Online Pricing Educational Requirements / Proof

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ducatiti, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

ducatiti macrumors 6502a

So I've read that they make random audits for these Educational Pricing purchases but do not ask for proof for the initial online purchase.

My question is that can I make a purchase under my name considering my Uncle currently works at UCSF. In case I get audited, can I provide them my Uncle's UCSF ID and/or .edu email address and not be further charged the full price?

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

2. brand, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

brand macrumors 601

brand

So you are asking for help to purchase something under false pretenses?

Just because your uncle works for a college in no way entitles you to the Apple Educational Pricing.

3. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

If you're currently a student, feel free to make a purchase. Otherwise it's a bit unethical. Why not just get him to purchase it and you can register it.

4. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

The past three systems (separate years) I purchased in-store are through this mentioned Uncle. He basically showed his I.D. and we were good to go.

I would like to check if this is also valid if I did it online because I do not see anything that says that a relative can provide the proof. It says a parent can purchase it for a child though.

I just don't want to avail the discount now and charged the difference in case I get audited in the future.

5. mdapple macrumors regular

Don't listen to any of these two-faced hypocritical apple fanboys. Plenty of people have purchased at education pricing with no connection to a university or school whatsoever. Apple doesn't care, because if they did they would make you submit ID before even allowing you to purchase.

6. Purple2012 macrumors member

Best Buy didn't have me show my student ID.....

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Just better hope they don't caught by one of the random audits.

8. a3vr macrumors member

More like I hope they do. Buying something through the educational program when you don't meet the requirements is wrong. Period. No excuses.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I absolutely agree.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

Just get your uncle to order it for you.
    Although I do not work as a teacher or lecturer, and am not a student, I do work in the education industry supporting IT networks. I just contacted Apple via online chat to ensure I was eligible. They said I was so I ordered online via the education store. I wasn't checked.
    It's when you are trying to get away with something you shouldn't be, sods law says you'll get randomly checked! Lol

11. Funkenstein macrumors regular

Agreed. It would be the same as posing as a serviceman to get a military discount in my book.

12. mdapple macrumors regular

lol you guys are taking it way too seriously. If people were as righteous as you kool aid drinking apple fanboys the american legal system would fall apart.

1) If your a student, go buy with edu discount.

2) If your not, say it is a gift for someone who is a student.

Apple doesn't care because either way its a sale and their profit margin is outrageous.

13. spdntrxi macrumors regular

Yep...

14. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

What's with the name calling? People are not "kool air drinking apple fanboys" because they believe in following the rules. And the amount of money Apple (or any company) makes has no bearing on something like this, so give it a rest. To be honest, yes, the OP probably could get away with it. But that's not what the educational discount is there for. If Apple does do a random audit (and I have no idea if they actually do) then providing his uncle's ID as his own is fraud.

OP, if it's something you're worried about getting caught for, then the best choice is probably to just not do it.

15. trikky macrumors regular

Your uncle can order the computer.

If you don't fall into any of the categories outlined for educational pricing, you are not eligible to purchase under educational pricing.

Just wait until it comes available in the refurb store and you could save about as much as ordering under the edu store.

Oh...and they do do audits, by the way. I have ordered some items under edu pricing and was contacted several weeks afterward for verification. I qualified, by the way.

16. mdapple macrumors regular

I went to an apple store to buy a macbook and the employee said "technically I'm supposed to see a student ID, but you know..." and that was the end of our discussion before I paid and left the store.

If the employees don't even give a hoot then yes, some kids on macrumors ARE "kool aid drinking apple fanboys" and they surely don't make it hard for us to spot them ;)

Edit: I am a student btw. haha

17. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

And you better not jaywalk or take the tags off your mattress either. Oh, and don't forget to take your vitamins and drink your milk!

18. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

It's pretty unfortunate that you have to resort to such strong language over something that doesn't really need it. Education discounts (just like military and other discounts) are in place for those that meet eligiblity. Just because "plenty of people" abuse that certainly doesn't mean it's ok. Not sure how that's subject to interpretation.

19. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I can do that but I want this transaction under my name and to be shipped to me, not my uncle, for personal reasons :) If the Apple Store honors my method of availing the student discount, shouldn't it be OK for an online purchase as well?

20. brand macrumors 601

brand

Why don't you call Apple and directly ask if it would be OK if you fraudulently abuse the Educational Discount put in place for students, faculty, and staff?

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

People talk about random audits, but I've never seen a post from someone who had it happen.

I can confirm they also don't enforce the one laptop per year rule.

I'm not going to tell you to order through the edu store. I'm not going to tell you not to.

I am going to tell you though that you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than you do of Apple coming after you if you do and anyone telling you otherwise thinks honesty only applies to what you do and not to what they say.

22. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

Honestly, they probably wouldn't care nearly as much as you do. Hell, I bet that if you walked into an apple store and told them you could get your brother/sister/aunt/cousin to buy you a mac under the student discount, but that you would rather buy it yourself for convenience purposes, they would let you do it. I bet that happens every single day in apple stores all over the world.

Apple knows full well that not everyone who uses the educational discount is technically eligible. It's a marketing gimmick. If they cared at all, they would require ID before the purchase is made.

23. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It is an abuse of system. End of story. Justify how ever you wish.

24. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

These threads always turn into moral bickering.

I don't believe in stealing digital media for a second. It's written in the U.S copyright protection law. But this? This is not written into any government law. This is Apple's own policy and it's flawed to begin with, because they simply don't check or reinforce it.

In fact it's so weakly maintained that you don't even have to find any loopholes or backdoor. You simply find a school on the Apple store website and use it. And all these audits people talk about? I've purchased about a dozen Macs and about half of those I was actually in school for and I've never ever been audited. Ever. In fact, a few years ago when shopping for a Mac on their online store, chatting with one of their online reps, she basically hinted me to use the student discount, without even asking if I was a student or teacher.

I don't agree that this is "wrong, and you shouldn't do it". There's a lot more to be worried about in the world about being wrong. This is not one of them.

25. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

OP, if you're really that concerned about it, just call Apple. They're the ones that can give an official answer. Why not just go to the source and stop guessing or making assumptions? All of these questions of "What will Apple do if I do this? Is this ok?" are silly. If you want to know, act like an adult and make a phone call to the people that can tell you for sure. Or are you afraid they'll just tell you that you can't do it?