Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Really curious about cdma needing to be retired seeing as gsm (say att for the most part in my experience) does a lousy job of penetrating a building.

I had to resort to Sprint in order to get text messages at work!

Project fi did a decent job in doors. Att was useless at times :confused:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Hopefully CDMA is retired ASAP. I think it’s ancient and useless tech compared to other GSM networks.

I don’t see a 5G OP6T coming out, so that’s why I said if they want Verizon people they may need to make a compatible model.
It's true, we won't see a 5G model (no one will have one until next year), but that doesn't mean we won't see a Gigabit capable 6T. 5G isn't needed for that. As long as the 6T gets Band 71 and the required modem, the 6T could be the fastest most capable phone on the T-Mo network.
[doublepost=1536208299][/doublepost]
Really curious about cdma needing to be retired seeing as gsm (say att for the most part in my experience) does a lousy job of penetrating a building.

I had to resort to Sprint in order to get text messages at work!

Project fi did a decent job in doors. Att was useless at times :confused:
CDMA and GSM is only used for some voice and text messaging these days on the older 2G/3G parts of the carrier networks. But, with any carrier, ymmv depending on location, tower upgrades/maintenance as everyone begins transitioning to 5G and the phone you use.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Isn't OnePlus 6's face unlock incredibly fast?

I've read/seen nothing but positive reviews of the face unlock feature.
[doublepost=1536179078][/doublepost]

@nviz22

What was the OnePlus security concern again? I remember briefly reading about it but not what the details were...

The bootloader was exposed to hackers like a simple backdoor.

Reactions: epicrayban

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Have they addressed this?

As the 6T looms, these are important questions to me.

They say they did via an update. However, I didn’t bother to find out if they actually did since I was done with the 6. Can’t trust that company after that is what I thought.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not sure if this is an official image or a render, but looks good and promising... and triple cameras with variable aperature?

https://phoneradar.com/here-is-the-...iple-rear-cameras-offering-variable-aperture/

EDIT. nevermind, looks like a bad photoshop job. The alert slider is missing in the "front view" of the phone but there on the "back view". I would imagine 3 cameras isn't going to happen. Regardless, definitely interested to follow this phone as it launches.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
They say they did via an update. However, I didn’t bother to find out if they actually did since I was done with the 6. Can’t trust that company after that is what I thought.
These sort of things were a concern to me as well, however, the One+ wasn't selling directly through US carriers. They didn't have to meet the hardware criteria and software checks to pass US standards. With this now in place, One+ can't risk doing nefarious things with their hardware or software, otherwise they risk to lose billions in lawsuits or outright banning by the US government. And ZTE can attest to how bad that can hurt.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
These sort of things were a concern to me as well, however, the One+ wasn't selling directly through US carriers. They didn't have to meet the hardware criteria and software checks to pass US standards. With this now in place, One+ can't risk doing nefarious things with their hardware or software, otherwise they risk to lose billions in lawsuits or outright banning by the US government. And ZTE can attest to how bad that can hurt.

I would hope that new standards can cut down on OP’s potential BS. However, I also don’t want T-Mobile in charge of updates because OP has the right recipe for software support and affordable flagship hardware.

Reactions: Wide opeN

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I would hope that new standards can cut down on OP’s potential BS. However, I also don’t want T-Mobile in charge of updates because OP has the right recipe for software support and affordable flagship hardware.

hopefully updates are still handled by OnePlus, much like the Pixel and Verizon.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
hopefully updates are still handled by OnePlus, much like the Pixel and Verizon.
Thank is my hope too! It would be great if carriers were cut out of the loop for security updates. This should work for most near stock OS phones.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Should be the case for all phones. Carriers are toxic for phone support.
I doubt this will be the case. US Carriers 'claim' that they have to be a middleman for security and OS updates to ensure that everything works on their networks. (Yet, somehow Apple and Google manage to do this?!?)

Reactions: jamezr

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It doesn't matter who controls the updates, because OP phones are easily updated no matter what. And easily rooted if you wish to do so. They even give source code to custom rom developers. That is one of the biggest reason why OP phones are so popular, especially on XDA. OP is the successor to Nexus devices, just way better then Nexus ever was.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It doesn't matter who controls the updates, because OP phones are easily updated no matter what. And easily rooted if you wish to do so. They even give source code to custom rom developers. That is one of the biggest reason why OP phones are so popular, especially on XDA. OP is the successor to Nexus devices, just way better then Nexus ever was.

Google hasn't made an aesthetically pleasing phone with metal or glass. It's a huge aesthetic mess from their end. Well, we all thought Samsung was putrid with the bandage S5 they had years ago. However, they make some of the most appealing phones on the market. Google can't treat the Pixel as a side project. It should be a legitimate contender for phone of the year each new iteration, especially since Google positioned it as a high end competitor phone.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I'm not sure if this is an official image or a render, but looks good and promising... and triple cameras with variable aperature?

https://phoneradar.com/here-is-the-...iple-rear-cameras-offering-variable-aperture/

EDIT. nevermind, looks like a bad photoshop job. The alert slider is missing in the "front view" of the phone but there on the "back view". I would imagine 3 cameras isn't going to happen. Regardless, definitely interested to follow this phone as it launches.
Uggh, cannot wait until this notch fad is over.
Looking forward to the cool stuff this phone is going to bring though.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
agreed...hopefully if OP phones are picked by carriers it won't have a locked bootloader like Verizon did to the Pixel

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I was watching some reviews of the one plus 6, specifically about the camera. I honestly thought that the one plus 6 camera was noticeably inferior to the pixel 2, s9 and iPhone X. After watching the reviews I am shocked at how comparable it is.

Camera is one of my top priorities for a phone. I can safely assume the 6t camera must be better or atleast on par. The camera was my only reservation with the one plus 6t. The pixel 3 or 6t are not out yet but I feel like I've already made up my mind to get the 6t.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's true, we won't see a 5G model (no one will have one until next year), but that doesn't mean we won't see a Gigabit capable 6T. 5G isn't needed for that. As long as the 6T gets Band 71 and the required modem, the 6T could be the fastest most capable phone on the T-Mo network.
[doublepost=1536208299][/doublepost]
CDMA and GSM is only used for some voice and text messaging these days on the older 2G/3G parts of the carrier networks. But, with any carrier, ymmv depending on location, tower upgrades/maintenance as everyone begins transitioning to 5G and the phone you use.

I think a lot of people are really playing up 5G just like they did with 4G and are going to be equally as disappointed.

Reactions: rbrian

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I think a lot of people are really playing up 5G just like they did with 4G and are going to be equally as disappointed.
5G is completely different. The amount of traffic you can have on 5G and the speeds it can produce, with such low latency is mind boggling.
The real world testing so far (not in lab settings) has shown us what’s coming next year.
Of course, there will be disappointment from ATT and Verizon users, as their 5G network wont be mobile based. They are concentrating their 5G network for in home use, to combat the likes of Cable companies. T-Mobile is building out 5G on the backbone of the 600mhz hardware being installed on all towers. Verizon/ATT will have faster speeds in home, but 4G/LTE speeds when you travel. T-Mobile will have slower 5G speeds in home compared to ATT/Verizon, but those ‘fast’ 5G speeds will be with you on the road. It’s a trade off, but I think the wiser move for T-Mo.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
Is it me or does the 6T feel like a bigger iteration over the 6? More so than any other OP "T" release?

I've been pretty unhappy with VZW lately. Maybe it's time to finally switch to tmo or ATT....

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
5G is completely different. The amount of traffic you can have on 5G and the speeds it can produce, with such low latency is mind boggling.
The real world testing so far (not in lab settings) has shown us what’s coming next year.
Of course, there will be disappointment from ATT and Verizon users, as their 5G network wont be mobile based. They are concentrating their 5G network for in home use, to combat the likes of Cable companies. T-Mobile is building out 5G on the backbone of the 600mhz hardware being installed on all towers. Verizon/ATT will have faster speeds in home, but 4G/LTE speeds when you travel. T-Mobile will have slower 5G speeds in home compared to ATT/Verizon, but those ‘fast’ 5G speeds will be with you on the road. It’s a trade off, but I think the wiser move for T-Mo.
Not to put you on the spot, does Sprint will disappear by the time 5G is out and under Tmobile umbrella?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.