Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.

You're through to Irene.

Irene: Hi I'm Irene. How can I help?

: Will the iphone 5 be available for preorder ?

Irene: Well as if now, we're not placing any preorders for iPhone5.

: Ok. Do you know any more details about the iphone5 or are you not being told anything ?

Irene: Let me check this.

Irene: As Apple hasn't declared a definite date when the iPhone5 is going to be launched, so we're also unable to tell the release date either. When Apple releases the iPhone 5 and we've a definite date for offering this to our customers, we'll post it on our website.

Irene:

Irene: Apple keeps release dates of all it's products secret so we also don't know the release date either

: Okay fair enough. Do you know if they are offering 2 new phones or 1 ?

Irene: I'm sorry, I'm unable to understand the exact nature of your query. Do you mean that you want to know if they're launching two new models of iPhone or one?

: yes

Irene: Thanks for clarifying.

Irene: It'll be one model only but we've no idea about the exact name of new iPhone. It may be named as iPhone 5 or something else.

: Thanks for your help.

Of course this only an o2 customer services person. Take of it what you will.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
Man i am not interested in the iPhone 4s. I sure hope they release the 5, Or i will just keep my iPhone 4

I agree.

They managed to give the iPad a nice upgrade to the iPad 2, at a time when lets face it, there were no Android tablets to really compete, and Apple iPad market share was and still is huge.

Yet the next iphone is going to face huge competition. To release one new iphone with a moderate spec bump is going to test apples fan loyalty to the max. I think they might struggle to gain market dominance if they did this.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Interesting. It's possible they have had some form of meeting with staff to give a few details out but i doubt they know any more than us.

Pinkiy

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Surrey, UK
Man i am not interested in the iPhone 4s. I sure hope they release the 5, Or i will just keep my iPhone 4

its down to everyones circumstances though, for yourself thats ok. but me for example with my blackberry 8250 even if its a 4s i'll be getting it :D

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
When you talk about 4s vs 5, what do you really mean? It'll be called a 5 regardless, and it'll definitely have spec bumps. So is the issue whether there's a form factor change? Is that what all this hand wringing is about?

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
The tech seems like they arent very well aware of the new iphone. this isnt reliable.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
When you talk about 4s vs 5, what do you really mean? It'll be called a 5 regardless, and it'll definitely have spec bumps. So is the issue whether there's a form factor change? Is that what all this hand wringing is about?

I believe so yes. The difference in peoples mind is the IPhone 5 will have a bigger screen, new design vs the IPhone 4 which will have the same form factor with new camera, A5 chip. It's the 5th generation IPhone so it will be an a 5.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
The tech seems like they arent very well aware of the new iphone. this isnt reliable.

They probably have been told as much as they are getting a new iphone, and maybe an estimate as to how many.

But anything apart from that, such as name, specs etc i am sure they have not been told.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
There is NO way they would know as Apple is letting this slip out. If they did this place woild be buzzing with this single rumor.

Not saying it is not so but we will not know for a few more days. I will buy a 4S if it has a better processor and get the 5 when they ship it.:p

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
C'mon Irene. You know nothing.

You'd think that. But she seemed pretty confident that there would only be one. Of course, she's only saying whats she's been told.

But the chances are someone high up at o2 does indeed know what's coming.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Just to add another opinion in the mix where i haven't seen this before said. I took everything pretty literally on the apple invitation as most people did, however did everyone seem to overlook the "1" bubble notification?

I figure if they wanted to be super cryptic about it and more obvious (with 2 phones coming out) they would have put a "2" bubble notification.

Just my thought.

iPhone5-invitation.jpeg

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Awesome. Another fragile-glass constructed phone. Another year of these to look forward to:

iphone-shatter-port.jpg

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
What if there's an iPhone 4S and a low-priced iPhone 4?

That's what it looks like now. I'm mostly convinced at this point that we'll see a 4S, which most of us will still buy (lol) and a reduced-price 8GB iPhone 4.

And you know what? We'll applaud and bleat, as always.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Say no to the iPhone 4S! Oh well I don't think ppl gonna fall for the iPhone 4S like they did for the 3GS did very successful at launch day. Oh wait there were no lines at all for the 3GS I just walked in and got it.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
That's what it looks like now. I'm mostly convinced at this point that we'll see a 4S, which most of us will still buy (lol) and a reduced-price 8GB iPhone 4.

And you know what? We'll applaud and bleat, as always.

One thing we know is that the difference between a low-priced iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S has to be significant enough for people to want to shell out more for the 4S. So, if it is significant enough for people to want to pay more over the low-priced iPhone 4, then it's a solid update. :D

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
One thing we know is that the difference between a low-priced iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S has to be significant enough for people to want to shell out more for the 4S. So, if it is significant enough for people to want to pay more over the low-priced iPhone 4, then it's a solid update. :D

Don't forget though, the 3G > 3GS update was pretty marginal and people at it up.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Don't forget though, the 3G > 3GS update was pretty marginal and people at it up.

It was still a crap upgrade, all things considered. The compass never worked as advertised, and the speed factor was overrated.

Video was nice, but you could get video on the 3G by jailbreaking anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.