Only US citizens can purchase an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ygv2000, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ygv2000 macrumors newbie

Hey All!

I am wondering - I live outside the USA and I have a friend who is a student in New York City these days. He's coming back for a visit here in a month and I'm wondering about how could he bring me the new iPhone (choosing the no-commitment purchase option).

My ideal situation was if I could pay for it on the internet and have it wait for him in-store or even better sent to his address. Can I do that? Should it be on Apple or AT&T Store? Or I must be a US citizen or AT&T user or something like that? Can I just pre-order over the web from here and pay with an international credit card?
    If all of those options are not available for me - can I just tell him to go to the nearest Apple/AT&T Store and purchase it there no-commitment? Is that as easy as it sounds? Or you must be a US citizen to make the purchase?

Please help out...
    Thanks!

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Must be an AT&T user, don't you have an iPhone 4 release in your country (depends on the release date though)? Also, he does not have the option of buying it no commitment, only if he doesn't qualify for upgrades.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I believe only people with AT&T contracts will be able to buy a no-commitment phone, at least at launch. Doesn't make much sense, but that's how it's been in the past.

4. ygv2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the fast answer... even though it saddens me a bit :(
    i guess it'll be rolling out in my country only in september and the current 3GS costs here almost 1000$ (you must buy it with contract and you pay for it for 18 months that altogether gets to that amount) which is way(!!) too expensive!

so there's no option to buy this in the us? even not on launch day? he's departing from the us on mid july. Maybe on best buy or other brand? No way for him to buy this commitment-free?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

AT&T will have you tied to there network no way to factory unlock your phone. which means you will always have to be careful about updating firmware. and then losing your unlock. some countries will sell Factory unlocked phones at their release Belgium,Australia and Brazil have had them in the past. from past experience the cost would be about your $1000 at release. that would really be the way to go unless you buy it from home. then at least if you loose your unlock you still have service on your network. BTW last your Australia sold factory unlocked phones right off the carriers website and shipped as well.

6. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

stylinexpat

Phones sold in Hong Kong are usually sold unlocked.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you choose the no commintment pricing, then there is no strings attached and you can walk away freely. Also, anyone can buy the phone this way. However, you won't be able to use it because:

1. It ain't activated
    2. It won't be unlocked for a while.

8. ygv2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't have a problem with unlocking it. i have had iphone first gen for 3 almost three years and it was unlocked all the way. i would rather not unlock it, but not for 300$ more...

i have two friends, one is coming from the US and one from Germany. i'll ask them both to check if they can purchase it no-commitment. i hope one of them could...

So you're saying that IS possible. Anyone can? Are you referring to Apple or AT&T stores? What about other options like Best Buy?