 hours? :D

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

These two posts just goes to show you the contradictions how everybody will have different battery life experiences.Battery life is highly subjective, depending on Settings, applications, usage and over all how much their phone is used throughout the day.

11. dstew201 macrumors 6502

dstew201

I love the fact that i can charge my phone and not have to worry about scuffing up the bottom while inserting the lighting cable all the time!

Although I had minor nicks with the matte black 7+, it still annoyed me!!

12. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

You are so 100% correct. I cringe when people start sharing screen shots of usage times in correlation to battery % remaining. If any of us wanted, we could start at 100%, turn on low power mode, play Spotify with the screen dimmed all the way down, and show a screenshot that would make most drool. Especially if we show a Last 7 Days view that wouldn't show Spotify skewing the percentages. Point being, as you say, it's highly subjective.

13. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

I like everything about it

1) wireless charging
    2) face ID
    3) snappy performance
    4) smallish size

It's a decent phone. The wireless charging, I didn't think I'd like so much. I was hoping, but you never know.

(note:Wireless in a way, makes fast charging less important, which is a win/win). I have a cheap low power wireless charger, that actually does the trick quite well, and isn't all that slow...just a heads up for those who may think the need a fast charge.

14. haqsha23 macrumors 6502

haqsha23

The only 2 things I want are a bigger screen and a different color. I would absolutely go nuts for a Jet black glass back and a stainless steel band... Also gold.

15. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

16. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

Thanks for the nicely laid out review. I agree with everything...my only problem is I miss the screen size of my 7+

17. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

At times i was able to go beyond one day...maybe 1.5 days due not using as much when i’m busy with stuff.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Compared to the base 7 it is pretty good.

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Mine hasn't been that bad, would end day on 8+ probably 30%, now 10% on the X.

20. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

TedJustAdmitit

I have yet to get Face ID to work in the morning when I wake up. What is it about my face that my X hates it so much in the morning?

21. Melinn, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Melinn macrumors newbie

Well maybe it's not about finding flaws. And more about one feeling concerne even about small stuff because of how expensive the phone is. Also one tend to be concerned that even small problems maybe will grow over time and feel panic over that. For ex the speaker crackeling on high volums, is in my opinion not acceptable for a device this expensive!

22. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I like this phone more the more I use it.

There are a few niggly things that I hope they improve on, like the control center and multitasking gestures, but otherwise, I really love it!

23. applewatch macrumors 6502

applewatch

Ahh, so you've been using it as a paperweight today? :p

24. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I am with you all the way including having a beautiful flagship silver 256 GB. The silver is absolutely a stand out color. I chose silver because space gray have pretty similar look to jet black, which is okay, but not stand out in the crowd because the black shinny color is pretty common color for cell phones.

Kudos to Apple for designing the most gorgeous design with advanced technology. Touch ID is the past technology. Face ID is awesome. Just look at the phone and it unlocks without having to touch it. Brilliant!! Other new technology come with it is refreshing.

The size is perfect for pant and short pocket with the large perfect screen size and iPhone plus power (RAM and battery). I chose the plus from 6, 6s to 7s because of more RAM, screen size and power. However, plus is too bulky for front pant pocket and too big for shirt pocket. I never put my phone on back pant pocket as it is not comfortable and could forget to take it out when sitting down.

I have been admiring the phone every single day since the launch.

I plan to keep this phone for a while unless the 512 GB size comes. X plus type might be considered if it comes with 512 GB. Otherwise, the phone is good for a while.

25. big samm macrumors 65816

I love the phone its not perfect but still love it like the first day i got it.
    Only thing that bothers me is the waiting game for the apps to get updated... For now the experience is a bit inconsistent between apps that take the whole screen vs the ones that don’t. Like others said i miss the screen size of my 6+, 6S+ 7+ Ill get used to it im sure!