MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

NYTimes provides some followup details on Armin Heinrich's I Am Rich application that sold for $999.99 and simply displayed a red gem on the iPhone's screen.

An earlier report from the developer had indicated that 8 people had bought the app.

NYTimes reports that Heinrich has been notified by Apple that two of the eight sales had been reversed since they had been purchased by mistake. That still brings the developer's net revenue at near $4200. Apple pulled the app shortly after its posting for unclear reasons.

Article Link

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
So that means 6 individuals purchased the app because they wanted it.

Imagine that.

Apple should have left it up on the app store. Oh well.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
I think the two people DUMB enough to 'accidentally' click "Buy now" shouldn't have got their money back.

Stupid ****s.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Imagine that.

Apple should have left it up on the app store. Oh well.

They will sue him for misleading advertisement.
He claimed: If you buy this application, everyone thinks you are filthy rich. But what actually happens: If you buy this application, everyone thinks you are bloody stupid :confused:

I think the two people DUMB enough to 'accidentally' click "Buy now" shouldn't have got their money back.

I'd say anyone who clicked on "Buy now" by accident is ten times smarter than anyone who bought this intentionally.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005

Imagine that.

This should be no surprise, people buy all sorts of entirely useless items just to show that they have the money to be able to do it. Personalised number plates would be one example...

Do I make you

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
they have it on cydia for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
they have it on cydia for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I lol'd. The real one is cracked too, if you do that stuff....

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Personally, I was saying the same thing.....

I'm sure Apple just didn't want to risk potential bad publicity, when the news media went crazy warning people that these poor people "couldn't get their $1000 back after they simply clicked a wrong button by mistake" and so on.

But really, at least one of them already admitted they clicked to buy it because they "thought it was a joke" and just wanted to see what would happen when they did it. Well, duh ... what happened was they were billed $999.99, just like the web site said, and they were able to download the app, just as advertised!

Anyone doing that deserves a $999.99 lesson in using online stores!

Stupid ****s.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Would it be wrong of me to take a screen shot of the I Am Rich app, create a new application from it (seriously it takes 0 lines of code to do that), post it for $.99 and call it "I want people to think I Am Rich"?

DPBida

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Would it be wrong of me to take a screen shot of the I Am Rich app, create a new application from it (seriously it takes 0 lines of code to do that), post it for $.99 and call it "I want people to think I Am Rich"?

I'm actually praying someone does this.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Damn, I wish it was back... I was saving up and waiting for my next payday.. maybe a 2.0 version will come out with a blue gem!

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007

Stupid ****s.

I don't think people get how easy it is to buy something on the app store.

It doesn't add it to your cart if you have that enabled. If you don't have the warning, if you buy something just by having one wrong click or anything really, as soon as you hit the buy now it automatically purchases it and starts downloading it. No "Are you sure you want to buy this". It just buys it.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I don't think the purchasers are stupid at all. They bought a $1000 app which is no longer available. So it's only going to appreciate in value. Nothing wrong with that.

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
My guess is they pulled the app AFTER the two people asked for the charges to be reversed. They probably left it up until this happened and then realized the app was going to generate a lot of problems of this nature and that's probably the very reason for it's being removed.

brewty

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
This should be no surprise, people buy all sorts of entirely useless items just to show that they have the money to be able to do it. Personalised number plates would be one example...

I know I'm new here, but I will interject on this. I have personalized plates for my small business, not only is it a tax write off, but it is advertising. I wouldn't say that is entirely useless.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
I don't think the purchasers are stupid at all. They bought a $1000 app which is no longer available. So it's only going to appreciate in value. Nothing wrong with that.

Except that unless you crack the DRM, it's not like you can re-sell it to someone else...

So it's actually not only useless, but also worthless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.