Online and real life; shall the two ever meet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FelixTheMacCat, Apr 16, 2010.

1. FelixTheMacCat macrumors newbie

Have you ever thought about how it would be if the conversations here
    at macrumours where to take place over a cup of coffee or a beer?

Im a design student currently researching social medias affect on people.
    Specifically looking at the possibility to take online discussions offline.

So i'm asking you guys right here, would you be interested in meeting up
    fellow mac enthusiasts somewhere for a chat,
    by that i mean a proper face to face chat?
    (or maybe some of you already are?)

I understand that distance between users would be a big thing to overcome,
    but then again, a large forum like this is bound to have people from the same areas connecting.

A couple of years ago I was a regular at a very techie computer forum.
    There get-togethers were arranged, people attended and where very happy with that experience.
    Has the same thing been done here? why not? / how was it?

I'm really keen on hearing your thoughts regarding the social media
    explosion and how it affects real life relations.

Felix

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Yes and I'm on my way to your place to have a bite! ARRGH!

But seriously, no. However, check out the thread about EU iPad delays. Yesterday, we identified a guy. We were mocking him for using his iPad and MacBook in a cafe in Manchester. He replied. So I think it happens.

But there are several layers of this forum, like others. People send messages to each other. Sometimes, you can even see people acting like they know what the other is going to say/write.

3. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Heh, any girls ever came to these events from the other forum? :D

4. FelixTheMacCat thread starter macrumors newbie

haha thats a cool story, big brother sees you sort of thing.

From my experience being a forum junkie you after some time develop a relation to the other junkies on the site. You see there avatar and instantly you connect that to the characteristics you've built up for that person.

I dare to believe that this is a general behaviour on a forum. So if you got this connection with others, wouldn't it be worth taking it even further?

5. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

The 5th Annual Macrumors London Picnic 2010 ;)
    Never personally gone, but looks like a lot of fun.

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

8. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Have you found the thread? It has around 3500 posts, look for an image of a guy with a MacBook and an iPad in a cafe. It was posted in the last 48 hours.

Great stuff! You might ask them, how they went. Some of the guys might meet, purely due to the post.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I think it's much more common on a smaller forum, simply because with a limited number of posters you get to "know" people better. I've been on a small band forum for donkeys. Some people have met up. There's a poster who goes to uni in a town about an hour away from mine and is always going to the same sort of shows that I do. We'll run into one another soon enough, by chance or we'll plan to go together.

There're some of them I really wish lived closer, but I have a limit on how far I'll travel/spend to meet them all despite how fun they are to talk to online.

10. Quad SLi 295 macrumors member

Quad SLi 295

In Adelaide a number of my current friends I first got in contact with oncar and bike racing forums. Since the forums were effectively local, events were organized and people met up. We even started a small car club. www.toyotacarclub.net which is now 6 years only and continues to have a strong Offline presence and regular get-togthers. A community that started online has formed a registered business and FIA recognized car club (through CAMS Australia.)

The two worlds can definitely (ever been to a forum organized LAN party where you had to display your forum tag) meet.

But a meet and greet rarely works, best to organize an event and put on a beer or 2.

Jordan

11. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Lol I'am not sure.

12. FelixTheMacCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like people here has a pretty open approach towards engaging offline contact with online contacts.

What if there was a community based organization with the mission to help online communities to meet up in the flesh?
    The organisation would provide rooms for companies of all sizes and you would be able to buy drinks and lighter dishes of food.
    You think people would go for it? Would you?

Do you guys think that having say, a fortnightly get-together would be something people would find fun?

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Ha.... that was classic.

I've met up with another member already...... he was pretty cool, except he kept licking his finger and trying to touch my nose.:confused: I'm not really into that.

I don't know if I'd want to meet up with the OP though..... if he thinks he needs to change his font in his posts, god knows how he communicates in real life......

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This past weekend was the first time I've ever met someone from online IRL. It was great! Why? Because he was exactly who he presented himself to be online. People like to think that since the internet is "anonymous" (which it isn't, btw) that they can be whomever they would like. But, just like in meatspace, those who are genuine are the coolest to be around.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^ We should totally meet up at Becker's in Manhattan Beach for a sandwich!:p

jk..... but they do have great sandwiches.....

For real.... I have met up with another member and he was also exactly as he was online. I don't see the point in pretending to be someone you're not.

16. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I would be scared to meet half of the people in this forum in real life. :D

17. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I think they would be more scared about meeting you my friend :D

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I have found that there is a delicate duality between many peoples online and offline personae, some when uncovered tend to crawl into a shell from the shock of that duality shattering before them.

This leads to some minor damage to the ego in some cases--of course if the person has a preexisting multiple personality issue in such a case the exposure to ones self can be potentially devastating as it would be amplified.

Many of those exist specifically dedicated to the physical world meetings of all online social groups. the top one I can think of was one i remember called Meet Up

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Currently enrolled in Psych 101?

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't met any other MR users in real life. However, I play World of Warcraft a lot and last year about ten of my online friends all met up in California. It was great fun, if not a little expensive for me!

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If someone organized a meetup in New York I'd probably go. I met a guy from an online game I used to play and it turned out he was a nice person. We still keep in touch.

22. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

yeah i'd really be interested, some of the people here are very intelligent, we all share quite common interests and the humor here is also quite good :D though i am convinced i am the only MR member in the town i live in

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You could always meet up with people from different towns occasionally :)

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

With good reason. :D

25. tman07 macrumors regular

Im actually part of a N.E. Ohio based VW forum, and we try to meet up once every few weeks. Granted, an overwhelming percentage of the people live in North East Ohio, so its easy to just take a cruse to wherever we plan to meet that week. We have it set up so that the get-togethers are in different areas, and we vote on the venue.

I have had nothing but a great time when we meet up. Ive meet a few good friends through it, and plan on keeping communication with them.

Sites this large, however is a different story. Being from N.E. ohio, and the meets are usually in Chicago, LA, NY or some other big city hours from me, I am unable to go.

Maybe I helped a bit?