Only way I upgrade Ipad 2 is better display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by faith4more, Jan 20, 2011.

1. faith4more macrumors regular

The current display is fine for movies etc and is even quite good. But for reading I hate the jagged pixels.

I also have an iphone 4 and it has spoiled me forever. I love the screen real estate on the ipad but the text on the iphone 4 is so perfect it annoys me when I go to ipad and its pixelated.

So waiting to see what they bring us. If they don't deliver no problem I wait for ipad 3. While camera, more ports etc nice features only screen will make me shell out more $$$.

2. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Tbh, I'm still perfectly happy with my current iPad. It does everything I ask of it and while a higher resolution screen is tempting, to me, it's not worth the investment.

What would make lean toward upgrading is 128GB of storage. :eek:

3. faith4more thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is fine in many ways. It is my favorite device. But better screen would be huge benefit to anyone who uses it to read a lot.

4. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I've gotten used to reading on the pad, but more resolution would be great. I'll upgrade next time if there's better screen resolution. I'm not upgrading this time, though, I'm still completely happy with the thing.:)

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

To the contrary, I returned my iPhone 4 and had no problem going back to my 3GS. So while a higher res screen would be nice, I'm much more interested in the RAM, CPU, storage, and camera upgrades which are supposed to come. As a bonus, the iPads current screen has a higher PPI than my 3GS so it will still look better to me.

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Some people must have mighty good vision to notice anything wrong with the current iPad screen. It would be last on my list of things to upgrade on version 2.

7. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

the only reason why the ip4 is selling so hot is because of THE SCREEN.

iPad2 no 2048x1536, no buy!

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

x3

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

It'll take all of these changes (RAM, CPU, Storage, and Resolution) to convince me to upgrade after only a year--only 2-3 of them just wouldn't be enough justification, IMO. Now if the wife wanted to take my current unit off my hands, that's another story :D.

10. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Gee we're all getting fussy. The iPad's only been arround a year and we're demanding a 2048x1536 secreen!

Yes it would be nice for reading, though I stll preferr reading on the iPad than my iPhone.

If this and an SD slot is all it has to offer I'll wait for the iPad 3 to upgrade and get the iPhone 5 (or 4Gs or what ever they call it this year) this year instead.

11. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

I agree about 95% of the OP's post.

If a double res screen is implemented on the new iPad, then it's a definite purchase from me.

The only other thing that may influence me to purchase an iPad 2 is a 128Gb version, but I haven't really heard any/much talk of that, so I am not too optimistic about that.

So looks like no screen upgrade=no purchase from me.

12. brig2221 macrumors 6502

Same here. I'm not a real technofile when it comes to the chipsets and ram they put in these things. Obviously you want faster chipsets and more ram, but honestly I typically can't tell much of a difference most of the time anyways.

What I can tell a difference on, and practically everyone else can as well, is the screen resolution. Lets face it, it's one giant screen. I briefly has the first iPad and decided to take it back. I will be all over the second iteration if they throw a nice HD/Retina display. If they throw out a camera and a few minor chipset changes, no sale for me padre.

13. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Regardless of whether or not they upgrade the display I don't see myself jumping to the 2nd version... I'm still very happy and content with the current iPad...

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Listen to what u all asking. The resolution like that would be expensive on9.7 inch tablet. Apple will sell enough iPads even without u guys. Don't expect too much.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I agree with OP, the best new thing about iPad 2 would be a higher-res display. :eek:

16. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I can only see it now if the iPad does come with a new screen, sure the resolution would be great, but how many threads about stuck or dead pixels will flood this place and every Mac blog across the planet. ;)

17. BrennerM macrumors regular

But if the pixels are too small to be seen, how do you know if you have dead pixels and why would you care? :D

18. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

AND an Improved Screen and that's the clincher right there! :D

19. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Ditto... the only way I'd consider an iPad 2 is for retina display otherwise I'll wait until iPad 3.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't care what reports are claiming. Apple is a same company that released on iPhone in 2007.

They won't do all of these updates in a year after original model was released.

1. Retina Display=Double resolution
    2. Double Ram
    3. Dual Core CPU
    4. Double Storage
    5. Adding 2 cameras
    6. Adding SD card slot

No. They won't. Retina Display costs too much. If I were apple, I would wait for iPad 3. Is iPad 2 their last model in iPad lines? No. Stick the same resolution and wait for next iPad. Tablet market will continue to grow and those people who still don't have iPads will buy iPad 2. Original owners can hold on their iPad a little longer. Stop dreaming about 1080P resolution on iPad. idiots.

21. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

As am I. I don't care about FaceTime, and there's very little that I've read that could make me want to upgrade to the next version. We'll see what iPad 3 has to see if I'll upgrade or not. :p

22. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

The iPad does not have a higher ppi than your 3GS. In fact your iPad's ppi is much lower, hence the horribly jagged lines.

I won't buy an iPad unless Apple at least doubles the resolution and preferaby gets it up to at least 326 ppi, but I'm not expecting that yet, though it needs to happen before too long.

23. css1323 macrumors regular

The reason question should be, why did you torture yourself?! :confused:

Haha, j/k. :p

The 3GS is still a good phone for getting the job done, it's quite fast under 4.2.1. But, like the OP, I'm spoiled by the 4's display. No high-res iPad display = no buy for me either. I need to see things in high detail since my eyes aren't the best.

If the iPod Touch 4G can get a "Retina" display as well - something that's being mass-produced on a big scale already - you would think the iPad would follow suit. Who really knows until launch, it's just fun to talk about.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Finally, a sound mind! I agree here, I would not mind seeing other features over any display bump.

25. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Perhaps due the possibility that I would like to see more Mac news etc., than people complaining about how horrible their new iPad is due to a single stuck pixel despite the resolution. :p