Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThinkIt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Florida, USA
have a 5... cant justify getting the s just to upgrade the camera.. the rest is just icing on the cake... will wait till the 6... :apple:

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I promised my daughter that she could have my iPhone 5 next friday evening so I am taking no chances. I will be queued outside the Apple store at 9pm on thursday....Jeez It had better not rain :(

Is your daughter Veruca Salt or something?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Regardless of people saying its stupid...
Where should I wait in line for the 5S?
Will a 24hr. Walmart be a good choice or will people flock there for the small discount?

Thanks!

Last time around, many people were waiting in line at the Apple stores while lots of others were walking into reseller shops and getting one immediately.

If I were you, I'd target a Radio Shack in some godforsaken suburban strip center.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
No doubt, the 5S is an outstanding phone, and it looks even better next to the 5C. Now I get it. Repackage the iPhone 5 into the 5C, and the iPhone 5S gets a visual boost too

Panthers545

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Corporate Discount issues

A few years ago when I bought the iPhone 3G I had an issue at the Apple Store where they couldn't activate the phone because I have a corporate discount on my AT&T account. After spending half the day in line I was told I needed to have the discount removed before buying the phone at the Apple Store. The only way to get the phone with the discount was to buy it directly from AT&T. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

Riverton

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
A few years ago when I bought the iPhone 3G I had an issue at the Apple Store where they couldn't activate the phone because I have a corporate discount on my AT&T account. After spending half the day in line I was told I needed to have the discount removed before buying the phone at the Apple Store. The only way to get the phone with the discount was to buy it directly from AT&T. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

I hope not because I have a corporate discount with my AT&T account as well. Hopefully they've fixed that issue since that was only the second generation iPhone.

DiscoMcDisco

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
London
You know what, after getting each iteration since the 3GS at launch, I think I'm going to sit this one out for a while. If the 6 has anything to do with larger screens I'll be ignoring it, by which point this will most likely be price cut to buggery.

I like buggered prices.

SDNikki

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Why not just order at 12:01? Then get it a few days later.

Because I will be out of the country a few days later :(
Which means I also cant have it delivered, and will probably be backordered by the time I return. I guess I will keep using my gimpy launch day 4 (dead sleep/wake and home buttons) WHICH I PREORDERED and hope it lasts a little while longer....

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I decided not to. I heard that Walmart doesn't activate the phone for you. Anyone know if this is true or not? If you have to activate when you get home, you won't get it activated right away because the longer the day goes on, the more flooded the activation servers are going to be.

I'd actually prefer not to get it activated by Walmart. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Are you brainwashed into thinking that people need to work monday-friday 9-5 to be a working member of society?

How about people who have taken a vacation at work to stand in line (that has been me in the past), project employed (also been me in the past - I have been paid for a 3 month project, and I can work my own hours to get the project done in 3 months). They could have weekend jobs where they work Fri night - Sunday...and numerous others.

To stereotype all people who are not working on a Tuesday 2:00 in the afternoon as losers is very naive. Most successful people vacation and take time off all the time, and only work in spurts.

Did you take time to read the part of the comment I was replying to? It was really short, so here it is again:

Although apparently at least at some stores there is already a line...

Or to make it even shorter for you:

already a line

You know, it's a week left.

This isn't people queuing for a movie or concert ticket, this would be people queuing for a week for something that would cost them at least $549.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

i had he same mentality, but i've been fed up with Verizon's slow 3G network and i can't take it anymore. i watched as the iPhone 5 64GBs selling price plummeted on eBay so i pounced on a like new iPhone 5, 64GB running iOS 6.1.2 that came with 2 cases, 2 cables, and 1 charger for $528. it was hard to find one that was running 6.1.2, so now i can jailbreak it and enable wifi tethering so i'll have complete unlimited LTE. i use 6-10GB per month on 3G so buying a phone with a subsidy and getting put on a tiered plan was out of the question

the only reason why i went from a 4S to a 5 was solely for LTE, and that's it. the 3G network is really hindering the functionality of my iPhone since Verizon is clearly purposefully crippling their 3G network either by throttling (which they say they are not throttling me and my account is not flagged) or by neglect and not keeping up with data usage of their 3G customers

in 2011 i got 2.5Mbps down / 1.75 Mbps up
in 2013 i get no more than 1Mbps down / 0.5Mbps up

i can barely stream Spotify

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

I'm on the 4S with Verizon. I'm sick of the slow 3G data speeds. I'm all over the 5S in gold with 64Gbyte

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wow. The excitement is brewing in here. You would never guess there's a new iPhone coming out. I wonder what it is.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Are you brainwashed into thinking that people need to work monday-friday 9-5 to be a working member of society?

You'd be surprised how many are still conditioned this way. What you are seeing is a social control mechanism that has been in effect for almost a hundred years started during the industrial revolution to keep lighting and heating costs of factories at a minimum.

To stereotype all people who are not working on a Tuesday 2:00 in the afternoon as losers is very naive. Most successful people vacation and take time off all the time, and only work in spurts.?

I totally agree here. After graduation from college, it was amazing how much "Why are you not working now?" lines I got from my family when I worked mostly in deadlines and project goals instead of the nine to five.

I even lost one fiancé over this as her family viewed me as "unstable and unreliable" while I was making more money on prospecting and contract projects instead of a steady union or office job.

One of my angel investors commented "A corral of geldings are uncomfortable around a wild stallion."

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
How difficult is it to cancel an online order with Apple?

If I order online at 12:01, but manage to track one down later in the day, will I be able to get it activated and just cancel the online order?

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
I bought my 64GB 4S at launch and want to hold out for a 6, but don't think I have enough self control to wait a full year to upgrade (would love to break out of the s purchasing cycle!). Might as well buy at launch then, yah?

I predict the 6 will be available at 128gb for $400. BARG!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.