only 2 cds with new macbooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bob2131, Aug 13, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi
    my new macbook today.
    it came with 2 cds.....this is leopard i assume.

but what about all the other apps etc. ...like iLife etc that comes bundled with the macbook? willl they just be pre-installed???

but say if i wanna reformat sometime, and then i wont be able to get those extra apps??

cheers

2cds only? i would have thought it came on multiple DVD's, leopard and all the other apps.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You have a Restore Disc that contains the OS and all included software. The other should be a Hardware Test Disc, iLife, or an OS Installer. Read what is on the label to find out.

They are not CDs either, they are likely DVDs, as Leopard is on a dual-layer DVD.

TEG

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

iLife is on the second disc. The 2 discs include 10.5 and the extra software, what more should there be?
    If you look at the discs in Disk Utility you'll see they are both DVDs

4. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

All the software that came with your MacBook is contained on those two restore DVD's. If you use them to restore or reinstall your machine it will go back to the shipped from the factory state.
    Years ago Apple Shipped multiple CD's for all of the apps, but then integrated them into the two discs.:apple:
    Edit: beaten.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks people.

they do say "CD" on them tho.

but i havnt switched on the macbook yet. just recharging at moment.

and they are not dual layer.....as on one side its just a printed label thing....

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No they don't. They say "Install Disc"

facepalm.gif

7. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so waht does dual layer mean???
    i thought dual layer discs, you put in the drive, and then take out and turn upside down, and put back in.......like the data is stored on BOTH sides of disc.....................right?

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

no, that's double sided.

9. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

windows xp comes on dvd im sure.......it takes like 7gb hard drive space.
    they probly are dvds, ill check them when i get chance.

would i have to do any updates etc???

when operatin system updates happen, are they free???
    or you gotta pay for them??

10. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

leopard is on dual layer dvd?

so what does dual layer mean?

is the optical drive or the actual disc specification?

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, you will have to do updates, they are free.

"A Dual Layer disc differs from its usual DVD counterpart by employing a second physical layer within the disc itself. The drive with Dual Layer capability accesses the second layer by shining the laser through the first semi-transparent layer. The layer change can exhibit a noticeable pause in some DVD players, up to several seconds.[15] This caused some viewers to worry that their dual layer discs were damaged or defective, with the end result that studios began listing a standard message explaining the dual layer pausing effect on all dual layer disc packaging.

DVD recordable discs supporting this technology are backward compatible with some existing DVD players and DVD-ROM drives.[14] Many current DVD recorders support dual-layer technology, and the price is now comparable to that of single-layer drives, though the blank media remains more expensive. The recording speeds reached by dual-layer media are still well below those of single-layer media."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Dual_layer_recording

12. Rayslav macrumors newbie

Rayslav

dual layer

dual layer refers to optical media that contain two layers on a single side in order to double or nearly double the storage capacity.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ when you reinstall the whole OS using the 2 DVDs (DL), you get 10.5.0 if I'm not mistaken. You have to download the updates (10.5.x) from the software update software located in the :apple: > software update.

Any system update containing the 10.5.x series will be free, but the new OS that's due in a about a year or so (10.6) you will have to pay for. In short, anything 10.5.x will be free, anything else needs the benjamins.

Leopard is on a dual layer DVD, which means TWO layers on the DVD itself. I have a regular 4.75GB DVD disc, but with dual layer, I have TWO regular DVD discs in one, DUAL layers, two layeres, dos layer, I honestly don't know how to iterate it any further. Twice the storage space, capacity, etc.

The combo drive can only read DVDs (including dual layer) but not write DVDs. Just play/write CDs, only play DVDs. The super drive can write/read both CDs and DVDs.

Hope that clears everything up...

14. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so dual layer dvd is the equivalent of 2 dvds? the storage capacity.....

so a dual layer dvd, is still just on one side(the data)? and on the otehr is the printed lable? (so no need to swith and turn over)

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Looking at your posting history, you said you got your MacBook on Monday and have been using it for different things ... but now you haven't switched it on yet?

16. Rayslav macrumors newbie

Rayslav

Correct

17. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah thats nice....i get it....thankyou.
    so the drives automatically read the second layer? or do you have to point it in the right direction?

can superdrive write dual layer dvd disc?

wow, taht dual layer things is amazing. i had no idea.

so dual layer is the same as those multi-side dvd discs?

i have lethal weapon 4 on dvd........and i have to turn the dvd disc over.

18. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i got it this morning, wed morning.
    i never said otherwise.
    i havent swithced it on yet.
    posting history? lol
    you doing a backround check on me.

19. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A Dual-Layer DVD is about 9.5 GB, a regular DVD is about 4.9 GB, a Dual-Sided DVD is 4.9GB per side, and they do have Dual-Layer Dual-Sided DVDs which have 9.5GB on each side.

New Superdrives can burn DL disks (Either + or - R).

TEG

20. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

holy smoke.

where have i been.

how about dual layer CD's?

21. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so the drives automatically read the second layer? or do you have to point it in the right direction?

when i explore and look at the leopard disc, how do i tell if its dual layer?
    and how do i get to look inside the second layer?

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

you dont.. its blocked by the first layer. ;)

23. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

what?

24. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

It will switch layers automatically you do not need to do anything.

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

its like i have two pieces of paper on top of each other, i can't see the second layer since the layer underneath is blocking the layer on top. you don't need to do anything, it automatically reads/burns the disc as if it's a single layer.

and yes, the super drive does burn dual layer dvds. the super drive writes/reads all cds, all dvds including dual layers. pretty much any disc thats not HD-DVD or Blu-Ray can be burned/read by the super drive with the exception of those mini laser discs still out there.