Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinoh33

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Im using bootcamp to install Windows XP with service pack 2. Yea i know it's a little old. But I'm trying to install it but everytime it asks for which partition to choose from, theres only 1 partition which is basically my whole drive.

I did everything the instructions said:

Go to Apps>Utilities>Bootcamp Assistant

Then I partitioned it to 32g. I inserted my Windows XP disk and my MacBook Pro restarted with the blue windows setup screen but with only 1 partition.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please help me?

Thanks in Advance

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you have a phone or a camera to take a picture to show us?

I don't remember exactly what the setup assistant shows, but maybe it only shows one partition (FAT32), because it can't read the Mac OS X partition (HFS+), and shows that partition as un-partioned space.

For example you have a 250GB HDD, which you have partitioned 32GB for Windows and the rest is Mac OS X (218GB).

The installer should show three entries, one roughly 220MB (225280 KB), which mustn't be deleted. One is 32GB (32.768MB = 33.554.432 KB) and one is 218GB (223.232MB = 228.589.569 KB).
Choose the 32GB one.

kevinoh33

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Do you have a phone or a camera to take a picture to show us?

I don't remember exactly what the setup assistant shows, but maybe it only shows one partition (FAT32), because it can't read the Mac OS X partition (HFS+), and shows that partition as un-partioned space.

For example you have a 250GB HDD, which you have partitioned 32GB for Windows and the rest is Mac OS X (218GB).

The installer should show three entries, one roughly 220MB (225280 KB), which mustn't be deleted. One is 32GB (32.768MB = 33.554.432 KB) and one is 218GB (223.232MB = 228.589.569 KB).
Choose the 32GB one.

This is what I mean:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1567/sdc11210d.jpg

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How big is the entire HDD, as 127GiB (or 137GB) is quite a strange size?

Btw, I scaled your image down via Preview to 800 x 600.
4440132390_c7700f66c0_o.png

Do you have access to Windows XP SP 3?

kevinoh33

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Had you made any previous attempts at installation?

Can you provide a screen shot of what the device's partition map looks like in Disk Utility? It should show two, and identify the 32GB one as BootCamp.

Here:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4584/screenshot20100317at122.png

And I also changed my disk name from "Untitled" to "Macintosh HD"

Spinnerlys, Im not quite what you mean but it s a 250GB MacBook Pro .

I'm looking at how much free space I have right now and it seems like I have 203gb currently which means the the other disk space is in the Windows Partition

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Unfortunetly, I do not have Windows XP sp3

I don't think this is the issue, but you can always make an SP3 disc from your existing SP2 disc e.g. http://www.winsupersite.com/xp/sp3_slipstream.asp if you don't have a Windows box handy, your Mac and virtualbox or a trial of parallels/fusion and your SP2 disc would do.

Something is FUBAR with the protective MBR that is supposed to let Windows do its thing even though you have a GPT formatted disc. As spinnerlys says the drive size seems wrong.

Personally, I'd be tempted to start from scratch, including OS X since you don't seem to have much on the box yet. If you have an external HDD use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your OS X disk to that. Boot from the external and completely wipe out the partitions on the internal drive. then use SD/CCC to bring back the clone image you created.

EDIT: Whenever Apple adopts "Advanced Format" 4K drives, running Boot Camp and XP will be even more "fun" as we'll have to make sure the partitions are aligned properly. http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3691

B

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Here:....

And I also changed my disk name from "Untitled" to "Macintosh HD"

Spinnerlys, Im not quite what you mean but it s a 250GB MacBook Pro .

I'm looking at how much free space I have right now and it seems like I have 203gb currently which means the the other disk space is in the Windows Partition

It looks normal.

After creating the Boot Camp partition using the Assistant, do you go directly to booting off the Windows Installer CD? Formatting the BC partition takes place during the Windows installation, not through Disk Utility. Just double checking that you're going through the correct steps (though I'm not sure pre-formatting the BC partition would prevent it from showing up in the partition list in Windows Installer).

One thought I just had, related to a possible corrupt GUID table, is to have you get a list of all the partitions (including hidden) of your disk.

Open Terminal (in your Utilities folder) and enter the following command:
Code:
diskutil list disk0

You should get something like this:
Code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS UB MBP Mirror 7200      307.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                12.8 GB    disk0s3

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It looks normal.

After creating the Boot Camp partition using the Assistant, do you go directly to booting off the Windows Installer CD? Formatting the BC partition takes place during the Windows installation, not through Disk Utility. Just double checking that you're going through the correct steps (though I'm not sure pre-formatting the BC partition would prevent it from showing up in the partition list in Windows Installer).

BCA usually pre-formats the partition FAT32 and labels it BOOTCAMP so that both the Windows installer and the human can find it easily. This seems OK as seen by DU which understands GPT.

XP only understands MBR so it is supposed to read a translation of the real partition map and that doesn't seem to be working.

EDIT: It's the 131070 MB size disk as seen by Windows that I don't get. It's like something is reporting th drive as having half as many heads cylinders or sectors than it actually has.

kevinoh33 have you tried zapping PRAM? (Kinda the equivalent of setting yoru PC BIOS to factory conditions).

B

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
EDIT: It's the 131070 MB size disk as seen by Windows that I don't get. It's like something is reporting th drive as having half as many heads cylinders or sectors than it actually has.

B

That's what got me thinking there might be something wrong with the GUID table itself. Seems like the MBR emulation isn't quite right.

kevinoh33

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I'm really sorry but i'm not very familiar with computer terms. Can you tell me step by step in how to what your telling me to do.

This is all that I have done so far:

And I followed the instructions on the printed manual precisely. After it finishes partitioning, it tells me to insert the Windows disk and click "continue"
After I click continue, it automatically reboots into the windows setup.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I'm really sorry but i'm not very familiar with computer terms. Can you tell me step by step in how to what your telling me to do.

This is all that I have done so far:
And I followed the instructions on the printed manual precisely. After it finishes partitioning, it tells me to insert the Windows disk and click "continue"
After I click continue, it automatically reboots into the windows setup.

Looks perfect, and sounds like you're following the correct procedure. I'll have to do some research and see if I can come up with anything that'll keep the partitions from showing up in the Windows Installer table (should be a C: and D: drive. The C: should be the BOOTCAMP partition).

tomllama

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
CA
I doubt it is a SP2 vs SP3 issue as SP2 installed fine for me and then I simply updated to SP3 after the install completed.

You mention following the printed directions... When I did it I downloaded the directions from the Apple web site (and also found the boot camp updates there). If you are dealing with pre-printed directions that came with the MBP, they might not be current/correct. Try comparing them with what's online.

As I mentioned in your other post, the first time through I didn't follow the directions exactly and had an issue with the partitions not showing up as expected (according to the directions) so I stopped and restarted and then they showed up correctly.

kevinoh33

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I doubt it is a SP2 vs SP3 issue as SP2 installed fine for me and then I simply updated to SP3 after the install completed.

You mention following the printed directions... When I did it I downloaded the directions from the Apple web site (and also found the boot camp updates there). If you are dealing with pre-printed directions that came with the MBP, they might not be current/correct. Try comparing them with what's online.

As I mentioned in your other post, the first time through I didn't follow the directions exactly and had an issue with the partitions not showing up as expected (according to the directions) so I stopped and restarted and then they showed up correctly.

I meant that I printed the directions and I compared it to the directions on the Apple site and it's the same. Are there updates to bootcamp because I don't know how to update them. The ones I can see on the Apple site is bootcamp updates for Windows.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Delete the partition.

Repair the disk (After booting off from another drive or disk)

Repartition the drive.

Install.

I had this issue before and it was a disk corruption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.