Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guet

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2003
This guy is going to get rich just from all the publicity he's getting.

I seriously doubt it. His other product is a crappy scientific calculator, and given his website he appears to be talentless in that domain too.

tedsmith3rd

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
US
I don't think the purchasers are stupid at all. They bought a $1000 app which is no longer available. So it's only going to appreciate in value. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the six purchasers are extremely stupid BUT ALSO that you might be right about the app possibly having some resale value. After all Piero Manzoni was able to sell clearly labeled cans of his own feces and currently at auction they sell for around $25,000. Can't imagine why Apple hasn't gotten into the canned poop business yet...

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
no the other 6 people didn't mean to buy it they just haven't submitted the chargeback with their credit card company or they credit card company hasn't notified Apple yet... give it a week or so then he will have sold 0..

Also how do you Accidently Buy something as every time I buy something I click the "Buy Now" button I get a confirmation asking me if I am sure I wanna buy it and I have to click "Buy Now" again.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
Also how do you Accidently Buy something as every time I buy something I click the "Buy Now" button I get a confirmation asking me if I am sure I wanna buy it and I have to click "Buy Now" again.

I think you can turn the confirmation off.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Its hard for me to believe that it was a mistake, because you actually have to hit the same button twice to download any application from the App store.

In my experience you have to hit the button labeled 'Free' or '$9.99' for example, and THEN hit install. So these people that accidentally bought this application must be pretty stupid. How do you basically make the same mistake twice?

EDIT: Ah. I read a little above me, and apparently you can turn that notification off. Still, isn't that 'safe guard' in place so you dont make this kind of mistake?

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I bought a knock-off version of it from the Canal St App Store for only $39.99. I'll be so ashamed if someone discovers it's not the real thing.

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I think he only made $3600, because AFAIK Apple is charging the developers with the 30 % transaction fees should a refund occur. I think he received $4200 for the 6 copies sold and had to pay Apple $600 for the 2 copies that were refunded.

Luveno

macrumors member
May 12, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
Would it be wrong of me to take a screen shot of the I Am Rich app, create a new application from it (seriously it takes 0 lines of code to do that), post it for $.99 and call it "I want people to think I Am Rich"?

I actually put together said application, and called it "I Look Rich." Apple pulled the original very shortly after I decided to create the app, so I didn't bother submitting the app. It would be hilarious if someone did, though.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Would it be wrong of me to take a screen shot of the I Am Rich app, create a new application from it (seriously it takes 0 lines of code to do that), post it for $.99 and call it "I want people to think I Am Rich"?

I would think that copping the image would open you to a copyright suit, but creating a somewhat similar image, well...

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Personally, I would rather see a confirmation dialog pop up if the price is over X amount -- even if the user has that feature turned off.

This is just a guess, and my own personal opinion but I would bet that the majority of people, aside from you, my good friend Sushi, would rather not get a dialog box popping up if that feature is turned off. I do not turn off features to have them annoy me anyway, what's the point of turning it off then?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
This guy is brilliant and hilarious.

Assuming his graphic was original, doing that would be a copyright violation. I'm sure people will do a hacked version, but Apple wouldn't be able to allow it on their store officially.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This is just a guess, and my own personal opinion but I would bet that the majority of people, aside from you, my good friend Sushi, would rather not get a dialog box popping up if that feature is turned off. I do not turn off features to have them annoy me anyway, what's the point of turning it off then?
You have a valid point.

But let's say you are going to purchase a $500 plus app. Would you mind then? I sure wouldn't. It would be better than loosing $500 on an app that I didn't mean to purchase.

Of course Apple could follow the strictest implementation and not ask for confirmation regardless of the price -- even if it was say $1,000 as we have seen here.

What we don't know, is the noise level with the current app store implementation. In other words, how many individuals have accidentally purchased an app? Maybe there are so few that nothing needs to be done.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think the two people DUMB enough to 'accidentally' click "Buy now" shouldn't have got their money back.

Stupid ****s.

Weird.

On OSX you get a warning dialog if you want to restart.
A warning dialog if you close a document without saving.
A warning dialog if you quit Safari with several tabs.
A warning dialog before you empty the trash.

But you shouldn't get a warning dialog before being charged $1000?

I guess Mac users must be the ultimate "stupid ****s"...:rolleyes:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Is there an "I AM POOR" app?

If there is it should be free.

those people who bought "I AM RICH" will probably want it eventually.

sofaking

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Here is a great Application Idea, Jiggling breasts

I am waiting for an application that has sexy woman on it that when you shake your phone, their breast jiggle. Another idea would be for their clothes to fall off when the phone is shaken or the article of clothing is touched. Someone with more time then me, please develop this.

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
Is there an "I AM POOR" app?

If there is it should be free.

those people who bought "I AM RICH" will probably want it eventually.

Haha!
honestly, someone should make that.
now if only it cost -$1000......
thats what i call making money off of the app store.

and how apple let this app go up on the first place is beyond me.

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
I am waiting for an application that has sexy woman on it that when you shake your phone, their breast jiggle. Another idea would be for their clothes to fall off when the phone is shaken or the article of clothing is touched. Someone with more time then me, please develop this.

That's a good one ;). I don't think this will show up in the App Store anytime soon heh...

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
well special car plates run like 60 bucks... not $999.

i bet you two apples..the two people who "accidently" purchased it..probably were thinking..this has to be fake..let me see and click it...who crap..its on my credit card summary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.