Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Is root and custom Recovery available the for the OP5 yet ? Gotta install Lineage 14.1 A.S.A.P. if I had the phone.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I just came back from the Pop up Store here in Amsterdam. Still tons of people waiting line when I arrived (too late :D:D) and they had only 110 of the 64Gb models and 110 of the 64Gb models. I came really too late at the Store. People were already send away from the Store.
My guess is that at least 80 to 100 people went home without a device

I think having 220 devices in total for a special event like this, is a total joke.

Too bad, maybe I order one later this week

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Some sample pics, really quick snaps with automatic settings. I'll be experimenting with the settings much more during the weekend.

Attachments

• OP5_1.jpg
    OP5_1.jpg
    744.6 KB · Views: 118
  • OP5_2.jpg
    OP5_2.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 126
  • OP5_3.jpg
    OP5_3.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 130

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
lol I always assumed America was just the oddballs like how we use the imperial system

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Wow, this thing is snappy indeed! Everything happens straight away. I'll post some sample pics soon.

Yeah basically all the reviewers are commenting how fast and fluid it is, on par with the pixel. 835/8gb on a 1080 screen. Wonder how much ram is free? I'm sure MRU would like to know lol

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah basically all the reviewers are commenting how fast and fluid it is, on par with the pixel. 835/8gb on a 1080 screen. Wonder how much ram is free? I'm sure MRU would like to know lol

Yeah not so much how much is free. But what 'governor' for ram OnePlus are utilising. Likewise are the 6gb & 8gb versions utilising different governors - XDA members seem to be suggesting that they share the same governor which if true, means the extra ram in the 8gb version is utterly redundant because unless someone modifies the build.prop it will never ever utilise that ram. It's looking from early signs that the hardware identifies itself as the same - so there is only one governor in play.

Also the query is whether the governor has been raised from its value of 42 which the 3 has after it was raised from it's initial release of 20. At a value of 42 it still doesn't actually equate to allowing full usage of the 6gb in the 3/3T. 42 is the same governor the Pixel utilises and that has 4gb for example. Now of course there are still other factors such as Google utilise a harsher Doze which will jettison some apps after they have been unused for a certain length of time.

Regardless I am waiting with interest to see the XDA result as they tear apart oxygen OS and see what both the 5's utilise, if it turns out the two devices are utilising the same limit, there will be undoubtedly some kick back ... and if they are using the same governor as the 3/3T.

I am confident regardless it will handle memory way better than my S8 does at current which even after June security update hasn't improved for me. But likewise I hope it's a little better than the G6 & Pixel.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Samsungs memory management is atrocious, so a real comparison isn't even fair.

Build.prop is really easy edited if needed, but even then I really see no point in 8gb. Only if you game a lot, then it makes sense. 8gb would probably hold dozens of apps and 2-3 games in memory with ease.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsungs memory management is atrocious, so a real comparison isn't even fair.

The Strange thing is for me the Exynos S8 is really bad at managing it compared to my Exynos S7/S7e. It is better than the S6 - but that was truly atrocious.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The Strange thing is for me the Exynos S8 is really bad at managing it compared to my Exynos S7/S7e. It is better than the S6 - but that was truly atrocious.

I was using Note 5 for two weeks. And the performance was a joke compared to other android phones. For example, while I was browsing I've received a phone call. After the call, browser refreshed the website.

Only thing I will miss is samsung browser. Great browser. But every time I use a samsung device I get a great urge to break it in half :)

Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Much like the OP3 and it’s ‘bland’ design, after the dust settles for the OP5 with the ‘looks like an iPhone’ and benchmark fiddling it should be another solid device that most buyers will like and use. That the camera isn’t a step ahead of what was already available means I’ll pass unless I see a great deal - I’ve a OP3 that is all-round great as a backup for the £145 I paid.

I was reading about the incremental price bumps since the OPO (Bloomberg?) and the percentage relation between the OnePlus [whatever] and the corresponding flagships. Originally around 40% of the cost moving to around 55% now. Still a big price difference that will matter to a lot of people... more so than the absence of waterproofing and wireless charging.

The question is that by upping the price, are they leaving themselves open to being undercut by a ‘new’ OnePlus?

Reactions: widgeteer

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Much like the OP3 and it’s ‘bland’ design, after the dust settles for the OP5 with the ‘looks like an iPhone’ and benchmark fiddling it should be another solid device that most buyers will like and use. That the camera isn’t a step ahead of what was already available means I’ll pass unless I see a great deal - I’ve a OP3 that is all-round great as a backup for the £145 I paid.

I was reading about the incremental price bumps since the OPO (Bloomberg?) and the percentage relation between the OnePlus [whatever] and the corresponding flagships. Originally around 40% of the cost moving to around 55% now. Still a big price difference that will matter to a lot of people... more so than the absence of waterproofing and wireless charging.

The question is that by upping the price, are they leaving themselves open to being undercut by a ‘new’ OnePlus?
The pictures compared to the 7 Plus make it seem closer than it really is.

Watching videos of the phone its not as clear cut as the pictures would tell you. Its still close but not as bad as initially thought.

Reactions: spriter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.